Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Catering for Marple/Connect2  (Read 29305 times)

rsh

Re: Catering for Marple/Connect2
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »
Further photos of the new bridge and bridleway can be found here:

www.flickr.com/photos/ants/

or you can start here and navigate through the snaps:

www.flickr.com/photos/ants/7678196124/in/photostream

If you start here you should see the photos in the correct order (I took a full series of snaps all the way along): http://www.flickr.com/photos/ants/7685117952/in/set-72157630112703474

I'm particularly impressed with the abundance of new signage (even at long last on Middlewood Way!), and the finish of the bridge and pathway is really impressive. As well as being very useful and eventually opening up new routes it will hopefully become quite an attraction in itself.

wheels

« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
Unfortunately I was unable to attend the opening of the bridge ceremony, although my wife was there.  It has been great to see the videos and photos of the event and the number of people there. It was also pleasing to see the signposts in place. Now it is time for Marple residents and others to persuade the Council to bring the next section of the route from Otterspool Bridge to Bredbury Hall up to a usable standard for those wishing to use it for commuting into Stockport, and of course bringing more Stockport residents into Marple to benefit the local businesses.

I agree the bridge really only works if you can then cycle down into Stockport. I see a campaign developing to get the route from Otterspool Bridge up to standard.

CTCREP

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
Unfortunately I was unable to attend the opening of the bridge ceremony, although my wife was there.  It has been great to see the videos and photos of the event and the number of people there. It was also pleasing to see the signposts in place. Now it is time for Marple residents and others to persuade the Council to bring the next section of the route from Otterspool Bridge to Bredbury Hall up to a usable standard for those wishing to use it for commuting into Stockport, and of course bringing more Stockport residents into Marple to benefit the local businesses.

marveld

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2012, 11:26:06 PM »
Further photos of the new bridge and bridleway can be found here:

www.flickr.com/photos/ants/

or you can start here and navigate through the snaps:

www.flickr.com/photos/ants/7678196124/in/photostream

wheels

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2012, 10:57:53 PM »
Excellent photos,wish I could take photos of that quality, it was a good turnout.

Good to see cyclists from city centre Manchester who had cycled over for the event.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2012, 10:12:59 PM »
Arthur Procter's photos of the Chadkirk Bridge opening ceremony are now on-line:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=128
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

nedsram

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »
A short YouTube video of the opening ceremony is available here:

nedsram

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »
The link via Dale Road and the Goyt is on the Sustrans map as a proposed route for National Cycle Route 55. So yes, for the time being it is not a right of way for cyclists.

Also the Chadkirk bridge officially opens at 12 this Sunday.

marplerambler

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
I attended the Area Committee Meeting of the Ramblers’ Association Manchester Area last month and informed them of the forthcoming opening of the new bridge. I believe that the new route will be beneficial to both cyclists and walkers. To the best of my knowledge no further approach to Stockport Council has been made by any representative of Manchester Area Ramblers Association or Stockport Group Ramblers’ Association. The link from Dale Road to the new footbridge is not a cycle route, it is a link for pedestrians only: cyclists and horseriders who use this route without right of access in their property deeds or the express permission of the landowner commit an act of trespass and can be prosecuted  by the landowner. Damper sections of the footpath along Marple Dale have been torn to shreds by cyclists using this route illegally. Hopefully the specially constructed link to the new bridge from Marple Hall School will lead to a considerable reduction in cycles on the footpath along Marple Dale. I believe that the wisest course of action for the Ramblers’ Association is to see how effective the new A-frame stiles (narrow at top to block cycle handlebars but broad at the bottom allowing push chairs and wheelchair users) are in preventing illegal usage of Marple Dale by cyclists who choose to ignore the specially constructed bike route. The legal status of the route from Marple Hall School to the new bridge has been changed to bridleway to create a new much needed cycle route taking the cyclist off Dan Bank and creating a link which is hoped will precede renovation of the bridleway along the Goyt Valley to Lower Bredbury and on to Stockport.
As for the comments about cyclists working for SMBC, there is only one Cycling Officer and he has been involved in all aspects of the Chadkirk Bridge project since its inception and the other cyclist was probably the Public Rights of Way Officer. Between them they know more about the public rights of way in the area and the bridge project than anyone else in Stockport so heaven knows who you bumped into.
PS. Before you ask the question ‘Why were Council staff on a footpath on their bikes when everyone else is excluded?’ the answer is that the Highways Act 1980 section 300 ‘Right of local authorities to use vehicles and appliances on footpaths and bridleways’ gives local authority employees working on footpaths a right of access by vehicle or by bicycle. Why? Because it saves the local ratepayer cash! Inspection work can be carried out more quickly if the car or van is left near Marple Hall School and the inspection can be carried out more quickly by bike than it would be on foot.

Tricky

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
From SMBC website..

Alan Newton, who won a bronze medal for Great Britain at the 1952 Olympic Games in Helsinki, will open the new Chadkirk Bridge in Romiley, Stockport, on Sunday 29th July at 11.30am.

Alan, aged 81, who lives in nearby Offerton, also finished 4th in the individual pursuit in the 1952 cycling world championships.

Chadkirk Bridge is a multi-use bridge over the River Goyt linking Marple, Bredbury Green and Romiley, and linking to local and national trails.

It is part of a national project from charity Sustrans to build new walking and cycling routes linking up communities across the UK. Designed for cyclists, pedestrians, and horse riders the bridge will improve community links within Stockport, National Cycle Network connections with the Middlewood Way from Marple to Macclesfield, and the Trans Pennine Trail, a national multi-user trail between the Irish and North Seas.

Following the opening, the 16th annual Chadkirk Festival starts in the adjacent Chadkirk Country Estate. The Stockport Council-organised event has something for everyone including a puppet show, willow weaving, traditional Romanian dancing, birds of prey, fencing and martial arts displays, hand ring bells, brass band, and many craft and information stalls.

Councillor Iain Roberts, Executive Member for Economic Development and Regeneration, said: “It’s great to be able to give more people the opportunity to walk or cycle in Stockport. Chadkirk Bridge will provide a pleasant and safe off-road route for everyone, from cyclists, horse riders and walkers to commuters and schoolchildren.”

Councillor Craig Wright, Chair of the Stockport Connect2 steering group, added: “I was delighted that the scheme attracted the support of the public in a national vote. This new river crossing will be a vital and well-used link between local communities in the east of the borough.”

Sustrans’ Regional Director for North West, Peter Foster said: “Walking and cycling for everyday journeys is great for our health, the environment and it’s fun too. These new links are going to make a real difference to how people make their everyday journeys in and around Marple, especially in getting to the magnificent Chadkirk Festival. We hope to work with Stockport Council in the future to deliver even more routes like this locally, making it safer to get around on two wheels.”
meh

Lily

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »
Hi Wheels,

Can you explain to the 'unenlightened' who Alan Newton is, and what he has achieved.

I know Alan but most people in the area won't have a clue about him.

wheels

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2012, 12:15:10 AM »
I am told Alan Newton will be opening the bridge on Sunday. A good choice I say.

marveld

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
I walked over the bridge this evening along with several others coming from both sides of the river. All barriers are now removed. Finishing touches being applied (wooden fencing / landscaping) ready for the official opening this Sunday.

nedsram

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »
There is some hope. Stockport MBC joined forces with Sustrans to create a Connect2 route from Rosehill down Dale Rd crossing the River Goyt with a new bridge near Chadkirk and continuing right into Stockport. We can only hope Sustrans will be able to achieve something that years of requests have failed to do.
There is as yet no progress on the link from Rose Hill via Dale Road to the new bridge at Chadkirk (which is near the old weir). However the link from Marple Hall High School is now almost complete, and the formal opening of the Chadkirk bridge will take place next Sunday.

As for you comment on signage, I did bump into two cyclists working for SMBC who were looking at suitable places where signage could be put in place. However it was clear that my local knowledge was far superior to theirs, as they were asking me where the next river crossing point upstream was, and I had to advise them on the best way to get to Rose Hill from the new Chadkirk bridge.

You can get more information on this here.

marveld

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
As previously mentioned on this forum, the Chadkirk bridge over the river Goyt will open on Sunday 29th July.

I can confirm the time will be 11:30 am, with the Chadkirk Festival commencing at 12 noon.