Marple based web design | Websites That Work For You!

Author Topic: How are we all finding the new bin service .  (Read 24627 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: How are we all finding the new bin service .
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2011, 12:27:34 AM »
I used to have Monday collections until the new service was introduced and SMBC have always collected on Bank Holiday Mondays apart from Christmas Day itself. In general the collection service is very good, I only have a couple of gripes, one being the size of the green bin which is way too big for a small property, and actually seems to be making the job slower for the bin men as they are reaching into most bins at the moment to fish out the one or two food waste bags in there.

The other is the strange sense of humour that some of the refuse collectors seem to have about replacing the emptied bins. The other week I drove home to find a wall of 5 weelies bins lined up across the end of my drive!

Alison
Mine were emptied on the bank holiday Monday immediately following Christmas. Considering the recent kerfuffle about cuts and limiting of services this seems a little extreme

alison

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2011, 10:44:11 PM »
£12k a year for the kind of abuse they are getting hardly seems overly generous!  ;)

Duke Fame

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
I've had a patroniing letter about having an overflowing bin. Do I need a visit from a recycling officer? No, I just need a local council who can cope with me being away the previous bin day and realise someties I may have more waste.

What sort of non-job is a recycling officer? I'm told there are ten in Stockport, given they have a salary of say £12k that's a cost of £135k a year of 135 household's council tax on a complete waste of time. The council needs to get rid of these jobs and reduce our council taxes and business rates.

myloweb

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
So i'm not recycling properly Nick? Can you explain why my Blue, Brown and Black bins were overflowing then? No problems with food waste as not alot goes to waste here.....but cardboard, bottle and black waste full?   Sorry I do not find that acceptable.....but hopefully proves i do recycle properly as other wise suggested.

And no offence Happy New Year.

Barbara

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
I also have no problems with the service - so long as you don't lose the chart showing which bins to put out when!!  We are lucky in having space to store the bins but it is more difficult for those who live in terraces with no space for storage.  I also agree that for the majority of people the green bins are too large, but maybe in the summer they will get fuller - and next week they will be full of Christmas trees!
We certainly don't seem to be experiencing the difficulties that other areas have had.

alison

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »
I used to have Monday collections until the new service was introduced and SMBC have always collected on Bank Holiday Mondays apart from Christmas Day itself. In general the collection service is very good, I only have a couple of gripes, one being the size of the green bin which is way too big for a small property, and actually seems to be making the job slower for the bin men as they are reaching into most bins at the moment to fish out the one or two food waste bags in there.

The other is the strange sense of humour that some of the refuse collectors seem to have about replacing the emptied bins. The other week I drove home to find a wall of 5 weelies bins lined up across the end of my drive!

Alison

bat man

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »
I think Stockport council should be aplauded for the way they have introduced the new bin service,like all councils they have a time limit when they must recycle more waste,unfortunatly the goverment changed the goal posts and want recycling introduced more quickly.A big thank you to the collection crews who have had to addapt to new working very quickly.Now if we all remember when to put our bins out and what colour and the fact that the collectors do not collect bin bags,and the lids on the bins must be closed things will be a lot easier.If you have a problem remembering what bin and colour to put out stick the calender provided by the council in a promonent place,after all recycling protects the planet for us our children,our grandchildren and there children.Lets give the council and the collectors time to  settle into the new routine. ;D

Rachael

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
I think its a real eye opener to what we stick in landfill,  my paper bin was full to bursting over christmas , and my bottle and can bin wasnt far off  either  ... but had it been full, there are a couple of recycling points around the area which I would use .

I have a family of four, we are managing ok with the black bin ( just ) .

Tina is right about the green bin, food is collected weekly, that was no different before, I would find people who have babies, and waste  nappies etc would be a bit of an issue on a fortnightly collection  ... but people have choices .. there are eco friendly alternatives for babies these days

We used to have at least 3 black bin bags of rubbish before all the wheely bins  on a weekly basis , if we want to recycle, how can we complain, we are having the stuff collected from the doorstep to do just that , granted we pay our council tax , but sometimes I think we are lucky to have the service we do  ( nobody shoot me !)

tina

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »
I totally agree with Harry...well done SMBC for all the collections made over christmas. I was watching the news last night and was thankful that we have a better service. I dont understand the statement made by miss marple about rotting food and blue bottles in the summer? the green bin is emptied weekly so why would the food be rotting?

Harry

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
After seeing on the News how other areas have rubbish piling up in the streets, I think SMBC should be congratulated on keeping the service running on schedule during the bad weather and Christmas.

Dave

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »
[SMBC is supposed to be short of money but is prepared to pay double time for Christmas BH working.

I seem to recall being told, a while back, that SMBC decided to keep collections going on bank holidays when they found that it would cost at least as much in overtime if they switched the collections to another day. 

moonforest

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 09:02:03 AM »
Wallking the dog the other day we came across three black bin bags full of rubbish abandoned on the canal towpath. Quelle surprise!!

Taurus

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 08:34:56 AM »
Myloweb......that's right, attack my comment and totally avoid what YOU had said.

Residents who have surplus rubbish bags for the black bin are not recycling properly.....I suggest they look up recycling tips to find out what goes in what bin.

and for the record....I can voice my opinion whatever it is, just as you can!!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 12:22:41 AM »
Wait till summer we will have some fun then when bins are over flowing, blue bottles blowing, rotten food decaying and RATS !!!!
As my bins have been emptied promptly on the correct days I don't have a gripe about that BUT I was somewhat appalled to find that the normal collections took place on the Bank Holiday Monday. SMBC is supposed to be short of money but is prepared to pay double time for Christmas BH working.

Miss Marple

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 10:18:55 PM »
Wait till summer we will have some fun then when bins are over flowing, blue bottles blowing, rotten food decaying and RATS !!!!