All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Widening of Dan Bank  (Read 74858 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Widening of Dan Bank
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2011, 06:50:03 AM »
In April 2009 Arthur Procter took some photos on Dan Bank showing it on a glorious spring day and earlier this year he sent them to me. Rather than publish them while the work was going on in February, which I thought would unfairly fan the flames, I asked Arthur to take some comparison shots at the same time this year.

Arthur did that earlier this week and both sets of images have now been added to the Dan Bank / Dooley Lane album on the Virtual Tour. I thought it would also be good to reproduce them side by side here. In each case the 2009 photos are on the left and 2011 on the right.

I've asked Arthur to take the same shots this time next year, which will give another interesting comparison.

Here's the link to the Dan Bank album on the Virtual Tour:
http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-40
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »
Noticed driving up Dan Bank today that a couple of newly planted larger trees have started to go brown!  Now ! I'm no gardener or tree expert but in this dry weather shouldn't they be watered regularly when newly planted and in dry weather ?

amazon

« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »
sorry not finished as such . i meant to say youcant go back whats done is done .

Harry

« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2011, 01:03:47 PM »
its done  :)its finished

It certainly isn't finished. There's still quite a bit to do, especially at the Dooley Lane / Stockport Road junction.

TSF

« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »
its done  :)its finished so not a lot you can do about it its a great improvement .Compstall brow next we hope . dan bank looking really good, smbc please look at compstall brow soon ???

Basementlife

« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »
Details of the work on the Dooley Lane junction can be found at...http://www.u-to-us.com/danbank/default.asp?pageid=4&groupid=4

From which...
"We are improving this busy junction by making the following changes to Dooley Lane where it joins Stockport Road. The main elements of the scheme are:

* To provide a full two lane approach for vehicles.
    * To widen the footpath to 2 metres.
    * To introduce traffic light controlled crossing facilities to make it safer for pedestrians and providing dropped kerbs and tactile paving.
    * To lengthen the left turn lane for traffic turning left from Dooley Lane into Stockport Road
    * To upgrade the signal equipment and controller

This work is wholly funded by Stockport Council."

The junction diagram on the website shows that the turn into Dooley Lane from Dan Bank will be/ is now tighter, with the traffic island there.

Having come back from Romiley twice this past week, 'Dad's Taxi Service plc.,at 11pm., the works are no great inconvenience at that time, apart from the powerful lights illuminating the works. My symparthy for those having to crawl along Dooley Lane during the day.

Tricky

« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
I pass through most nights (often around midnight) - and every night since Stockport Road has been re-opened there has been work taking place at the junction..

meh

Miss Marple

« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
Nothing much seems to be happening now and the traffic is dreadful coming into Marple from Dooley Lane.  I was in the Hare and Hounds this afternoon and dreaded the battle I faced trying to join the traffic to come back into Marple.  Does anyone know what the hold up is on the road works as the whole lot is supposed to be finished before Easter and that includes moving and re planting the compound.  Can not really see that happening can you or does Mr Myers know if and when he is re planting the compound?

marpudlian

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
Hello this is my first post.  :) I have been following this topic for a while so wanted to add my views.

The main road is actually still Stockport Road, Dan bank is a small cul-de-sac at the top of the hill.  ;D

I welcomed the idea of a cycle track up the hill but this does not appear to be what we have been given. Yes the pavement is a couple of foot wider which is good, but the huge cost of the works does not seem justified. It was also a shame to lose so many trees in the process, if they were removed to stabilise the road then fair enough but otherwise it seems unnecessary.

Also while I understand why the road had to be closed overnight, 7pm was very early to close the road, perhaps 9pm would have caused less disruption.   

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »
would have looked amazing as you drove up the hill into marple

You're right RJ, I mentioned this a few posts back - I'll be glad when the stumps are masked by the undergrowth and I can stop thinking about it every time I pass through - a missed opportunity.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

rotten john

« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:45 PM »
could they not have cut some of them superb animals into the stumps of the big trees they cut down ?,like that lovely owl at compstall or the squirrel at h/grove tip ?,i remeber some wonderfull big ogres cut out of trees at wythenshaw park............?
would have looked amazing as you drove up the hill into marple

David myers

« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2011, 09:36:58 PM »
I thought they worked at night because that was the least disruptive time for closing the road. I can't think of any reason to be working at night with the road open. They could work during the day and not need to spend money on lights.

If they are still working, how come there appears to have been no progress in the last 10 days?
I believe that the plan is to complete the remaining surfacing, top stones etc by Easter. There was a rumour that there was a shortage of coping stones at the quarry, but they have had enough notice to make the order!

Harry

« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »
I thought they worked at night because that was the least disruptive time for closing the road. I can't think of any reason to be working at night with the road open. They could work during the day and not need to spend money on lights.

If they are still working, how come there appears to have been no progress in the last 10 days?

Miss Marple

« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »
No they most defiantly have not !  They are still working throughout the night and the compound is still in full swing on Stockport Road also during the night  Could be that it's the new financial year and monies in last years pot is spent, hence the slowing down.

Harry

« Reply #148 on: April 06, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
Does anybody know why the work seems to have halted on Dan Bank?

The pavement is not finished. The access to Dan Bank from Stockport Road is not completed. The lower half of the new wall still has no 'top' stones on it. The pavement/cycle track has no markings. And the junction with Dooley Lane is an absolute nightmare, with queues going back to the Spread Eagle and further, not just at rush hour but even on a Sunday afternoon.

But I've not seen any progress in the last two weeks. Certainly the junction has had nothing done at all.

Have all the workers gone home?