Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Teacher Strike on Thursday 27 June  (Read 18524 times)

The Giffer

Re: Teacher Strike on Thursday 27 June
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
Don't you just love that phrase  :D  Don't know what Duke does for a living, but if it's even tougher or more 'real world' than standing in front of 30 unruly teenagers day after day and attempting to instill some knowledge into them, I'd love to know what it is! 

Why do assume that teenagers are necessarily unruly ? Serious over generalisation .

Middle wood

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
With tuition fees and student loans, teachers largely pay for their own training these days. In any case I want teachers to be properly qualified to teach my children. One of the worrying strands of thought from the present Education Minister is the belief that people can just step into teaching without any training.

As with any job teachers become more experienced over time but a life times experience doesn't necessarily make you a good teacher. And I have seen some excellent young newly qualified teachers.

The teachers strike will have no effect on the changes to their pensions. This has been implemented in most other areas of the public sector. However, they have the right to also protest against cuts in teaching assistants and yet another round of changes to the curriculum.

Duke Fame

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 12:40:14 PM »
Don't you just love that phrase  :D  Don't know what Duke does for a living, but if it's even tougher or more 'real world' than standing in front of 30 unruly teenagers day after day and attempting to instill some knowledge into them, I'd love to know what it is! 

A job which they have been trained to do at the state's expense?

My point is that teachers rarely leave education for any significant time before their teaching career. It leaves teachers with a lack of a world view. Personally, I think teaching should be a job that people retire into.

wheels

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »
Personally, I couldn't care less whether teachers strike or not, what I do have strong views on is that teachers striking, post office workers, civil servants and the rest are clearly striking at the behest of the unions who want to destabilise the Government. I don't agree with everything that this Government has done, but it is a fact of life that there has to be cuts to try and restore some financial management to the country after three terms of a labour Government landed us with a mega debt.

I also wish to take exception to comments of 'wheel' on 27/6 in which he referred to 'our police thugs' the Police do a sterling job, putting their lives on the line on a daily basis, as happened with the murders of the two police officers in Tameside. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Sterling job lol. On a day when we see the report that many forces are misusing stop and search. What you see as individual doing a sterling job I see as institutional bullies.

Dave

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 08:13:59 AM »
the problem with teachers is that they haven't had a real world job.

Miss C

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 11:26:21 PM »

"It's a very selfish attitude, the problem with teachers is that they haven't had a real world job."

How lovely, Duke. Any other untrue, offensive and ignorant comments you'd like to bring to the table? Or do you just enjoy being provocative for the sake of it? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Duke Fame

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »
It's a free country, so they say and Teachers the same as any other group of employees are entitled to be in dispute with their employers if they wish.

What I don't understand is the tepid tactics of the Teachers during these "disputes". Can there be a more powerful, political lobby these days than the Teachers? When the miners had that mantle in post - war Britain they just went on strike until their demands were met. They didn't have credit cards, partners with jobs, money in the bank. They worked to eat and were fortunate if they got a couple of quid out of the hardship fund but they stuck it out until they got what they thought was right - whether it was or not. In the end we didn't need their coal anymore, so they were beaten but Teachers don't have that problem.

What is the point of "striking" for one day in the middle of June ? For one day we can always get granny in or a neighbour or take a day off work to look after the kids.

If Teachers really feel that they've got a dispute then why don't they strike for two weeks in the run up to Christmas this year, then threaten to strike for the first week back in January . See what effect that has,then the politicians will really sit up and take notice.

Because it's very unlikely in those weeks that they will get a nice day in the garden catching some rays and having a glass or two of Lambrini.

In the debate, I hardly hear any consideration for teacher's customers i.e. the kids and parents, teachers seem to think schools exist to provide them a living.

It's a very selfish attitude, the problem with teachers is that they haven't had a real world job.

beverley hills

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »
Personally, I couldn't care less whether teachers strike or not, what I do have strong views on is that teachers striking, post office workers, civil servants and the rest are clearly striking at the behest of the unions who want to destabilise the Government. I don't agree with everything that this Government has done, but it is a fact of life that there has to be cuts to try and restore some financial management to the country after three terms of a labour Government landed us with a mega debt.

I also wish to take exception to comments of 'wheel' on 27/6 in which he referred to 'our police thugs' the Police do a sterling job, putting their lives on the line on a daily basis, as happened with the murders of the two police officers in Tameside. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Dave

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 06:05:32 PM »
Actually I think all three of us are saying the same thing in slightly different ways: that the teachers are avoiding calling an all-out strike because they are scared of getting on the wrong side of public opinion.

wheels

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 04:06:10 PM »
It could be that they have not got the bottle as you put it because many of them know they do not have a case nor do they think that they would garner public support at the moment.

simonesaffron

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
Simone, if you need evidence for how the tabloid press shapes public opinion, look no further than 'scroungers on welfare' and 'migrants who take our jobs'.   ::)

Dave,

Of course I accept that the media in general and tabloid press in particular shape public opinion. What I am saying is particularly about the Teachers. Their tactics of one day strikes where half the schools are shut and half of them are half -shut are totally ineffective. If you are going to withdraw your labour then withdraw it. If you're going to have a fight, have one, don't just take your coat off then put it back on because you think some nasty journo will write something bad about you.

I repeat the Teachers haven't got the bottle and the government and the public know it.     

Dave

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »
Simone, if you need evidence for how the tabloid press shapes public opinion, look no further than 'scroungers on welfare' and 'migrants who take our jobs'.   ::)

simonesaffron

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »
No doubt the teaching unions have considered taking such an approach, and realised that it would almost certainly be counter-productive.  The Murdoch papers and the other right-wing press (Mail, Express, Telegraph) would have a field day, lambasting these disgraceful teachers who punish innocent defenceless children for their own selfish ends, etc etc etc.  Public opinion would quickly turn against them, and the teachers' campaign would soon collapse

Dave,

Apart from the bit about the Tory trio press I disagree entirely with your whole assertion, public opinion would be divided. In fact that's the big issue now anybody that has anything to say or do that courts the slightest bit of controversy, in the very first instance before they do it, considers the stance of the press  - exactly as you are doing, and that governs whether they will do it or not. Press reaction should be a side-effect of a stance not the reason for it.

Anyway, whatever our disagreements, you surely must agree that announced and spasmodic one day strikes by Teachers are a pointless exercise for them and will produce nothing for them only the loss of a day's pay and irritation from the public. Such "disputes" are just seen as a minor inconvenience that parents will surely learn to cope with very easily.       

No, the reason the unions have not taken my previously suggested route is quite simply because the Teachers themselves have not got the bottle for it.

Probably because they have given too much consideration to the reaction of the Press.

Dave

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
If Teachers really feel that they've got a dispute then why don't they strike for two weeks in the run up to Christmas this year, then threaten to strike for the first week back in January . See what effect that has,then the politicians will really sit up and take notice.   

No doubt the teaching unions have considered taking such an approach, and realised that it would almost certainly be counter-productive.  The Murdoch papers and the other right-wing press (Mail, Express, Telegraph) would have a field day, lambasting these disgraceful teachers who punish innocent defenceless children for their own selfish ends, etc etc etc.  Public opinion would quickly turn against them, and the teachers' campaign would soon collapse

simonesaffron

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 05:42:52 AM »
It's a free country, so they say and Teachers the same as any other group of employees are entitled to be in dispute with their employers if they wish.

What I don't understand is the tepid tactics of the Teachers during these "disputes". Can there be a more powerful, political lobby these days than the Teachers? When the miners had that mantle in post - war Britain they just went on strike until their demands were met. They didn't have credit cards, partners with jobs, money in the bank. They worked to eat and were fortunate if they got a couple of quid out of the hardship fund but they stuck it out until they got what they thought was right - whether it was or not. In the end we didn't need their coal anymore, so they were beaten but Teachers don't have that problem.

What is the point of "striking" for one day in the middle of June ? For one day we can always get granny in or a neighbour or take a day off work to look after the kids.