Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Recycling Dustbins  (Read 13117 times)

alison

Re: Recycling Dustbins
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 11:39:02 PM »
Taken from Stockport Councils's surprisingly informative website today

Q. I've still not received my roll of compostable liners, when will they be delivered?
A.
We apologise that you have not received your roll of compostable liners, this was due to a supply issue which has now been resolved.

Liners are being delivered from Saturday 30th October to Friday 5th November.
[back to top]

There is also information about what else you can line the bin with, the delays with the green bins etc. Full link here

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/environment/rubbishwasterecycling/recyclingcollection/changescollections

Hope this helps

Alison

amazon

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:26 AM »
no .still nothing to put the caddy into either [ Marple Bridge area ]

Deniseam

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 11:29:21 AM »
Anyone had their supply of bags for the small green box yet?  Our first collection is on Monday. 

Neil Smith

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »

- My neighbour is a bin man, and he mentioned last night that whilst they have been out delivering the bins they have been getting loads of abuse from the Stockport residents. We might not be thrilled with what's going on, but its not the council workers fault so hardly right to hurl abuse at them.

I agree nobody should take the kind of abuse people get but if you have tried to get into touch with SMBC and just been fobbed off the bin men our a face of the council people will rant at. 

badger

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »
Several years ago I was deemed not suitable for the green bin so wasn't offered one, but when the blue and brown ones appeared they were put in my drive which has only enough room for my car, so I complained that there was no room to house them (this was in June, they moved them in September)after they had blown over on my car twice.
I explained that they wouldn't wheel round the back as there is a 70 odd metre stretch of lime stone
gravel and two steep ramps which are dangerous and slippy when wet or icy.The council say in there opinion my property is suitable, I say its not and refused to have the new black one but had to give assurance that I would take my own refuse to the tip.The little green bin for outside they'll let me have, so I'm waiting to see how long it takes to collect this time. I asked who would be responsible if injured myself while wheeling the bin round the back but didn't get an answere.

Harry

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2010, 11:43:10 AM »
According to the 'blurb' I received, and the Council website, we will receive a roll of 150 bags per year. That, they claim, is enough for the 'average' family.

alison

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »
Well my four bins are now lined up in front of the house completely in the way.  There is a note from the council explaining the compostable liners situation which doesn't appear to be their fault. I have given up trying to get some sense out of the council, but I do have the following observations, be interested for a councillors response.....

- The Green bin is ridiculously large for my size of property. When the council negotiated the contract they made a blanket decision to order only 240? litre size green bins, mine will never be full. The recycling trucks can deal with the slimmer bins and in my opinion they should have offered these as an option, particularly where your house has been 'deemed suitable' for wheelie bins but is struggling for storage space.

- The 'blurb' says that in trials, residents used an average of 3 compostable liners a week, residents have been/ will be provided with a roll of 100 liners and will have to buy any additional ones only from the approved supplier. So in effect the average household is going to have to pay extra on top of the existing council tax for the new service.

- My neighbour is a bin man, and he mentioned last night that whilst they have been out delivering the bins they have been getting loads of abuse from the Stockport residents. We might not be thrilled with what's going on, but its not the council workers fault so hardly right to hurl abuse at them.

Right, said my piece, I'll climb back down off my soapbox!

Alison

amazon

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 03:09:31 PM »
i Have been left too Black bins one small caddy no bags will i be having another green bin to put the caddy in we dont have a green bin for garden rubbish told properties not suitable yet we have bins for household rubbish .
                       Your comments please .

Neil Smith

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
I hear the council has run out of bags for the little green bin. I have seen first hand THREE properties have been double delivered too, YES that's correct 1 house has been left 2 black bins 2 little green bins and a 2 rolls of bags. I have seen this while out and about working in Marple and Romiley so what will have happened in the rest of Stockport :o :o

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 01:18:55 PM »
I think we should ask for a reduction in our community charge for separating and sorting the recycling stuff out into these bins.  All our inconvenience of having five bins is a nonsense it is just a cost cutting exercise by the government under the guise of saving the planet to save them the expense of sending it in bulk to a recycling sorting centre.   :o
Nothing to do with the government. EU regs, I believe. Don't think it saves much money but the theory is sound.

Sadly though a lot of the stuff we sort for recycling ends up in the far east being "reclaimed" in unsuitable conditions by poor workers whose health is adversely affected by the very metals and poisons that the British recycling policy is supposed to keep out of  the environment. Still, if it's not OUR children who are being poisoned, what the hell.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »
I have to say I am generally very impressed with the local refuse arrangements. However I'm disappointed in the size of the black un-recyclable waste bins considering the fortnightly collections. I own a house in Tameside where the black bins are twice the size yet even the most diligent waste sorters still find themselves having to ram down the contents to get stuff in towards the end of the two week period much to the annoyance of the bin men.

Neil Smith

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »
If you think about it on wasted council tax money, Why did the council pay for every household in Marple and Marple Bridge to have a letter sent to them with a collection calender then have a council worker walk round the same route as the post delivering information on what you can put in the bins?  ??? clearly someone within departments isn't communicating!

I bet its not different departments or even different rooms, in truly SMBC style I bet its 2 people sitting next to each other ;D ;D ;D

Jay

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
If you think about it on wasted council tax money, Why did the council pay for every household in Marple and Marple Bridge to have a letter sent to them with a collection calender then have a council worker walk round the same route as the post delivering information on what you can put in the bins?  ??? clearly someone within departments isn't communicating!

Cyberman

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »
To answer the original question, I e-mailed Stockport Council about this recently, asking whether I had to take the old bin to the tip or if they would collect it. Here is their answer...

"Both of the options that you stated are available, we will be collecting bins and to arrange this please call us on 0161 217 6111 but only after your new black bin has been delivered, alternatively you can dispose of the bin at the nearest tip."

So there you have it. Having driven past our nearest tip (Torkington Rd) on a recent Saturday and seen the mega queue of cars there, I'll be getting the council to collect.

amazon

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
I started this topic off as being a bit "tongue in cheek" asking how can I recycle my now, or soon to be redundant, dustbin. But it has got side tracked over price of wheelie bins. I am sure the council got the bins for the best price possible and I must admit before the bins arrived I thought I was pretty good at recycling. However I will be the first to admit since the bins came I now recycle more, especially cardboard and cans.

Good for forcing rubarb .the old bins .