Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: More Burglaries & break-ins in Marple  (Read 42596 times)

Russ

Re: More Burglaries & break-ins in Marple
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »
We needs a stable team of police officers and community support officers that spends most of their time working in Marple, as well as undercover officers that track suspected criminals and newly released  criminals.

Spot on there Ringi

Dave

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 05:51:10 PM »
This thread is titled Burglaries & break-ins, not all crime. Let us not try to confuse the issue.
Point taken. 

Regarding contacting Andrew Stunnell MP, read the thread, I have had 2 meetings with Stunnell, he wrote to the Chief constable who sent Superintendent Berry to meet with some of the victims on my road including me.
I'm well aware from Russ's original post that he has met our MP, and I never suggested otherwise.   However, the fact remains that the ultimate responsibility for the reductions in policing lies with the politicians.  And as ringi points out  it's not just about the closure of local police stations, it's also about the reductions in the number of police officers.  There are apparently 10,000 fewer police officers now compared with 2010!   :o

ringi

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
I don’t think that closure of local police stations has anything to do with it.   

We needs a stable team of police officers and community support officers that spends most of their time working in Marple, as well as undercover officers that track suspected criminals and newly released  criminals.

It is not important where in Stockport the officers have their desks, as they should hardly ever be at their desks.   Local police stations are most useful when you need to take a document into the police, but they cost a lot to keep staffed.

Russ

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »
This thread is titled Burglaries & break-ins, not all crime. Let us not try to confuse the issue.

Marple is fairly low on recorded crime but one of, if not the highest in the North West for Burglary.

I have posted this link already, look at the burglary figures, 40% higher than than the NW average & 55% higher than the average for England & Wales.

http://www.findahood.com/locations/marplesouth/6276527

I don't understand why anybody would want to play it down. We must all be on alert and ensure others who are not aware of the situation are on guard also. I wouldn't want any more people having their homes ransacked or worse in some cases that have been reported.

Regarding closure of Police stations in the GMP area, Superintendent Berry told us that this decision was made by the Chief constable of GMP. You may notice that smaller communiteis eg Poynton & Chapel-en-le-frith are outside of GMP boundaries, their Police stations remain open.

Regarding contacting Andrew Stunnell MP, read the thread, I have had 2 meetings with Stunnell, he wrote to the Chief constable who sent Superintendent Berry to meet with some of the victims on my road including me.

Please read the thread.

Dave

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
Crime & burglary in particular is far worse in Marple than it is Brinnington
Not true.   According to this map: http://www.police.uk/greater-manchester/J1/crime/   ...recorded crime in Brinnington last March totalled 84 (you have to click on the Brinnington area to get accurate figures).  That compares with 68 in Marple.

But I agree entirely with Russ on this:
When I spoke with the Police I was told the high rate of robbery & burglary in Marple is because it is an affluent area .........  The excuse doesn't hold water.
Indeed.  It's nonsense.  All the maps show one thing - the rate of recorded crime in less affluent areas is much higher than in the more affluent areas. 

This decision to close the small local Police stations has proven to be a very bad decision yet Superintendent John Berry said our Police stations will not come back, it is a decision made by the Chief constable that will not be reversed.
Agreed again.  But let's not blame the chief constable.  The reason for the widespread closure of local police stations is very simple - money.  The Home Office has been cutting police budgets year on year ever since the present government came to power four years ago.  If we want to complain to anyone, it should be Sir Andrew Stunnell! 

Russ

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
To look at a more localised area on that Police website, enter the full postcode for a central point eg Natwest bank in Marple, then in the crime dropdown go to whatever you would like to look at eg Burglary, go the icons on top right & click on the middle round one and that gives a 1 mile radius of that postcode, eg: SK6 7AE

This shows 8 of our homes were burgled in March. From findings on the burglaries in my area, it will be at least double what is recorded.

http://www.police.uk/greater-manchester/J2/crime/burglary/+Ou7INM/

Russ

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 10:23:03 AM »
Is it just coincidental to this thread that in the last week I've seen our two community support officers twice in a week having not seen them in at least a year? Once on Station road, once on Longhurst Lane. Or are these seen as high risk areas at present?

Exactly, I've seen a PCSO twice on my road in the last week or so. Never seen one for years before.

If highlighting the problem helps get some Police presence then it's worth doing.

Comparing different areas on that Police website shows how bad it is in areas where the Police stations have been closed to those that still have a manned Police station.

Take a look at Poynton or Chapel-en-le-Frith which are outside of the GMP boundary so still have manned Police stations.

Crime & burglary in particular is far worse in Marple than it is Brinnington so we can compare figures with less affluent areas as well as more affluent areas like Tyrtherington as I did earlier. When I spoke with the Police I was told the high rate of robbery & burglary in Marple is because it is an affluent area, so I looked at what I saw as a slightly more affluent area. The excuse doesn't hold water.

This decision to close the small local Police stations has proven to be a very bad decision yet Superintendent John Berry said our Police stations will not come back, it is a decision made by the Chief constable that will not be reversed.

It takes a big man to admit he was wrong.

corium

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »
Is it just coincidental to this thread that in the last week I've seen our two community support officers twice in a week having not seen them in at least a year? Once on Station road, once on Longhurst Lane. Or are these seen as high risk areas at present?

Dave

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
What a difference! We Marple folk are paying a lot of money for a service we don't receive.
http://www.police.uk/cheshire/N015/crime/

I suspect that comparison tells us more about Prestbury and Tytherington than it does about the police!    Have a look at this:  http://www.police.uk/greater-manchester/J2/crime/

The crime rate in Stockport East ranges from 151 in Offerton to 1 in Mellor.  Which area of Stockport East is more comparable with Prestbury?   ;)

Russ

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
Not sure how to post a link like sgk did there but take a look at another area outside of GMP's boundary but only a few miles from here. Maybe sgk can post the picture up for me.

What a difference! We Marple folk are paying a lot of money for a service we don't receive.

http://www.police.uk/cheshire/N015/crime/

sgk

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »
A recent report claimed that nationally 20% of crimes are not logged by the police so under-recording is not only a local isssue. Government claims of a falling crime rate are built on dodgy stats.

Tried the site, entered area as Marple (as postcode approach doesn't recognise SK6), then worked fine.

tigerman

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »
Having looked on the Police website http://www.police.uk/ the burglaries & break-ins that we are aware of in our area do not appear to be recorded? I wonder why?

A recent report claimed that nationally 20% of crimes are not logged by the police so under-recording is not only a local isssue. Government claims of a falling crime rate are built on dodgy stats.

sgk

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »
Do I read this as ... they were convicted of a string of burglaries, but they were given bail because they face other charges?
Do you think it would be possible to charge whichever magistrate or judge gave bail with aiding and abetting an offender?
I hope that having picked them up for burglaries in the first few months of this year the police will investigate whether they were involved in the string of burglaries in 2013. Not that the courts are exactly helping the police or the community here.

The guidelines for the court are here http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/Burglary_Definitive_Guideline_web_final.pdf

Looking down the list on page 10, appears offences like this one don't tick enough of the boxes, see the ones I've marked in red as possibly relevant.  So therefore bail gets repeatedly granted.

Quote from: Sentencing Council
Factors increasing seriousness. Statutory aggravating factors:
  • Previous convictions, having regard to a) the nature of the offence to which the conviction relates and its relevance to the current offence; and b) the time that has elapsed since the conviction*
  • Offence committed whilst on bail
  • Other aggravating factors include:
  • Child at home (or returns home) when offence committed
  • Offence committed at night
  • Gratuitous degradation of the victim
  • Any steps taken to prevent the victim reporting the incident or obtaining assistance and/or from assisting or supporting the prosecution
  • Victim compelled to leave their home (in particular victims of domestic violence)
  • Established evidence of community impact
  • Commission of offence whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Failure to comply with current court orders
  • Offence committed whilst on licence
  • Offences Taken Into Consideration (TICs)

hollins

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 08:53:10 AM »
The Police objected to the bail request but the Court granted it!

Do I read this as ... they were convicted of a string of burglaries, but they were given bail because they face other charges?

Do you think it would be possible to charge whichever magistrate or judge gave bail with aiding and abetting an offender?

I hope that having picked them up for burglaries in the first few months of this year the police will investigate whether they were involved in the string of burglaries in 2013. Not that the courts are exactly helping the police or the community here.

Russ

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
Sheer madness!

They are known to up their game when on bail.