Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Widening of Dan Bank  (Read 74876 times)

jimblob

Re: Widening of Dan Bank
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 12:34:36 PM »
I lived in Marple in my teens and moved back here 3 year ago, Dan Bank certainly is the gateway to Marple, albeit a slightly congested one. We take that choice when we chose to live here. I think what is frustrating is the Council's overriding zeal for what they like to call "Highway Improvements" which seem to end up as being anything but! 17 Windows, Dan Bank, Chester Road traffic calming in Hazel Grove and now Bramhall Green Roundabout, it's relentless. I don't for a minute suggest that safety for pedestrians and cyclists isn't important, God knows, I've had a few near misses cycling to work recently, but we seem to be letting the council spend every increasing amounts of our money for ever diminshing returns, the net result being areas like 17 Windows and Dan Bank becoming spoiled and lost. Dare to ask the Highways team why and they climb onto their "safety" soapbox and seem deaf to any suggestion that their schemes are anything other than wholly justifiable, regardless of the effects on the surrounding streets, the flow of traffic or the amount of our money that's being spent.

bluebelly

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 12:20:47 PM »
ive lived in marple/marple bridge for most of my life. as a child and adult as i arrive at the bottom of dan bank and assend through all the magnificent wood land i know im home. no matter where ive been or what time off year it is, the tunnel of trees is the driveway home. good on you , to all whom care.

Miss Concerned

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
As Miss Marple said it was a great turnout last night for the meeting with Alex Bremner and the 'Tree expert' who came with him despite the rain. It showed the depth of feeling there is, not just from the immediate vicinity but the whole of Marple. The first person to arrive had come down from Hawk Green and if there had been time to publicise the meeting, I am sure there would have been an even bigger crowd.

I think Alex got the message about brevity of information and we hope that he will pass this on to Stockports PR team who issue the regular newsletters. We will not be fobbed off with such cursory details again.
The tree expert gave us his assurances that some of the mature beech trees would stay and we asked him to ensure that Myers Tree Care are fully informed about where they should wield their chain saws; incidentally last night was blissfully quiet compared to the previous 2 nights; I think we frightened them off!
He also explained that he would ensure that more mature specimens would now be planted and will liase with the local residents on Dan Bank, who will overlook the top area of the slope about how they should be spaced and that a varying height canopy would be planted with ground cover of native grasses and bulbs giving back the woodland feel, unlike across the road where very spindly specimens have been planted with seemingly little thought.

It also seems that with or without a shared use for cyclists, the pavement has to be set back the same distance to comply with the usual 'safety regulations' for a retaining wall. We just cant get away from it can we.
I will post further info as I receive it from the council - or if!

Miss Marple

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 11:26:34 AM »
Crikey - if you are worried about those trees you better take a look at what the lib dems are enabling the tories to do

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests

Andy
Will you help me save this tree ?

andy+kirsty

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
Crikey - if you are worried about those trees you better take a look at what the lib dems are enabling the tories to do

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests

Andy

Miss Marple

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »
What a fantastic turn out at such short notice, the locals came out and showed their support at the mindless distruction of mature trees. Tonight we were able to stop the felling of some of the trees until residents are informed tomorrow of exactly which ones are to be taken down and why !  There is a 300 year old tree further up  the road which will be felled when phase 3 begins  It is not known when phase 3 will start because they have not as yet acquired the land from a private garden which would allow the the path / track to continue to the start of Hill Top Drive.  Some of you maybe intrested to know that there were several cyclists who voiced their opinion that they were opposed to a cycle track as it did not warrent the cost and devastation caused.  Residents have not been kept informed and are horrified at the overall appearance of the development and had not been  informed of the magnitude of the work  Residents had been informed that the path would be widened by 1 meter they have now been informed that they will need  2 1/2 meters which has caused anger amongst residents as they feel this had not been made clear  We were informed by the structural engineer that the acoustic fence alone cost £40.000.  Another worrying issue is that residents are reporting not seeing the badgers and foxes which were regular visitors through their gardens and on Dan Bank   It is also not known if the bats will return due to the distruction of their habitat. The only positive thing about tonight was  Cllr Andrews Bisphams contribution I found him sympathetic and honest  regarding his lack of knowledge as to the scale of the  project. 

Miss Marple

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 08:54:59 PM »

WRONG  Belly  !!!!!!   Cllr Wright says that less cars will be on the road  :-\ Because you and me wont be driving !!  and all the school children will be walking to school   OH !!  I wish I lived in his world  :o

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »
  Wake up and smell the coffee this is nothing to do with green issues, its the councils long thought out scheme  to increase the flow of traffic in and out of Marple. 

For what purpose ?

For the benefit of 99% of the population of Marple who drive their cars up and down Dan Bank? How dare they!  ???
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Tricky

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »
  Wake up and smell the coffee this is nothing to do with green issues, its the councils long thought out scheme  to increase the flow of traffic in and out of Marple. 

For what purpose ?
meh

Miss Marple

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »
Cllr Bispham will also be coming to the meeting tonight

Miss Marple

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
I hope all the people who supported this so call cycle track are hanging their head in shame !  I hope even more that they will be out in force tonight at the meeting instead of being armchair environmentalists who cycle down Dan Bank once in a blue moon.  Wake up and smell the coffee this is nothing to do with green issues, its the councils long thought out scheme  to increase the flow of traffic in and out of Marple.  Don't believe me ??  then ask yourself why they are also taking the bend out at the bottom of Dan Bank. Could it be that BIKES can not negotiate bends  :-\  don't think so do you !!

sooty2

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »
dont you think if the trees had not been on the opposite side of the road the road and banking may not have had to be done .trees do a lot of damage . if you have any large trees    on your property have a look round .look at your paths walls and down your manhole cover . tree roots go for water that's one of the reasons Dan bank had to be done .the trees werent managed in the first place . 
This felling is nothing to do with the road slippage, It's wanton destruction of nature for the sake of a concrete/tarmac widened path.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »
I was sent a copy of the leaflet by Miss Concerned with a request to post it, so here it is. Because I've had to reduce the quality to get it down to a reasonable file size I've also included a copy of the photo in this post at a better size.

www.marple-uk.com/misc/DBLeaflet.pdf

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »
dont you think if the trees had not been on the opposite side of the road the road and banking may not have had to be done .trees do a lot of damage . if you have any large trees    on your property have a look round .look at your paths walls and down your manhole cover . tree roots go for water that's one of the reasons Dan bank had to be done .the trees werent managed in the first place . 

minx

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 04:29:28 PM »
Just received a leaflet from local residents concerned about Dan Bank tree felling.  Meeting arranged for tonight (2Feb) with Alex Bremner and local Councillor Martin Candler who cannot understand the local residents anger .
Lengthy conversation with the above Councillor who informs me that all was made clear in the leaflets sent out with the Councils proposals. 
Informed him of my shock and disbelief at the felling of all the trees as I presumed that they would simply be thinned.  How naive can I be?
Will certainly be at the meeting (7pm tonight).  Does anyone else feel hood winked by the Council?

>:(