Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Widening of Dan Bank  (Read 74847 times)

David myers

Re: Widening of Dan Bank
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
I would not get so worried about the size of samplings planted. A number of years ago a similar planting exercise took place on Strines Road, although not as large a site as Dan Bank. Within a couple of years the saplings were quite mature and I would be surprised if anyone can now tell the difference. Also it needs to be remembered that planting larger specimens is not only more expensive it is also less successfull in the long term with a high percentage of the larger specimens dying off.

I assume you are comparing the planting which extends along the grass strip between Strines Road/Lower Strines Road. From my recollection which is always a dangerous thing the plant material in size was in keeping with an average landscape scheme; the numbers were certainly more significant than Dan Bank as can be seen from the results on site at present which are in desperate need to be thinned out to allow the better long term specimens to flourish. The point i was trying to make was landscaping is normally the poor relation in a large scale engineering project. As for larger specimens dying off this percentage can be negligible if the species choice is correct, site preparation is professionally carried out, and a maintenance programme is implemented. DM are you carrying out the maintenance or will this be down to SMBC for the next 3-5 years?
Strines 1st, the planting scheme there was undertaken by smbc and the actual numbers were far less than db, regards thinning, yes they are in need of that and its always the practice to over plant at the start of a scheme so the best can be retained for the future and the later being removed to allow this. Dan Bank 2nd, the species that were planted are native and were chosen by the relevant tree officers, yes there will be a percentage that will fail and given the difficulty of covering the steep sections with fresh soil, we have found that areas are a little thin for replanting, this however will be a short term problem, as natural regeneration will take over were we have left off.  Regards the maintenance, smbc will be responsible for the care for these trees, which will involve watering and tie adjustment etc, we may be asked to undertake this or it may be dealt with internally.

belleesummerbee

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2011, 11:35:46 AM »
I would not get so worried about the size of samplings planted. A number of years ago a similar planting exercise took place on Strines Road, although not as large a site as Dan Bank. Within a couple of years the saplings were quite mature and I would be surprised if anyone can now tell the difference. Also it needs to be remembered that planting larger specimens is not only more expensive it is also less successfull in the long term with a high percentage of the larger specimens dying off.

I assume you are comparing the planting which extends along the grass strip between Strines Road/Lower Strines Road. From my recollection which is always a dangerous thing the plant material in size was in keeping with an average landscape scheme; the numbers were certainly more significant than Dan Bank as can be seen from the results on site at present which are in desperate need to be thinned out to allow the better long term specimens to flourish. The point i was trying to make was landscaping is normally the poor relation in a large scale engineering project. As for larger specimens dying off this percentage can be negligible if the species choice is correct, site preparation is professionally carried out, and a maintenance programme is implemented. DM are you carrying out the maintenance or will this be down to SMBC for the next 3-5 years?

amazon

« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
its done its finished so not a lot you can do about it its a great improvement .Compstall brow next we hope .

Victor M

« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »
Not sure i can join in with the general acceptance of the replacement planting landscape scheme, but this is not a reflection of the quality of works. In a multi million pound scheme we should remember that the cost of the plant material and planting will have probable cost less than 0.2% of the overall project. Larger sized plant material and greater numbers should have been used, even taking into consideration the practical problems of establishment. May be DM could also retrieve the original planting on the left when exiting Marple; with the majority of the plant matrial fastened to their individual supports with wire ties. Unfortunately where engineers are involved the green stuff is either an irrelevance or comes last on the list
I agree entirely !  I am amazed at how small the trees/ bushes are and remain at a loss as to how anyone can comment on how well it looks !   I do not hold Mr Myers responsible as he can only work with what he's got, but it's a poor replacement for what we have lost !

belleesummerbee

« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
Not sure i can join in with the general acceptance of the replacement planting landscape scheme, but this is not a reflection of the quality of works. In a multi million pound scheme we should remember that the cost of the plant material and planting will have probable cost less than 0.2% of the overall project. Larger sized plant material and greater numbers should have been used, even taking into consideration the practical problems of establishment. May be DM could also retrieve the original planting on the left when exiting Marple; with the majority of the plant matrial fastened to their individual supports with wire ties. Unfortunately where engineers are involved the green stuff is either an irrelevance or comes last on the list

Miss Marple

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Not sure there is a connection really - I used to drive through the country every day, and used to see loads of dead stuff around this time of the year, especially badgers, I think they just get a death wish!

You may be right ! But two badgers in the same spot tells me that they are unfamiliar with their route due to the road works!  On my late nights out I am always seeing the badgers cross at a certain point at the bottom of Dan Bank where now unfortunately the road widening has begun!  There are spot lights on all night and very heavy plant machinery all in the road, the noise is deafening.  So whilst I agree in some part with you, I am although aware that disorientation will have paid a major part in their demise

alison

« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »
Not sure there is a connection really - I used to drive through the country every day, and used to see loads of dead stuff around this time of the year, especially badgers, I think they just get a death wish!

Miss Marple

« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »
Coming home at around 3.30 am this morning i saw another dead badger in the road near traffic lights at bottom of Dan Bank.   This the second dead badger I have seen more or less at the same spot within the past 4 weeks!  I have now gone past caring what Dan Bank looks like and just want it all to be over with as the noise and lights most be disorientating to wild life placing them at high risk of injury / death  :'(

David myers

« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
I took quite a few pics today of the planting and already the leaves are coming out to play on the new trees, also there is a large patch of the Blue Bells at the bottom end coming into bloom. They should be uploaded later onto our website and are alos on my Facebook page, im so happy to the the Blue Bells and trees coming into leave as it softens the blow so much. :)

Thank goodness it's gone 12 now :o

The photographs mentioned by Mr Myers several wise-cracks back have now been uploaded to the Myers Tree Care web site at: www.myerstreecare.co.uk/danbank.html
Everyday should be April 1st!! its such fun. My birthday tomorrow, but sure I was born on the 1st!!!!!!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2011, 04:36:17 PM »
I took quite a few pics today of the planting and already the leaves are coming out to play on the new trees, also there is a large patch of the Blue Bells at the bottom end coming into bloom. They should be uploaded later onto our website and are alos on my Facebook page, im so happy to the the Blue Bells and trees coming into leave as it softens the blow so much. :)

Thank goodness it's gone 12 now :o

The photographs mentioned by Mr Myers several wise-cracks back have now been uploaded to the Myers Tree Care web site at: www.myerstreecare.co.uk/danbank.html
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

David myers

« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
I've got some 50 watt and some 75 watt bulbs left, I personally would prefer 25 watt bulbs as they will produce much less glare for the passing cyclist and motorist. :)
Hi Dave, if planting bulbs is too high tec for you,  may I suggest you grind a few stumps, preferably on Dan Bank  :D
I would love to, but due to the steep bank we would not be able to undertake grinding as it would overide all health and safety legislation.  These will rot in time and provide shelter for host for insects etc every wooded area should have a large amount of dead wood for this very reason.
With all the tree felling in Marple would I be correct in thinking arachnophobia and the like will be the next film shot here  ;)
Apparently the council is in talks with an american film company to agree some test shot locations throughout the village for a film they propose to produce and is based on the subject of the excecution of Charles 1st.

Miss Marple

« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2011, 10:43:31 AM »
I've got some 50 watt and some 75 watt bulbs left, I personally would prefer 25 watt bulbs as they will produce much less glare for the passing cyclist and motorist. :)
Hi Dave, if planting bulbs is too high tec for you,  may I suggest you grind a few stumps, preferably on Dan Bank  :D
I would love to, but due to the steep bank we would not be able to undertake grinding as it would overide all health and safety legislation.  These will rot in time and provide shelter for host for insects etc every wooded area should have a large amount of dead wood for this very reason.
With all the tree felling in Marple would I be correct in thinking arachnophobia and the like will be the next film shot here  ;)

David myers

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »

David myers

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2011, 11:03:46 PM »
Blimey, spring has definitely arrived, no whinging, compliments, jokes - what's come over you all? ;)

I think Dan Bank is looking much better, and once the new trees and flowers have time to settle its going to be great (its also quite nice to not have to put my headlights on to enter Marple in the daytime, and quite comforting to think that the likelihood of the road collapsing is lessened!)

Well done Myers, and all involved on the work done

Alison
Many thanks, just glad and proud that we are involved in the project and that its kept local!