Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Widening of Dan Bank  (Read 74850 times)

rotten john

Re: Widening of Dan Bank
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
theres a big sunflower growing there now aswell as tall poppies looks great now,still missing the carved animals on the stumps though :(

Miss Marple

« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »
Just as a matter of intrest does anybody know what the 2 ft  flowers that are growing all over the banking are ?  I think it may have looked more aesthetically pleasing if they had been intermingled with other species and colours. Just a thought  :-\

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
I have just driven up Dan Bank in the sunshine and it looks as good now as it ever did, even better.  Ray

Miss Marple

« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »
Well it's certainly rained !  But I can see no evidence of the intended RAIN forest !  I can although see LOTS of dead trees ! 

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »
They won't die a death each year!! 

We've had a very dry and very warm spring which was unexpected and VERY unusual! Trees and shrubs are usually planted at this time surely so they can establish themselves and get a decent root system in the wet but not too cold spring!

Once they've been in the ground a few months with decent rainfall they're generally ok and would have survived through the summer.  Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but......

Its a shame but JUST one of those things. Had a good look on way up the other day and most of them seem ok to me!

Duke Fame

« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2011, 11:54:05 PM »
Well there are many factors to consider and a lot comes down to the allocated budget which I must be diplomatic about and state only facts that I know.  More established trees are very expensive and have a high rate of failure, the palm on the hilton will of cost many more thousands of pounds to import and install, and with that in mind is more likely to survive. We have had a very dry period and as already stated it will and has had a serious effect on the trees.  Lets hope for lots of rain to help establish the trees that have been planted. 8)

I appreciate that, I think the trees should be planted at as little a cost as possible, our taxes are already far too high

David myers

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
Yes it has been scorched by the sun, many of the Yews and Hollies are suffering which is due to the bank being South facing and combined with the lack of rain it has taken its tole on the planted stock.  We have undertaken 3 watering operations to help the trees establish as per SMBC's instructions, with each operation 4000 litres were used.  Once a full season has passed, im sure replacements will be planted ::)
. Blimey!!!    I was hoping to see them in full bloom during my life time.  If the flipping things keep dying a death each year and having to be replanted, would it not be a better idea to replant more established trees / srubs.   I noticed that the palm tree at the Hilton which was flown in from Spain is still alive and kicking even though it's hundreds of feet in the air and exposed to winds and extreme weather  :-\
Well there are many factors to consider and a lot comes down to the allocated budget which I must be diplomatic about and state only facts that I know.  More established trees are very expensive and have a high rate of failure, the palm on the hilton will of cost many more thousands of pounds to import and install, and with that in mind is more likely to survive. We have had a very dry period and as already stated it will and has had a serious effect on the trees.  Lets hope for lots of rain to help establish the trees that have been planted. 8)

Miss Marple

« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »
Yes it has been scorched by the sun, many of the Yews and Hollies are suffering which is due to the bank being South facing and combined with the lack of rain it has taken its tole on the planted stock.  We have undertaken 3 watering operations to help the trees establish as per SMBC's instructions, with each operation 4000 litres were used.  Once a full season has passed, im sure replacements will be planted ::)
. Blimey!!!    I was hoping to see them in full bloom during my life time.  If the flipping things keep dying a death each year and having to be replanted, would it not be a better idea to replant more established trees / srubs.   I noticed that the palm tree at the Hilton which was flown in from Spain is still alive and kicking even though it's hundreds of feet in the air and exposed to winds and extreme weather  :-\

JMC

« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
I miss seeing all the trees in their arch. I also am worried about the pavement being used for cyclists. This struck me as being very dangerous if they are going downhill!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2011, 01:25:56 PM »
Hello this is my first post.  :) I have been following this topic for a while so wanted to add my views.

The main road is actually still Stockport Road, Dan bank is a small cul-de-sac at the top of the hill.  ;D
I think you will find that Stockport Rd/Dan Bank was called Dan Bank long before the cul de sac and the houses thereon where thought of. The (c18thcentury?) farm overlooking the road is called Higher Dan Bank Farm which suggests that there may have been another, similarly named farm in the vicinity.

The houses on the cul-de-sac were built in my father's lifetime. (He came to Marple as a six year old so was a new-comer, as a friend informed him shortly before he died, aged nearly 80!). He told me that the main road was called Dan Bank long before he came to the village (as it was then). It is more likely that the cul-de-sac was called Dan Bank after the main road as a convenient name, rather than the main road being named after the cul-de-sac.

David myers

« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
Can Mr Myers tell me if the large fir tree which has been planted at the bottom of Dan Bank is dying as it has gone very brown at the ends?  If it has is there any chance of getting a replacement from SMBC as I had visions of that tree having lights on at Christmas when it got larger.  I thought that it was in a perfect location to light up at Christmas  ???

Rachael

« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
Hmmm yes, I see your point about cyclists ...... see me being me ... wouldn't attempt it on a bike, knowing that i have to get back up the hill .... and me and hills and bicycles ... are not a marriage made in heaven , but that's another story ( which involved my friend Pinot Grigio)     ::)
 ;)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »
...the pavement is much safer....

Arthur has asked me to point out that when he was taking the latest photos he was nearly knocked over by a cyclist going DOWNHILL on the path at around 30 mph!

It's a bit of a concern if cyclists are now going to use the pavement to go downhill as well as up. Coming up their speed is unlikely to be dangerous to pedestrians but going down is a completely different matter.

That concern aside, I must agree with what you say PP.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Rachael

« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »
I honestly think it looks much better, and originally I never thought I would say that , I like the wall, the pavement is much safer, the trees will soon grow, and the old stumps will be hidden by new growth.

I like it :)