Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 237442 times)

nipper14

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #629 on: May 27, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »
Bought some plants at Asda yesterday. A lady at the self service tills could not have been more helpful. She was cheerful and chatted to me while she put the plants through the till for me, making me feel a bit lazy as I could have done it myself. She packed the plants in bags, before bidding me a friendly farewell. I doubt I would ever have received that kind of service at the Co-op. Well done Asda!

JMC

« Reply #628 on: May 27, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »
just shows how overpriced the coop was .

I agree with this. As  family we are saving £20 a week using the new Asda (previously Tesco and Sainsburys). However I tend to do Click and Collect.

Condate

« Reply #627 on: May 25, 2015, 08:19:02 PM »

I never found it so, but I suppose it depends on what you are buying. I am sticking to using the Co-op at the garage, or that in New Mills when I need something I can't get at the local shops, or I need something when the shops are shut.

amazon

« Reply #626 on: May 25, 2015, 07:52:07 PM »
That's certainly how it was this afternoon. I popped in for some eggs and a few other things. It was busy. I wandered round and eventually found what I needed, including six large free range eggs for a very reasonable £1.25, and then made my way to the tills. The self service tills were all closed, and only two of the staffed tills were open, and of course they had HUGE queues.

So I cleared off and went to the Texaco Co-op, where I bought 6 large free range eggs - for £2.05 :-(.

And the moral of this tale is - you get what you pay for!

Dave

« Reply #625 on: May 25, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
The checkout is just as much fun as ever, so long as you have plenty of time to spare.

That's certainly how it was this afternoon. I popped in for some eggs and a few other things. It was busy. I wandered round and eventually found what I needed, including six large free range eggs for a very reasonable £1.25, and then made my way to the tills. The self service tills were all closed, and only two of the staffed tills were open, and of course they had HUGE queues.

So I cleared off and went to the Texaco Co-op, where I bought 6 large free range eggs - for £2.05 :-(.

And the moral of this tale is - you get what you pay for!

Russ

« Reply #624 on: May 17, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »
The checkout is just as much fun as ever, so long as you have plenty of time to spare.

amazon

« Reply #623 on: May 16, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »
Isn't it run by some of the same people? If so the same problems may just be repeated.
Let's get this right it's not run by same people them same people work for Asda there are three managers there now one that used to work for coop the rest are from asda
Some of the staff are the same Asda took there contracts over allso some new staff
..if you don't like it there are still coops not very far away .with empty shelves and expensive prices .you don't have to shop there .

Harry

« Reply #622 on: May 16, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
It was like the Co-op last night, no loose carrots, only a few cartons of milk left, not many birthday cakes, no jam donuts. Lots of empty spaces on the shelves 😟

I have thought the same. If you keep the same management then you keep the same problems.

Howard

« Reply #621 on: May 16, 2015, 12:01:28 PM »
So maybe the problems of poor supply weren't actually the Co-op's fault anyway. Maybe it's just the lack of warehousing at the store that causes problems.

JMC

« Reply #620 on: May 16, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
It was like the Co-op last night, no loose carrots, only a few cartons of milk left, not many birthday cakes, no jam donuts. Lots of empty spaces on the shelves 😟

Isn't it run by some of the same people? If so the same problems may just be repeated.

Dave

« Reply #619 on: May 16, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »
I thought I'd give Asda a try, and not rush to judgement on it until it's had time to settle in.  But I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.  Yes the prices are noticeably lower than the Co-op prices were, so that's a big plus.  And there are some nice bottled beers at sensible prices.   :P

But the poor bread selection, the limited stock of fish, and above all, the lack of a deli counter, are real minuses.  Without a deli counter the only sort of ham and other cooked meat you can get is that slimy stuff in thin slices that comes in plastic packaging and tastes of nothing!

But it seems to be quite popular - it often feels crowded, although that may be because they have tried to squeeze in more shelving, so the aisles are narrower.  I still prefer Morrisons. 

amazon

« Reply #618 on: May 15, 2015, 08:26:12 PM »
I couldn't agree more Razzle. The choice of fresh fruit and veg was really poor. Very disappointing.
THEY cant keep up with the demand .its busier than they expected /its well stocked in a morning .

Miss C

« Reply #617 on: May 15, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »
I couldn't agree more Razzle. The choice of fresh fruit and veg was really poor. Very disappointing.

Razzle24

« Reply #616 on: May 15, 2015, 02:49:48 PM »

Howard

« Reply #615 on: May 15, 2015, 02:10:12 PM »
I think the proof of the pudding is in the usage of the store. Asda is very busiy compared to the old Co-op, with this in mind, I'd suggest more people find it a better compromise of quality and price than the co-op. Obviously, the independent shops do things better but as a supermarket, Asda seems to tick the boxes better than the Co-op.

Personally I'm disappointed in their selection of decaff coffee. One brand? If I have to drink decaff (and I do...) I'd like them to stock Lavazza which the Co-op used to.