All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: More Burglaries & break-ins in Marple  (Read 42591 times)

amazon

Re: More Burglaries & break-ins in Marple
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
Yes, let the neighbours know you're going on your hols, but seems we cant pop to the shops without getting burgled. It's like they're sat outside in broad daylight watching for people leaving their homes.

The previous house burglary on this road 2/3 months ago was same MO as the one above, round the back and a brick through the back door glass to gain entry. that was around 2.30pm when the occupiers had gone shopping for an hour or so.

There must be a double shift of "scrotes", the sheds & garages seem to be done by the night shift at 3am - 5am.

At this rate we will soon become uninsurable!

A house near me was having a new alarm fitted at w/e, I spoke with the fitter who told me he had also been fitting a lot of new alarms in the Rose Hill area following break-ins. His advice was to have an alarm that is loud inside the house as well as outside.

Stay alert, the scrotes keep getting bail.

There are four recently released from prison live in the area . Two are brothers ........

Russ

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 08:32:15 AM »
Yes, let the neighbours know you're going on your hols, but seems we cant pop to the shops without getting burgled. It's like they're sat outside in broad daylight watching for people leaving their homes.

The previous house burglary on this road 2/3 months ago was same MO as the one above, round the back and a brick through the back door glass to gain entry. that was around 2.30pm when the occupiers had gone shopping for an hour or so.

There must be a double shift of "scrotes", the sheds & garages seem to be done by the night shift at 3am - 5am.

At this rate we will soon become uninsurable!

A house near me was having a new alarm fitted at w/e, I spoke with the fitter who told me he had also been fitting a lot of new alarms in the Rose Hill area following break-ins. His advice was to have an alarm that is loud inside the house as well as outside.

Stay alert, the scrotes keep getting bail.

Prucilla

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »
It was my house,2nd time in 18 months (not a chimney pot last time) but you are right about the stone through back door. Same MO as last time. Happened between 11 and 12 in morning......
Maybe a CCTV camera on Ridge Rd would help, I don't think there is a solution just be on you guard and let neighbours know if you are going away etc.,

Russ

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »
Police are currently at a house on Ridge road that got robbed again at 11.30am today.

This house at the bottom end of the road was robbed back end of last year, same pattern, round the back and a rock through the patio glass doors. I heard it was a chimney pot they used last time.

Likely to be the same "Scrotes" that did them last time, police say they usually come back after you've replaced everything.

There's no deterrent, the police catch the scrotes and the courts let them loose again.

Keep your guard up folks.

Russ

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 10:07:57 PM »
Marple has 30% - 40% more burglaries than the North west or the UK as a whole, average calculated per 1,000 people, see links, again!

http://www.findahood.com/locations/marplesouth/6276527

http://www.findahood.com/locations/marplenorth/6276518

Petty crime in Marple is lower than the average. Probably because the "scrotes" are all too busy with the easy pickings of burgling our homes to be bothered with the petty stuff.

Anybody who has been burgled will hopefully be on board with pursuing Councillors, MP's & Police to get some action in our village before it turns any worse, if that is possible. I was hoping the people who have yet to be burgled might come on board also.

I see no justification in making excuses for the current situation.

The more we highlight the problem the more people we will make aware it's time to up their security.

hollins

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
We were a victim of burglary last year. A number of points stood out with the police handling of it.
- Their stated target response time was 4 hours (which they only just met). Given that my children's return to the house almost certainly disturbed the burglars and that our back door was in pieces letting in a heavy rain storm I think that was inadequate.
- They (that is, a Sergeant in Hazel Grove) closed the case automatically after 24 hours(!) on the basis of "no further evidence". Their only detective work - that of the local PCSO going round knocking on the doors of whichever neighbours happened to be in - wasn't exactly major effort.
- I gave them some lines of inquiry (an item, of the precise same and unusual type as one stolen, appearing for a very short period on eBay immediately after the burglary) and they never bothered to follow it up.

Sure, nobody was physically injured, but it was certainly costly, time-consuming to sort out, left us worrying about leaving the house for any length of time, and devastating in that we lost some items of irreplaceable sentimental value.

There are too many house burglaries in Marple, probably done by a small number of gangs and repeat offenders, and the current Greater Manchester Police effort in detection is inadequate.

If anyone has information about burglaries or general crime in Marple, or about subsequent trials and convictions, please keep posting them on this website.

Dave

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
Fortunately for the good people of Poynton they come under Cheshire constabulary, although now based in Macclesfield, provide much better resources than the minimal & hard pressed resources that GMP provide to Marple, Marple Bridge & High lane population of approx 35,000 residents.   See link to the current Poynton Policing team to cover a population of 10,000 residents:

Don't wish to dispute Russ's good points about burglary in Marple, but the actual populations of Marple and Poynton are not as far apart as he suggests: Marple c 23,500, including High Lane, Marple Bridge, Mellor, Strines etc.  Poynton c 14,500. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marple,_Greater_Manchester
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poynton

I suspect the underlying reason for GMP's inability to provide us with the level of policing that Cheshire Constabulary provide Poynton may have something to do with the overall levels of crime in the two police areas.  If you compare the figures on these two sites:

http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Police_Force/Greater_Manchester_Police
http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Police_Force/Cheshire_Constabulary

.... you can see that in March this year, for example, whilst 7,357 crimes were reported in Cheshire, 26,288 were reported in Greater Manchester.  And however bad burglaries are round here, it's safe to assume that there are other parts of the city where crime is a great deal higher, and where the Police therefore have to concentrate their diminishing resources. efforts.   I'm not trying to justify the low level of policing round here, I'm just attempting to work out an explanation.

Russ

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
The police station in Poynton is now closed, and the staff who manned it have been moved to Macclesfield. The building is up for sale with a big sign on the site...

I guess crime will no be going up in Poynton now there is little or no police presence :o :o

Fortunately for the good people of Poynton they come under Cheshire constabulary, although now based in Macclesfield, provide much better resources than the minimal & hard pressed resources that GMP provide to Marple, Marple Bridge & High lane population of approx 35,000 residents.

See link to the current Poynton Policing team to cover a population of 10,000 residents:

http://www.cheshire.police.uk/my-neighbourhood/macclesfield/poynton/your-team.aspx

Our only advice from Superintendent John Berry is to set up homewatch (DIY) to try and protect ourselves. Like I said, some media publicity to highlight the scale of the problem in Marple might help.

We are told the problem is worse in Marple because it is an affluent area? but so easy to check other areas eg Bollington, Poynton, Hayfield, etc with negligible burglary to disprove this theory. We really must have more resource.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 06:54:52 PM »
Sheer madness!

They are known to up their game when on bail.
Well probably but all they have to do is ask for xx other offences of the same nature to be taken into consideration.

Cyberman

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
Not exactly Marple-related, but I thought I'd share this with you.

A work colleague living in Goostrey had a petrol lawnmower nicked from his garden shed a few days ago. An equally expensive barbecue was moved out of the way and left. The shed had an easily-broken lock. Also, nearby houses / sheds were raided and relieved of a garden cultivator, a trailer and a newly-planted birch hedge (!).

I have heard tales of dodgy garden maintenance companies nicking tools at the start of the season - which is now - to facilitate their activities. So it's not just bikes which are desirable. Definitely time to check the security of sheds/outbuildings.

Russ

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
Looking at the Burglary figures for Marple, it looks like the "Scrotes" are now busy in the North Marple area & Marple Bridge. Take care they are still about & burgled 11 of our homes in April. That's 11 families homes ransacked & lives devastated.

http://crimeandjustice.co.uk/crime-map#Marple

The local papers don't seem to cover the crime in our village anything like the Derbyshire Times coverage for the Peak District:

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/crime

It would be useful if we have a local correspondent for the Stockport times & MEN to shake things up & hopefully get more Police presence. Every little helps, if anybody is in contact with the media.

Russ

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »
Not good closing Poynton Police station is it? There was several Police cars there last time I passed a few weeks ago. Macclesfield Police do seem to be fairly active in the suburbs though, burglary in Bollington is averaging only 1 per month.

I was in Engineering for 45 years and saw the difference between preventative maintenance & fire brigade maintenance. problem is, hierarchy can't see the benefits of preventative work. They only see something that's broken crawling with people trying to get it fixed.

GMP have resorted to fire brigade Policing, maybe because they are rewarded by results? Preventative Policing doesn't show results in the same way does it.

Hopefully in my lifetime we will get back to preventative Police work. This could work out far cheaper by discouraging crime thereby freeing up the courts and prisons.

Meanwhile let us all keep an eye out for each other and especially for our elderly neighbours.

simpleton

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:45 AM »
The police station in Poynton is now closed, and the staff who manned it have been moved to Macclesfield. The building is up for sale with a big sign on the site...

I guess crime will no be going up in Poynton now there is little or no police presence :o :o

Russ

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 09:01:05 PM »
To get back to one of my original points, the people of Marple alone are paying in the region of £2m for Police protection & we rarely if ever see any Police presence. The criminals must also have noted this lack of visible Policing.

Now look at Poynton with a population of 10,000 that has a fully manned Police station with 3 or 4 Police cars sat outside. This in itself must tell the criminals that there is a greater chance of getting caught. Poynton has minimal burglary and robbery compared to Marple.

When I asked our Mr Stunnell why Poynton had this luxury while Marple had next to zilch, he said "Well Poynton is Cheshire & Marple is Gtr Manchester". Not a very satisfactory answer eh?

It would be nice to feel relatively safe again. Even nicer to feel as safe as our neighbours in Poynton.

Russ

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
And as ringi points out  it's not just about the closure of local police stations, it's also about the reductions in the number of police officers.  There are apparently 10,000 fewer police officers now compared with 2010!   :o

Couldn't agree more. We could hardly justify having a Police station in the village when we only have 2 PCSO's.
I still fail to understand why the various Police forces are failing to record the current levels of crime. Wouldn't you think they'd want to highlight the vast increase as a result of the reduction in manning?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/01/uk-police-failing-record-20-percent-crime-report