Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: Widening of Dan Bank  (Read 75102 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Widening of Dan Bank
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
The work has not been undertaken for the safety of people.  The main piece of work has not even  started yet and that is to move the island down at the bottom of Dan Bank to allow heavy transport more ease of access.  If it was for safety of children walking to and from school why does it not come right up the bank to Hill Top and if we are worried about Offerton children, why are we not worried for the safety of all childred from Marple Hall.  I watch with horror as the children who go to Marple Hall  get of the bus opposite my house and try to cross Stockport Road.  I have requested a pedestrian crossing at the bus stop but have been informed that there is not enough money.  What I will although say is SMBC have played on child safety to get away with widening of the road for heavy goods vehicles and must all be patting themselves on the back that some people believed the hype.  My advice would be watch and learn the best is yet to come because the carnage will continue right down to the bottom of the bank  :-[

Neil Smith

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I have to say that by the time the 19th Feb comes along, there will be no trees left to save.

I drove down Dan Bank for the first time in ages yesterday, and was devastated by the wreckage down there.... It will never ever be the same.  It's a sin and a shame, and I wish I'd known about the meeting that has already happened.  I know that things have to change, you can't keep things identical for ever, but surely it could have been done more sympathetically...

As posted early in the thread Dan Bank has had the trees cut down before and it WILL recover but it may take a while. For the safety of people I would gladly cut down even more trees.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Osdog

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
"Correction i have got it wrong the meeting will be on 19/02/2011 10.15am at the library Cllr Bispham is inviting an arboriculturist to advise on trees in the area. From what I can gather its about local people having information on the tree programme in Marple and the Bridge.  Given what has happened on Dan Bank the Cllr feels that there should be greater consultation with local people on issues such as the removal of trees.  I feel due to the Carnage  which has just been allowed to take place on Dan Bank its a good opportunity for us all to ensure nothing like this ever happens again without consultation and negotiations with the people it concerns, so try and come along and hear if there is a chainsaw coming to your area soon  Undecided  LEST WE FORGET"

I have to say that by the time the 19th Feb comes along, there will be no trees left to save.

I drove down Dan Bank for the first time in ages yesterday, and was devastated by the wreckage down there.... It will never ever be the same.  It's a sin and a shame, and I wish I'd known about the meeting that has already happened.  I know that things have to change, you can't keep things identical for ever, but surely it could have been done more sympathetically...

Miss Marple

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2011, 05:52:16 PM »
The original wall and steps are to be cleaned and put back  ???  Well I hope so because from what I can see the original wall and steps are not stored  securely and are  in danger of going the same way as our grids if security is not put in place. 

sooty2

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
Yes we were told the man was from the planning department.Nobody is blaming the tree people,they dio what they are told to do.

marveld

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
admin said:
In view of the level of protests perhaps Bethell and Westfield are slightly reticent to make it clear who is really doing the work at Dan Bank. Perhaps they are happier for local firm Myers Tree Care to take all the flack for the work that they are undertaking on the council's behalf?

I put it down to naff reporting. On the night, it was clear to me that the "tree man" was not from Myers Tree Care.

Mr Marple

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »
Went down Dan Bank yesterday and the place is an utter mess.

I just hope they don't do anything that doesn't need doing.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
There is an article in the Stockport Express this week under the headline “Fury over tree felling” which states “Councillors and representatives from Myers Tree Care, the company that has been contracted by the council to fell the trees, attended the protest to answer residents’ questions.”

This report is incorrect. Representatives from Myers Tree Care were not in attendance at the protest as their contracted work was completed on 28 January before the road closure works began. The contractor engaged by the council to fell trees during the road closure works, which have been ongoing since 31 January, is Bethell (the road widening contractor) and their tree work subcontractor Westfield from Leyland. It was presumably representatives from one or both of these companies that attended the protest.

In view of the level of protests perhaps Bethell and Westfield are slightly reticent to make it clear who is really doing the work at Dan Bank. Perhaps they are happier for local firm Myers Tree Care to take all the flack for the work that they are undertaking on the council's behalf?

As explained on Myers Tree Care's web site, the work undertaking by them was the removal of trees too technically difficult to be undertaken during the night works and planting of new trees after the road widening works are completed. www.myerstreecare.co.uk/danbank.html

There is also a report from the council in response to the protests at:

http://www.u-to-us.com/danbank/DanBank_FebUpdate.pdf
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »
The destruction of the whole area started over 2 years ago as I mentioned in my first S'W' post.it is really gathering pace now. for what? a wider footpath and shared cycle track that will come to an abrupt end before, yes before Hill top Drive.It's about as much use a quarter mile long motorway.what a high price to pay, the beautiful trees and a ridiculous amount of money.What a great shame!

belleesummerbee

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 09:25:16 PM »
Was consent required to fell those trees?

Yes; the Council made an application to its self with one department making the submission and another approving it.

heather

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
agree totally with you its such a shame you allways know your home when you see the trees on Dan bank

alan@marple

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »

As I drove down Dan Bank this morning, for the first time in several weeks, I saw for the first time the shamefull carnage that has taken place, those beautiful trees gone forever, at least for most of our lifetimes, was there no alternative?

Was consent required to fell those trees?

I know it's to late now!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »
By coincidence the lastest batch of archive folders I've received from Marple Local History include one for the Dan Bank area, so I've uploaded the new ones from this to the Dan Bank & Dooley Lane album on the Virtual Tour and visitors can see Dan Bank and many of the changes that have occurred to its appearance since the very early 1900s. This link will show you the latest additions:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-40

Myers Tree Care's web site has also been updated to make clear the extent of their involvement in the treeworks on Dan Bank and there are some recent photos on there taken from when they started until completion of their work, which finished on 28 January before the nightworks began.

http://www.myerstreecare.co.uk/danbank.html     
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
For people who I am sure read this forum who are not local and may have never seen Dan Bank in it's former glory, could someone please put a before and after photo on so that people can understand just what has caused our anger.   :'(

Miss Marple

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »
Correction i have got it wrong the meeting will be on 19/02/2011 10.15am at the library Cllr Bispham is inviting an arboriculturist to advise on trees in the area. From what I can gather its about local people having information on the tree programme in Marple and the Bridge.  Given what has happened on Dan Bank the Cllr feels that there should be greater consultation with local people on issues such as the removal of trees.  I feel due to the Carnage  which has just been allowed to take place on Dan Bank its a good opportunity for us all to ensure nothing like this ever happens again without consultation and negotiations with the people it concerns, so try and come along and hear if there is a chainsaw coming to your area soon  :-\  LEST WE FORGET !!