RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238501 times)

amazon

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #374 on: February 04, 2015, 04:28:02 PM »
When I had Saturday's free, I did my shop in Marple, the quality of food far exceeds supermarkets, it was a nice little loop, fish man, greengrocer, butcher, archers , super drug and the household stuff fromthe discount guy. It was far quicker than going to the Copland I spent less as I didn't buy the rubbish extras.
Try it, you may not bother with Asda when it opens

Bet you use Asda when it comes though .

Middle wood

« Reply #373 on: February 04, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »
I wonder just how much thought the Asda shop planners put into what the local area needs. Did they visit Marple even? It would have been nice if there could have been some consultation.

Marple has its fair share of bakeries and cafés. I most definitely will not be using Asda for either as these are far superior to the awful Asda cafés and cheap bakery items that I've had from Asda before. A fish counter is a good idea although Morrisons are hard to beat on that front. A decent deli too. What I want most from the Marple supermarket is a good range of the basics at reasonable prices and not small sections of bakeries, cafés, George clothing, pizza counters.

Pretty sure, though, that Asda will just try to undercut the local shops. I know that they are in business to make money but they were trying to promote the Hibbert Lane store as a community supermarket before. I've not heard a single statement from them on this store.

wheels

« Reply #372 on: February 04, 2015, 12:11:43 PM »
Why would anyone go to shops when they have a keyboard.

Harry

« Reply #371 on: February 04, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
When I had Saturday's free, I did my shop in Marple, the quality of food far exceeds supermarkets, it was a nice little loop, fish man, greengrocer, butcher, archers , super drug and the household stuff fromthe discount guy. It was far quicker than going to the Copland I spent less as I didn't buy the rubbish extras.

And it has the added advantage that you can spend up to twice as much per item by shopping with with local traders.

Duke Fame

« Reply #370 on: February 04, 2015, 08:11:03 AM »
theres a picture on virtual tour of the coop at lower fold in its hayday .problem now no alternative stores in marple for two months .stores not shops .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #369 on: February 04, 2015, 06:41:55 AM »
theres a picture on virtual tour of the coop at lower fold in its hayday .problem now no alternative stores in marple for two months .stores not shops .

Maybe it's a great opportunity to try out Marple's independent shops for a lot of the stuff you would normally get from the Co-Op. A lot of people aren't doing a "big shop" anymore apparently. They are shopping more often and just getting what they need. Just an idea.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sgk

« Reply #368 on: February 03, 2015, 09:59:53 PM »

Here are a couple from the virtual tour.

amazon

« Reply #367 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:23 PM »
Ah, but the Co-op at the filling station only has limited stock. Oh well, as I am in Glossop 3 or 4 days a week, I'll be using the Co-op there for things I can't get in independent shops in Marple. Which may get me into Aldi as well. So ya-boo-sucks to Asda.

Sad really, the Co-op has had stores in Marple since at least 1898 - end of an era. In their day the Co-operative Societies were a boon to working class people. Often, the dividend was the only money the housewife could save against a rainy day or for a celebration. I can remember, as a little girl in the 1950s, going with my Aunt to collect her "divi" money in time for preparing for Christmas. My parents and grandparents didn't use the Co-op because they owned businesses in Marple themselves and insisted that we should give our trade to people who gave us theirs. That sort of loyalty doesn't seem to exist anymore but I do try to follow my Father's principles and use local independents wherever possible.

amazon

« Reply #366 on: February 03, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
(From a checkout assistant) - Coop closes 14 February, ASDA opens 13 April.

Given the masses of empty shelves in the Coop this evening their stock will have gone long before 14Th February. I'm just wondering which day they will start cutting the price on their wines ...

allready are on some wines .

marpleexile

« Reply #365 on: February 02, 2015, 10:17:42 PM »

Given the masses of empty shelves in the Co-op this evening

That's just business as usual for the Marple Co-Op isn't it? Hence why the store is being sold.

hollins

« Reply #364 on: February 02, 2015, 10:09:57 PM »
(From a checkout assistant) - Co-op closes 14 February, ASDA opens 13 April.

Given the masses of empty shelves in the Co-op this evening their stock will have gone long before 14th February. I'm just wondering which day they will start cutting the price on their wines ...

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #363 on: February 02, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »
There are other small coops not far away .Bredbury .  A6 . Down the road Marple Garage .ita not as though they are going out of business .
Ah, but the Co-op at the filling station only has limited stock. Oh well, as I am in Glossop 3 or 4 days a week, I'll be using the Co-op there for things I can't get in independent shops in Marple. Which may get me into Aldi as well. So ya-boo-sucks to Asda.

Sad really, the Co-op has had stores in Marple since at least 1898 - end of an era. In their day the Co-operative Societies were a boon to working class people. Often, the dividend was the only money the housewife could save against a rainy day or for a celebration. I can remember, as a little girl in the 1950s, going with my Aunt to collect her "divi" money in time for preparing for Christmas. My parents and grandparents didn't use the Co-op because they owned businesses in Marple themselves and insisted that we should give our trade to people who gave us theirs. That sort of loyalty doesn't seem to exist anymore but I do try to follow my Father's principles and use local independents wherever possible.

amazon

« Reply #362 on: February 02, 2015, 11:29:41 AM »
Thanks Howard .
. Closed for eight weeks new cafe wet fish new bakery ..a dominos type place ..

Should be interesting .

Duke Fame

« Reply #361 on: February 01, 2015, 04:52:26 PM »
Does the car park actually belong to the Co-op?  I seem to remember there being some doubt about this before, when it was disputed that they could charge for parking.

Shared with the council, the council insists on paying for parking but I think the coop have not enforced it. It may be something for the council to appreciate that car park charges are not good for business & perhaps worth considering when they rejuvenate the shopping precinct in Stockport

amazon

« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2015, 04:50:24 PM »
Does the car park actually belong to the Co-op?  I seem to remember there being some doubt about this before, when it was disputed that they could charge for parking.
Acording to civic society .minutes on this website some of it belongs to stockport MBC .the rest the coop