Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238395 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #539 on: March 28, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
The sign at the top of the steps saying eight till eleven has gone this morning .no more signs gone up since yesterday ,

The sign was removed and defaced by vandals last night and it is currently in the park. I told the contractors who were in the Asda car park this morning where it was and they said that they would report it.

I think it was probably done by the the same people who defaced our WWI display, which I will post about separately.

The Friends of the Park have objected to the sign in that location and would encourage anyone who likes the park entrance as it is to do so too. However, we do not condone its removal by others. We prefer to use the planning process to persuade Asda that it is intrusive and unnecessary and would like them to remove it themselves. Or as the situation is now, not to refit it.

They certainly should not have installed it before the planning application is approved because they are not replacing an existing Co-Op sign in this location.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #538 on: March 28, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »
Their planning application is not approved, it is still in the consolation period:

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=123476

They have probably taken a flyer on it because they are in a rush and didn't submit the plans early enough.
The sign at the top of the steps saying eight till eleven has gone this morning .no more signs gone up since yesterday ,

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #537 on: March 28, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »
Not sure I can agree with you there.

Are you saying that Asda, one of the most sophisticated retailers in the world. A retailer that has the highest technology available to analyse the shopping habits, needs and wants of the public should somehow be trumped by the whims of a council clerk who's only understanding of retail is on his numerous holidays, time off and days on strike?

I have to say, I'd put my money on the retail giant.

If you agreed with me I'd think something was wrong Duke. No, I'm not saying that the decision should be made by a council clerk on a whim at all. I'm saying that the council and local councillors are there to ensure that the local community and the people who live around the store are not ridden over rough-shod, otherwise your most sophisticated retailer in the world would do whatever it liked to maximise its profit without anyone else's needs being taken into consideration.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #536 on: March 28, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »
Opening hours are a separate issue but I would imagine that the council would and should have a say in those. Certainly Local Councillors should as they ought to represent the interests of local residents.

Not sure I can agree with you there.

Are you saying that Asda, one of the most sophisticated retailers in the world. A retailer that has the highest technology available to analyse the shopping habits, needs and wants of the public should somehow be trumped by the whims of a council clerk who's only understanding of retail is on his numerous holidays, time off and days on strike?

I have to say, I'd put my money on the retail giant.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #535 on: March 27, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
It's just planning permission because of the size of the signage. THe actual opening hours  must be down to the store to decide, I'd not want the council to have a say in that.

Of course the council can determine the extent of opening hours. Planning has to be mindful of knock on effects of the operation of development such as noise, lighting, traffic, etc at unsoicable hours. Which in the case of the Marple store with residential properties immediately adjacent / opposite is highly relevant. I would guess that these properties are a reason that we won't see 24hr operation at the Marple store.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #534 on: March 27, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
It's just planning permission because of the size of the signage. The actual opening hours  must be down to the store to decide, I'd not want the council to have a say in that.

Opening hours are a separate issue but I would imagine that the council would and should have a say in those. Certainly Local Councillors should as they ought to represent the interests of local residents. The planning application is to put new signs up and the simple fact is that they don't have permission to do that, whatever the opening hours are.

One might expect it to go through on the nod where they are replacing one brand with another but it is not as simple as that as they are putting new signs were there weren't any before.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #533 on: March 27, 2015, 04:14:47 PM »
Their planning application is not approved, it is still in the consolation period:

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=123476

They have probably taken a flyer on it because they are in a rush and didn't submit the plans early enough.

It's just planning permission because of the size of the signage. THe actual opening hours  must be down to the store to decide, I'd not want the council to have a say in that.

simonesaffron

« Reply #532 on: March 27, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »
Duke the Leader of the Council doesn't  get £40,000 never mind the staff and generally she does about 9am to 9pm. Where do you get these ideas from.  Its publicly available information check it.

No Wheels, the Leader of the Council doesn't get £40,000 but there's plenty of Officers that do. The money that gets taken out of the Council doesn't go to the elected members, their wage (for want of a better word) is comparatively unsubstantial. The officers on the other hand, that's a different story.

How much does the chief exec get paid and other senior managers? 

Duke Fame

« Reply #531 on: March 27, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
So you're saying the butchers bakers boots mand co And all the others should be open and empty till
11 pm ...

No, on the contrary, I'm saying that although the independent shops will almost always offer a far better product, the indy's cannot afford to provide the 'around the clock' opening hours of the supermarkets. So although working trends for the bright modern high flyer to work longer hours that keep us out of Marple during traditional shop hours, for us, it's a compromise to accept the lesser quality produce of the supermarkets for the convenience of their opening hours.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #530 on: March 27, 2015, 04:11:19 PM »
New signs going up at Asda today so they must have had permission ......

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #529 on: March 27, 2015, 04:07:42 PM »

I see he has started to open on a Monday now further evidence of his willingness to respond to customer demand while Archers keep to the same hours they had in the 60s

It's not really an argument of Claudio's V Archers, both produce some excellent product. It's simply that neither of these very good bakers can provide the 'around the clock' opening hours that the modern high flyer in Marple may require and for us, it's a compromise of sometimes have to accept the lesser quality produce of the supermarkets for the convenience of their opening hours.

amazon

« Reply #528 on: March 27, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
Where it said 24hrs there was also "store specific" text overlaid, which I'd take to mean this is a standard graphic they use in every planning app and not specific to Marple's hours.

Funny they submitted the app only to update it now the Asda logo comes with an awkward yellow Walmart emblem. I wonder if that sign apparently installed is the new version or will be replaced already...
New signs going up at Asda today so they must have had permission ......

amazon

« Reply #527 on: March 27, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »
Not really the point Amazon, people like me are demanding the service right through to 11pm. I'm saying that it's very difficult for Archers or anyone else to provide the quality at all hours.
So you're saying the butchers bakers boots mand co And all the others should be open and empty till
11 pm ...

wheels

« Reply #526 on: March 27, 2015, 12:49:28 PM »
I should hope not, I'm saying that Claudio will need a larger reward for his efforts than a mere town clerk so picked a figure of £40k on the basis that he is going to have to work ridiculous hours if he is to match the supermarket's convenience and supply the quality he currently achieves.

I see he has started to open on a Monday now further evidence of his willingness to respond to customer demand while Archers keep to the same hours they had in the 60s

Duke Fame

« Reply #525 on: March 27, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
Duke - this page on the Stockport Council website has some pay grade info, if you're interested.  It's a bit out of date, reflects 2012 salaries, so they only go up to £170,051. (plus expenses)
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/atozindex/payandgrades

I suppose they have made Stockport into a thriving business centre over the years so they are worth every penny!   :-X