Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238440 times)

sgk

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #524 on: March 27, 2015, 11:27:47 AM »
I should hope not, I'm saying that Claudio will need a larger reward for his efforts than a mere town clerk so picked a figure of £40k on the basis that he is going to have to work ridiculous hours if he is to match the supermarket's convenience and supply the quality he currently achieves.

Duke - this page on the Stockport Council website has some pay grade info, if you're interested.  It's a bit out of date, reflects 2012 salaries, so they only go up to £170,051. (plus expenses)
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/atozindex/payandgrades

Duke Fame

« Reply #523 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:34 AM »
Duke the Leader of the Council doesn't  get £40,000 never mind the staff and generally she does about 9am to 9pm. Where do you get these ideas from.  Its publicly available information check it.
I should hope not, I'm saying that Claudio will need a larger reward for his efforts than a mere town clerk so picked a figure of £40k on the basis that he is going to have to work ridiculous hours if he is to match the supermarket's convenience and supply the quality he currently achieves.

wheels

« Reply #522 on: March 26, 2015, 11:48:34 PM »
It's not really the point Wheels, Claudio may well do it all alone but it will limit him and you are still demanding he is available from 8am-11pm and he must prepare from 6a.m. For a lot less effort and the same pay, he can work for the local authority so say he will need more compensation than a local authority council clerk so let's say £40,000 p.a. so given a working year of 47 weeks he needs to pay fixed costs so needs to take around £650 a day - average price of bread say £1.50 that's 430 punters a day all served by one guy.

Duke the Leader of the Council doesn't  get £40,000 never mind the staff and generally she does about 9am to 9pm. Where do you get these ideas from.  Its publicly available information check it.

Duke Fame

« Reply #521 on: March 26, 2015, 06:45:11 PM »
They don't open till 9.30 and are closed Monday's .

Not really the point Amazon, people like me are demanding the service right through to 11pm. I'm saying that it's very difficult for Archers or anyone else to provide the quality at all hours.

Duke Fame

« Reply #520 on: March 26, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
Claudio seems to manage to do all that on his own and produce a better product and customer service.

It's not really the point Wheels, Claudio may well do it all alone but it will limit him and you are still demanding he is available from 8am-11pm and he must prepare from 6a.m. For a lot less effort and the same pay, he can work for the local authority so say he will need more compensation than a local authority council clerk so let's say £40,000 p.a. so given a working year of 47 weeks he needs to pay fixed costs so needs to take around £650 a day - average price of bread say £1.50 that's 430 punters a day all served by one guy.

Razzle24

« Reply #519 on: March 26, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
and sold out by 12pm!!!!!!

amazon

« Reply #518 on: March 26, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »
Take a bakery like Archers, they have to open early as bakers are expected to knock out the morning goods for breakfast and in the morning (hence the name).  Extend their hours to close at 10pm, the bakers will be starting at 6a.m. with 2 bakers and at least 2 counter staff with the bakers knocking off at 8 pm they they'll be needing to pay for 60 hours work in a day then at min wage incl NI (before Michael Taylor's lot put NI up even higher) it will cost £470 a day just to staff it and assuming a 'normal' margin and forgetting waste, heating & other overheads, they will need to take £1,155 a day to pay the wages alone so around for a bakery, perhaps 1,000 loaves every day. It simply is too expensive to run those hours as I just can't see Marple being able to sustain a competitive retail offering over the hours you expect UNLESS the govt relaxes it's NMW and employment taxation.
They don't open till 9.30 and are closed Monday's .

wheels

« Reply #517 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04:36 AM »
Take a bakery like Archers, they have to open early as bakers are expected to knock out the morning goods for breakfast and in the morning (hence the name).  Extend their hours to close at 10pm, the bakers will be starting at 6a.m. with 2 bakers and at least 2 counter staff with the bakers knocking off at 8 pm they they'll be needing to pay for 60 hours work in a day then at min wage incl NI (before Michael Taylor's lot put NI up even higher) it will cost £470 a day just to staff it and assuming a 'normal' margin and forgetting waste, heating & other overheads, they will need to take £1,155 a day to pay the wages alone so around for a bakery, perhaps 1,000 loaves every day. It simply is too expensive to run those hours as I just can't see Marple being able to sustain a competitive retail offering over the hours you expect UNLESS the govt relaxes it's NMW and employment taxation.

Claudio seems to manage to do all that on his own and produce a better product and customer service.

marpleexile

« Reply #516 on: March 26, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
I gave the example of Archers for that reason, as a good quality bakery the punter expects to buy a fresh loaf, croissant etc first thing in the morning.

Ahh, we're at cross purposes then. My contention is that over time, the retirees that currently make up the bulk of their morning/daytime trade, will literally start to die out over the next 10 or so years, being replaced by either younger families, or new retirees, who's lifestyle and habits will probably be substantially different

I don't have a great knowledge of bakery retailing but my observation is that they tend to be pretty busy in the morning and less so later on. Now for the likes of me, I will not have time (or the inclination)  to go shopping at 7a.m. but it simply is not financially viable for them to be open the hours to suit me.

It's a bit of chicken and egg there with Archers though. Everyone knows that they sell out by about 2.30/3pm, so everyone knows that if you want bread from Archers, you have to get in early - thus a self-fore-filling situation.

Duke Fame

« Reply #515 on: March 26, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
You did actually read my post didn't you?

I wasn't suggesting that the local retailers would extended their hours, I was suggesting that over time they would move their hours from the 8/9 to 5/6 they currently operate to something more like 10-8 or 12-10. So no, I'm not suggesting that the bakers would still come in a 6am if they're opening until 10pm. If the closing time moved back 4 or 5 hrs, then I would have thought that the staff would start work 4 or 5 hrs later as well.

I gave the example of Archers for that reason, as a good quality bakery the punter expects to buy a fresh loaf, croissant etc first thing in the morning. I don't have a great knowledge of bakery retailing but my observation is that they tend to be pretty busy in the morning and less so later on. Now for the likes of me, I will not have time (or the inclination)  to go shopping at 7a.m. but it simply is not financially viable for them to be open the hours to suit me.

So, as a punter, I'd have to accept that the price I pay for convenience will be an acceptable but sub-standard product from the supermarkets.

marpleexile

« Reply #514 on: March 26, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »

You did actually read my post didn't you?

I wasn't suggesting that the local retailers would extended their hours, I was suggesting that over time they would move their hours from the 8/9 to 5/6 they currently operate to something more like 10-8 or 12-10. So no, I'm not suggesting that the bakers would still come in a 6am if they're opening until 10pm. If the closing time moved back 4 or 5 hrs, then I would have thought that the staff would start work 4 or 5 hrs later as well.

rsh

« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2015, 12:35:13 AM »
The main sign has changed but the others still say 24hrs Mon - Sat

Where it said 24hrs there was also "store specific" text overlaid, which I'd take to mean this is a standard graphic they use in every planning app and not specific to Marple's hours.

Funny they submitted the app only to update it now the Asda logo comes with an awkward yellow Walmart emblem. I wonder if that sign apparently installed is the new version or will be replaced already...

Duke Fame

« Reply #512 on: March 25, 2015, 11:37:22 PM »
I suspect that over time (ie 10-15 years) "normal" shopping hours will gradually become something like 10am-8pm, or even 12pm-10pm, as our retailers catch up with how the rest of society operates.

We coped because generally only one parent worked full time, the other parent either didn't work, or worked part time. Until not that long ago (relatively speaking) it was quite rare for both parents to be working full time. And single parent families (which were also rarer "back then") often lived with extended family, of which not all the adults would be working full time.

Society has changed massively - for better or worse, take your pick, but it has changed - and some people (and businesses) are still struggling to realise this.

Marple retailers have had it easier than many, because the aging population has shielded them from this change to a degree, but as they start moving on, and get replaced by younger families, they'll have to adapt or die.

Duke Fame

« Reply #511 on: March 25, 2015, 11:12:03 PM »
There seems to be a later version of the signage application at
http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/edrms/onlinemvm/getimage.asp?DocumentNumber=235176

This one is suggesting 7am - 11pm on Monday to Saturday and 10-4 on Sundays (which seems to be more in line with other ASDA stores locally).

The only thing which is 24-hour is the cash machine.

The main sign has changed but the others still say 24hrs Mon - Sat

hollins

« Reply #510 on: March 25, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »
There seems to be a later version of the signage application at
http://interactive.stockport.gov.uk/edrms/onlinemvm/getimage.asp?DocumentNumber=235176

This one is suggesting 7am - 11pm on Monday to Saturday and 10-4 on Sundays (which seems to be more in line with other ASDA stores locally).

The only thing which is 24-hour is the cash machine.