Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Widening of Dan Bank  (Read 74857 times)

sooty2

Re: Widening of Dan Bank
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »
I have spoken to councillor Craig Wright who said he will attend.

Miss Concerned

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »
Thanks for your support. The fences are apparently an 'acoustic barrier' and erected at great cost to the council; I dread to think how much, and are a complete waste of time. The noise from the works has been dreadful, particularly when the drilling for the road supports was being done; but I understood that these repairs
 had to be done. It is the environmental impact of the removal of the healthy mature trees  on both residents and wildlife that is being ignored inspite of the fact that they have employed ecologists etc at further great costs to establish the effect. These reports have obviously not been made available.

We do not want any further urbanisation. My husband cycled to work in Manchester for many years and says cycle ways are a complete waste of time. They create a false sense of security and then come to a sudden end as the route up stockport rd will do.

sooty2

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
I am with you on this subject Miss concerned. It is very sad. I first wrote about this in march 2009 in the topic seventeen windows when this awful tree felling started. I have mentioned it many times that the entrance to marple is ruined. It will affect you greatly as the beauty and privacy you have enjoyed will be gone. I would also imagine your property will be de-valued. widening the pavement is not ,in my opinion, necessary. It is impossible to replace the beauty stolen by man. :'( The whole cost of the total works in that area is an outrage. What are the fences for. screening?

Miss Concerned

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 12:36:55 PM »
As a resident on Dan Bank I have been horrified this week at the wholesale destruction of the trees on the embankment outside my house. The residents have only had a very brief letter from the council explaining that some trees growing through the existing retaining wall will need to be removed before the wall can be rebuilt and that it is to be rebuilt 1 metre back from its present position. I spoke to the tree surgeon who explained that not only these trees but some very mature and beautiful oak and Beech will also be removed to make it easier to build the wall and that cutting through roots may destabilise the trees.

What a tragedy for the sake of a wider footpath!  Surely the council could have a further look at the situation and with further consultation some of these mature trees could be preserved. If there are any interested parties out there, Alex Bremner, who is in charge of the works at Stockport Council, has agreed to meet with me at 7pm tonight ( Wednesday 2nd February at the site on the corner of Dan Bank ( Dan Bank cul de sac) to discuss which trees they are cutting down.

It is important to act now as it will be 100 years or so before our area regains its beautiful woodland feel.

Neil Smith

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
Wow there are some good photos there. Are there any plans anywhere and the www that we can see whats going to happen with all the widening etc, I have looked but can not find any?????

The only thing like a plan I've seen so far is just for the junction here: http://www.u-to-us.com/danbank/default.asp?pageid=4&groupid=4

More photos of the tree removal have been added to Myers Tree Care's web site this morning:

http://www.myerstreecare.co.uk/danbank.html

Thanks Mark, that's all I had found, I thought there must be better designs etc out there in the big  www

marveld

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Blessedly Silent wrote:
Drove down dan bank today and was horrified at the scale of the tree felling. It is a sad day for me as the realisation hit home that an area of outstanding natural beauty has gone forever

I don't see Dan Bank mentioned here: http://tinyurl.com/6em24r5

Please don't panic, it may take a little while, but Dan Bank's greenery is not lost "forever".

It's happened before: "Dan Bank, post WW1. The trees were all used for the war effort."

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
Wow there are some good photos there. Are there any plans anywhere and the www that we can see whats going to happen with all the widening etc, I have looked but can not find any?????

The only thing like a plan I've seen so far is just for the junction here: http://www.u-to-us.com/danbank/default.asp?pageid=4&groupid=4

More photos of the tree removal have been added to Myers Tree Care's web site this morning:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
Drove down dan bank today and was horrified at the scale of the tree felling. It is a sad day for me as the realisation hit home that an area of outstanding natural beauty has gone forever. The lovely Marple tree tunnel! a high price to pay for a shared foot/cycle path.  :o :'(

Neil Smith

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 11:39:14 AM »
There are now some great bird's eye views of the tree work being undertaken at Dan Bank on Myers Tree Care's web site:

Pleased to say that it was my idea to take the camera aloft.

Miss Marple

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »
Hey wow Trigger !!!  I believe anything you say !! 

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
There are now some great bird's eye views of the tree work being undertaken at Dan Bank on Myers Tree Care's web site:

Pleased to say that it was my idea to take the camera aloft.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 07:41:01 PM »
You can ride a horse or a bike on the road. Legally speaking, you cannot ride a bike on the pavement unless it is a shared use path, i.e. a cyclepath. I doubt such legislation would cover riding horses on a shared use path although there are  instances, e.g. the trans-pennine trail
Our posts seem to have overlapped, NBT. On the TPT horses are only permitted on bridleways and the parts of the TPT which use the highway. Cycles and pedestrians may use bridleways but cycles are supposed to give way to horses. Even if a bridleway follows the route of a road, (as it does in Charlesworth outside the farm where I keep my horses) horses are still not allowed on the pavement. They must use the actual roadway.

To be very honest I have broken the law occasionally when a previously quiet road has suddenly become a stock car track in a matter of seconds! Somehow a court appearance and a fine pale into insignificance when an idiot with a death wish is driving straight at me. Drivers are often unaware of the damage that can be done to their car if they run into half a ton of horse!

Yes, I know, I know, there are idiot horse-riders too. Sensible ones train for and take their Riding Road Safety test and wear hi-viz clothing.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
Yes, it's illegal to ride a bike  on the pavement (note pavement i.e. at the side of the road). ....however in this case, it will be a shared use path where legislation allows for the use by cyclists.

So  I  can ride my horse up and down, there must be a bylaw  ??? Horse came before bike etc :-\
No, (resigned voice), I have already explained to you that IT IS ILLEGAL TO RIDE A HORSE ON THE PAVEMENT. Motorised traffic on the actual road is supposed to give way to horses and horse-drawn vehicles. Horses may not be lead or ridden on the pavement (or on any footpath for that matter). It would be a different issue if the cycle/pedestrian way was to be designated a bridleway.

(And if you wish to dispute this, Miss Marple, I refer you to the official British Horse Society's Riding Road Safety manual)

nbt

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
So  I  can ride my horse up and down, there must be a bylaw  ??? Horse came before bike etc :-\

You can ride a horse or a bike on the road. Legally speaking, you cannot ride a bike on the pavement unless it is a shared use path, i.e. a cyclepath. I doubt such legislation would cover riding horses on a shared use path although there are  instances, e.g. the trans-pennine trail
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

Miss Marple

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »
Yes, it's illegal to ride a bike  on the pavement (note pavement i.e. at the side of the road). However most police officers will use common sense and as long as the cyclist is careful and is riding on the pavement to avoid the dangers of riding in the road, will let it pass. If the road is clear of motorised traffic, then  the cyclist should be on the road of course, and the cyclist should of course have due consideration for pedestrians

however in this case, it will be a shared use path where legislation allows for the use by cyclists.

If only every had a little consideration for others, we wouldn't need any of this, but people seem to be sadly more and more self-centred and insular these days, and vehemently opposed to anything that disrupts them and their preferred way of life :(