Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701638 times)

Rachael

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #773 on: August 29, 2011, 12:40:12 PM »
good points there JMC .

wage increases do not reflect the cost of living, our weekly shop costs us a small fortune, I did a well known supermarkets price challenge , and my weekly shop was £16.00 cheaper than in Sainsburys,  £11 pounds cheaper than Morrisons , so goodness knows how much cheaper than the Co Op it would be .  £16 pounds a week over a month is a lot of money to me .

I did mention that it would be good if the co op was taken over, but this was met by one person suggesting that a much cheaper supermarket  would put the small shops out of business too because they couldnt compete ? ( just one persons opinion I know, but I can see thier point ) .

I have not signed any petition for or against  because of where I am employed  it is not in my interest ,   BUT if there was a supermarket to be built behind my house, I would be upset about it , I love where I live, and I love what is behind my house  , and if this is possible at the college site when documentation clearly shows it should not be used for this purpose, then really it could happen anywhere :(

JMC

« Reply #772 on: August 29, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »
I have said on several posts that we need to see all sides so it is good that new people have joined. I myself am still making my mind up in many ways. My main concerns are traffic etc. But i am thus far not involved with any campaign etc. There is a big group of people in the middle who are not sure either way or don't want to be identified on either 'side' as they have friends who own shops etc and don't want to fall out!

I have said on several posts on this thread that we need to see it from the point of view of people who can't afford to go out of town for their shopping. Nobody has really replied to it. I am lucky that i can afford online shopping now but before that I had to rely on family etc. for lifts, I would have much preferred a cheaper local shop as hated being a burden on people. Iceland is good but you can't get everything there like you could in Asda etc. That's why the campaign can look hypocritical if those on the march etc. are older people who have cars (this is the comments I have heard from friends etc.) and can afford to choose to go to other areas to Tesco etc but are 'stopping' those who can't from having a cheaper food shop. With the economy etc., more people are on a budget. Saving £20 can mean being able to use the heating or a child being able to have hot dinners etc.

Another thing is that Tina made a good point. Some people are against any supermarket and have said we have enough shops, the Co-op is great etc etc. Local store owners would probably also object to a store opening on chadwick street or anywhere else. It would still potentially cause traffic and put other shops out of business. What if a Poundland etc. wanted to open? That could put alot of shops out of business. I understand people want to keep Marple as it is but sadly the economy has changed immeasurably and most people do shop at a supermarket outside of their local independant shops. However, people do top up in their local village and many older people also prefer to carry on shopping there as well as those with the choice/money to do so so there is still plenty of scope for a thriving precient.

The hazel grove message board have been talking about this issue and many were calling Marple people hypocrites for being happy to use hazel grove superstores (and so not helping marple shops) but not wanting one in their back yard.

mum_of_2

« Reply #771 on: August 29, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
*polution not position

MY comment i wrote before seems to have disappeared.....i will ask again

If the land on hibbert lane is only for residential building then how have the supermarkets been able to get this far with bidding?
If my post disappears again i know there is something being hidden from us....

Sareena

« Reply #770 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:42 AM »
*polution not position

Sareena

« Reply #769 on: August 29, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
I would like to add to that by saying that in my opinion, people who have cars add to traffic and position so It is so hypocritical of anyone who drives to complain about that.
Also do not believe that small bussiness will be greatly affected. I know that I will continue to support the shops I already support, the only place that will be losing my custom is co op. This is the same for many other people I have spoken to.

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #768 on: August 29, 2011, 11:17:42 AM »
As I repeatedly emphasised, Steptoe, the numbers I used were purely for illustration. What matters is the underlying point: that the new Hibbert Lane supermarket could very well have a 'swings and roundabouts' effect on the other Marple shops. Some will close, but others will open in their place, because there could very well be a net increase in 'footfall' because overall there are likely to be more shoppers in Marple.

Dave, you have hit the nail on the head.  In your opinion, there 'could very well be' an increase in shoppers, however, there 'could very well be' a decrease, that's the sum of it.  To use figures in a lengthy post looks to me as if you are trying to legitimise what was, and remains, pure speculation.   As stated, the numbers are meaningless.

Miss Marple

« Reply #767 on: August 29, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
Forgot to mention !   Lots of people were asking to purchase t shirts on Sat but we have run out  :'(.    Good news is we have had more printed and they will be on the stall this Sat  ;D

tina

« Reply #766 on: August 29, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »
It's good to see some of the new people here who are now voicing their opinion. Healthy debate is good for all.

I think one of the things that people need to remember is that the Marple in Action group are NOT opposed to a new supermarket. they ARE opposed to it being built on the Hibbert Lane site. It is not approved for retail development, only housing development.

Personally, I don't mind another supermarket to give the co-op some competition and to help bring their prices down. Good local shops will survive. The quality of service and produce you get from (for example) Whites & Archers is something that a supermarket will not match.

The thing is, nomatter where the supermarket is built, there will always be people objecting to the same topics they are objecting about now (more traffic, pollution etc)

I have to agree,  some of the main arguments are the extra traffic, pollution and loss of shops. So if a supermarket comes to Marple... lets say for example the council sells the 'reck' at arkwright rd and tesco/asda build there... are you all saying you will be happy with that and no protests, petitions etc etc???  I doubt it because the same would be a issue to you.

Miss Marple

« Reply #765 on: August 29, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
We have now got a copy of the TV coverage of the March last Sat and it is hoped that it can be linked to this site, well I hope so , I am sure someone could do this.  WHAT A TEAM !!!!!

mum_of_2

« Reply #764 on: August 29, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
It's good to see some of the new people here who are now voicing their opinion. Healthy debate is good for all.

I think one of the things that people need to remember is that the Marple in Action group are NOT opposed to a new supermarket. they ARE opposed to it being built on the Hibbert Lane site. It is not approved for retail development, only housing development.

Personally, I don't mind another supermarket to give the co-op some competition and to help bring their prices down. Good local shops will survive. The quality of service and produce you get from (for example) Whites & Archers is something that a supermarket will not match.

The thing is, nomatter where the supermarket is built, there will always be people objecting to the same topics they are objecting about now (more traffic, pollution etc)

Howard

« Reply #763 on: August 29, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »

Susan

« Reply #762 on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »
Well said mum of two, i am all for it,even though i live in Dukinfield and before you all jump on me for that, My family live in Marple and i still do my shopping in marple at Icelands and Wilsons.

mum_of_2

« Reply #761 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:11 AM »
Thank you...That was a mistake on my account....i didnt think the pink would be that pale....  will not be using it again lol

Smithy166

« Reply #760 on: August 29, 2011, 12:07:34 AM »
can we please use non-coloured fonts?
I can't read what you've typed, so i've translated it here :

Pink text changed to default in original post so quote removed. Admin.

mum_of_2

« Reply #759 on: August 28, 2011, 11:59:22 PM »
Dear miss marple

I understand completly that you have some very strong opinions, and although you do make some very fair points, there are always two sides to every argument, and it is now become a 2 sided argument. With people saying there will be alot more traffic, small businesses will close, more pollution etc ...and  then there are the people saying that there will be less  traffic due to the fact people can walk, and the traffic would be slightly reduced, people are saying they will still shop in the smaller shops due to the fact they like the quality, atmosphere, the price etc, and also there is pollution everywhere you go these days, we do not live in the hills, we live in a busy town so we are expected to surrounded by vehicles.
There are lots of different views, and i have listed a few below

I live on the main road and the amount of busses and HGVs that pass my house already does not affect me.
As for child safety, it is up to the parents to teach their children the green cross code....My son who has just turned 4 knows he should never cross the road without waiting for me, his father or the adult looking after him and he know we wait for the green man at the lights ...(even my  just turned 2 year old has grasped this). as they get older i will be teaching them about zebra crossings, and other safe ways to cross. unfortunatly there are the small minority out there who chose to ignore the green cross code and therefore thats when accidents happen. There is however, a pelican crossing on that road....right near the site....it is there for a purpose and it should be used.

I personally beleive marple would benefit from a supermarket....Not a giant one like the tesco in stockport or the asda in hyde, but a fairly sized one that could accomodate all the things people would need.
My husband and i are on a low income and have two young boys to care for...and after buying essensials for them (nappies, wipes, special milk for my lactose/soya intolerant son...which costs £10 alone) there doesnt seem to be enough money left to do a full weeks shop in the co-op.
We do like to get our meat from the butchers, but we can only afford to get this once a month to last a few meals, we get our frozen and milk in iceland as its still cheaper than the co-op, but then we either have to put the burden on family and friends to take us to the supermarket or get as much as we possibly can with the money we have left in the co-op.

I beleive that the people of marple should be able to have a choice about where we shop, seeing as we get a choice with hairdressers, cafes, public houses, fruit and veg shops, butchers etc.

Like i said there are always Two sides to every story and all those petitioning against the supermarket will have a view of their own.....but i bet alot of them will get at least 1 item from the supermarket if it were to come to marple.

Applologies for any spelling mistakes, i am very tired and have been waiting for admin to approve me onto this site so i could voice my opinion.

Oh  and as you are now aware, facebook has a page, and a group. I was the Original Creator of the group, and i am admin on the page....the reason i set those up was to hear views of people who are FOR the supermarket, as all i was hearing and seeing was 'NO'. I thought id would be nice to hear some yes opinions and why people are in favor. it has been a hit so far (obviously not as big as the no campaign) but it is early days, and i hope to hear some varied views from both sides of this campaign.....that way people can have a choice on what they would like to vote for. These pages were not set up to slag anyone off...and if anything is seen it will be removed, as it there to show that there is a side of marple that DO want the supermarket  :)

Pink text changed to default colour. Admin