Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Teacher Strike on Thursday 27 June  (Read 18584 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Teacher Strike on Thursday 27 June
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »
I think Duke would be wise to keep quiet about that next time he's in hospital - a clumsy enema can be surprisingly painful  :o

I try not to clog up the NHS with cosmetic desires. If more thought the same,the NHS would cost us less and provide a better service

Dave

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:09 AM »
working in the public sector is being a scrounger off the state

I think Duke would be wise to keep quiet about that next time he's in hospital - a clumsy enema can be surprisingly painful  :o

Duke Fame

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2013, 10:22:12 PM »
This is what you have to do to get an early pension on ill health grounds:  https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/resources/~/media/Files/Documents/Forms/Ill_health_factsheet_v1_0.ashx

To satisfy the criteria for early retirement on grounds of ill health,
it is necessary to demonstrate that:
•    The applicant suffers from a recognised medical condition;
•    The applicant has completed all reasonable treatment;
•    The medical condition renders them incapable of teaching,
either full or part-time or at another establishment;
•    The incapacity is on the balance of probability likely to continue
until normal retirement age.

So congratulations to Duke's 'pal' who could be an Oscar-winning actor with an unusually compliant GP, for taking us all for a ride. But the reality is, Duke's pal isn't coping - s/he must be desperate to get out of teaching, and that's the point I've been trying to make - it's not a job for us old codgers! 

He has the easiest life ever, his hours are so short and as he says, you don't have to hit the kids, just make them think you will hit them.

Duke Fame

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19:45 PM »
As you're so hot on benefit scroungers I guess that as soon as he does it you're ready to turn him in. Here's the link just in case you have lost it:
https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

It's also available in Welsh...

I've pointed out to him that working in the public sector is being a scrounger off the state, it really makes little difference.

Dave

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
This is what you have to do to get an early pension on ill health grounds:  https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/resources/~/media/Files/Documents/Forms/Ill_health_factsheet_v1_0.ashx

To satisfy the criteria for early retirement on grounds of ill health,
it is necessary to demonstrate that:
•    The applicant suffers from a recognised medical condition;
•    The applicant has completed all reasonable treatment;
•    The medical condition renders them incapable of teaching,
either full or part-time or at another establishment;
•    The incapacity is on the balance of probability likely to continue
until normal retirement age.

So congratulations to Duke's 'pal' who could be an Oscar-winning actor with an unusually compliant GP, for taking us all for a ride. But the reality is, Duke's pal isn't coping - s/he must be desperate to get out of teaching, and that's the point I've been trying to make - it's not a job for us old codgers! 

Howard

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 05:34:28 PM »

Is it not the fact that it's so easy for teachers to be pensioned off, so many are just playing the game. My pal who is a teacher has it all worked out, he'd working up to his x numbe rof years and feigning a breakdown to be pensioned off.

As you're so hot on benefit scroungers I guess that as soon as he does it you're ready to turn him in. Here's the link just in case you have lost it:
https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/benefitfraud/

It's also available in Welsh...

Duke Fame

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182407/DFE-RR151.pdf

To save Duke from ploughing through it, the key paragraphs are:

• Leavers from teaching can be grouped into retirements (25%) and
movements out of the publicly funded sector (75%). Some of the latter group
will have remained in teaching, in the independent sector, further education or
teaching outside of England.
• Factors statistically associated with non-retirement teacher wastage
(potentially cases of ‘burn-out’) included part-time working patterns, having
less than 5 years of teaching experience, overseas or Teach First training,
and being aged over 40 for male teachers or over 50 for female teachers.

The final words there are an illustration of why teaching is not a suitable occupation for retirees.   ::)

Is it not the fact that it's so easy for teachers to be pensioned off, so many are just playing the game. My pal who is a teacher has it all worked out, he'd working up to his x numbe rof years and feigning a breakdown to be pensioned off.

wheels

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »
And there is me thinking I was being very mild mannered on this occasion.

I also think that if I as a middle aged, well 60+ is middle aged now, white, middle class male hold these views, in common with many others, then the Police have a real problem. How do the disaffected of our society feel.

Your right Simone I have a real suspicion of the police both as an institution and of the individuals.

simonesaffron

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 02:29:55 PM »
Personally, I couldn't care less whether teachers strike or not, what I do have strong views on is that teachers striking, post office workers, civil servants and the rest are clearly striking at the behest of the unions who want to destabilise the Government. I don't agree with everything that this Government has done, but it is a fact of life that there has to be cuts to try and restore some financial management to the country after three terms of a labour Government landed us with a mega debt.

I also wish to take exception to comments of 'wheel' on 27/6 in which he referred to 'our police thugs' the Police do a sterling job, putting their lives on the line on a daily basis, as happened with the murders of the two police officers in Tameside. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I think Beverley it will take quite a bit more than you to "take exception" to induce a feeling of shame in Wheels.

There are some police heroes I agree and the Tameside example that you quote was a tragedy. But there are also some police villains as well. I recall hearing last week how an unarmed innocent man was shot dead in the street because some police officer mistakenly though that he had a gun. I think that the inquest recorded a verdict of unlawful killing. I think if you study the figures you'll find quite a lot of reference to death and injury to innocent people caused by the Police's "bad judgement." So, Whilst I don't agree with Wheel's histrionic descriptions he does have appoint with the rest of it.

Dave

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 08:50:49 AM »
Give it a go Duke - you might even last ten minutes   :D

Duke Fame

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/182407/DFE-RR151.pdf

The final words there are an illustration of why teaching is not a suitable occupation for retirees.   ::)

Because teachers aren't up to the job doesn't mean that those who may want to coast into retirement shouldn't transfer into the profession.

Dave

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 04:44:52 PM »
They are not necessarily unruly, but sadly it seems that bad behaviour is on the increase - ask any teacher, or check this post from earlier in this very thread:
Apparently about 75% of teachers get out of teaching before they reach retirement age - I believe it is statistically the highest burnout rate of any job!  So only on Planet Duke would anyone suggest that: 

I'd like to see those statistics. I doubt many people stay in the same role for as long as a teacher so very much doubt the validity of your stats.

Duke Fame

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
With tuition fees and student loans, teachers largely pay for their own training these days. In any case I want teachers to be properly qualified to teach my children. One of the worrying strands of thought from the present Education Minister is the belief that people can just step into teaching without any training.

As with any job teachers become more experienced over time but a life times experience doesn't necessarily make you a good teacher. And I have seen some excellent young newly qualified teachers.

The teachers strike will have no effect on the changes to their pensions. This has been implemented in most other areas of the public sector. However, they have the right to also protest against cuts in teaching assistants and yet another round of changes to the curriculum.

They have the right to strike but the government should have the right to not take a blind bit of notice, as do the public who pay their wages.

Dave

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 02:50:52 PM »
Why do assume that teenagers are necessarily unruly ? Serious over generalisation .
They are not necessarily unruly, but sadly it seems that bad behaviour is on the increase - ask any teacher, or check this post from earlier in this very thread:
In my son's class there are two extremely badly behaved and disruptive/violent boys. They constantly seem to 'get away' with it, many parents are fed up. There has been violence, bullying over special needs/disabilities and racism and sexually explicit language etc. as well as daily disruption, throwing chairs etc. They really spoil it for the rest of the class. There should be better discipline and if they can't behave they should be kicked into isolation/bad behaviour schools.

Apparently about 75% of teachers get out of teaching before they reach retirement age - I believe it is statistically the highest burnout rate of any job!  So only on Planet Duke would anyone suggest that: 
teaching should be a job that people retire into.