All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Recycling Dustbins  (Read 13095 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Recycling Dustbins
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »
The bins are a nonsense costing around £80.00..........

Miss Marple - can I ask the question again - why do you think the bins cost £80 - do you know that for as fact or is it supposition? The article linked below suggests that 215,000 bins have cost £7M, which sounds a lot but is only £32 per bin. Do you have insider knowledge that shows this to be wrong?

http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/s/1121141_new_bins_are_rolling_out_across_borough
  I was informed that the green bins when first rolled out were nearly £80.00 each. Like Sooty 2 says they are purchased now in bulk so maybe cheaper   But lets not forget the blue,black and brown bins are half the size of the green bins so the same size bin in today's money would possibly be £64.00 + vat  :-\

Victor M

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 08:56:26 PM »
I started this topic off as being a bit "tongue in cheek" asking how can I recycle my now, or soon to be redundant, dustbin. But it has got side tracked over price of wheelie bins. I am sure the council got the bins for the best price possible and I must admit before the bins arrived I thought I was pretty good at recycling. However I will be the first to admit since the bins came I now recycle more, especially cardboard and cans.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »
I have just received a flyer from the council announcing the imminent delivery of my new Black Wheelie Bin. This will make my dustbin obsolete. Does anyone know how we can all recycle our old dustbins! Or do we all have troop down to Hazel Grove or Bedbury tip and put them in landfill?
I propose to drill holes in the bottom of my redundant bin and grow something in it.

Barbara

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »
Well at least the badgers won't be able to tear the bins open like they can the blue bags!   :D

sooty2

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 06:57:16 PM »
Yes recycling bins are a lot less expensive these days due to bulk buying as the whole country is swamped by these ugly garish things. Over 4 years ago the place I used to live was one of the first to have green garden bins and black cans/bottles containers. I was told then by a council employee that the garden bins cost nearly  £80. I was photographed by a photorapher putting tins into my container for the council newspaper,but when it went to print it showed a mother and child doing the same.Also some of the new bins are a lot smaller and should be less expensive. £Seven Million !!! just for Stockport, dread to think what the national figure is :(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 05:46:38 PM »
The bins are a nonsense costing around £80.00..........

Miss Marple - can I ask the question again - why do you think the bins cost £80 - do you know that for as fact or is it supposition? The article linked below suggests that 215,000 bins have cost £7M, which sounds a lot but is only £32 per bin. Do you have insider knowledge that shows this to be wrong?

http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/s/1121141_new_bins_are_rolling_out_across_borough
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

alison

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 11:55:28 AM »
Just ignore it, it might go away

;)

Barbara

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40:41 AM »
Thought that sticky topic would have to rear its ugly head!!  >:(

Tricky

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 09:58:03 AM »
haha - I think we all thought it Alison!

meh

alison

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 08:58:24 AM »
Just think Seventeen Windows

Oh good grief!  ::)

Miss Marple

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 11:00:37 PM »
Why do you think the council are paying £80 per wheelie bin Miss Marple?

I found them significantly cheaper (without even trying) via google.. 

and they will get them cheaper still by bulk buying..

I know you and I would but we are taking about the council  :P Just think Seventeen Windows  :o

Tricky

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
Why do you think the council are paying £80 per wheelie bin Miss Marple?

I found them significantly cheaper (without even trying) via google..

and they will get them cheaper still by bulk buying..

meh

Miss Marple

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
Hey fellow environmentalists ! How about one bin, one collection day and one sorting centre  ??? that's how its done in most countries  Now that's environmentally friendly isn't it  :-\ Who mentioned land fill ??

Neil Smith

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »
it is just a cost cutting exercise by the government
The bins are a nonsense costing around £80.00 each,which means I have the equivalent of £400.00 pounds worth of plastic in my garden alone x the country is one hell of a lot of money

Ok, Miss M, so which is it: a cost cutting exercise or an outrageous extravagance?   ;D

Its OK Dave some people must look forward to swimming in our own filth when land fill space runs out. ::)

Dave

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 08:29:46 PM »
it is just a cost cutting exercise by the government
The bins are a nonsense costing around £80.00 each,which means I have the equivalent of £400.00 pounds worth of plastic in my garden alone x the country is one hell of a lot of money

Ok, Miss M, so which is it: a cost cutting exercise or an outrageous extravagance?   ;D