Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Barclays Bank Marple Branch  (Read 18671 times)

Condate

Re: Barclays Bank Marple Branch
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2021, 04:44:13 PM »
Of course the main reasons for going to a branch is when you are dealing with a mortgage, or a loan or have some query about your account. The post office is no use for any of these. It has to be said that when I had a mortgage through Barclays, we had to go the Stockport branch anyway, so even when the Marple branch was open, it was inadequate and didn't really do its job.  The lack of a proper local branch has always been annoying. My previous Barclays branch was bigger, opened on Saturdays and had more facilities available, despite the population of the town being less than Marple.

amazon

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2021, 04:13:56 PM »
Petitions, consultations, surgeries, it's all talk but nothing seems to make any difference.
In the the case of a high street bank then they're answerable to their shareholders so the decision is ultimately financial but when it comes to consultations on local matters, the council should be answerable to their electorate. Sadly, it seems they're not and they'll just do what they fancy regardless.
I agree with you again on this .

GM

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »
I would love to disagree, but I can't.

If they can't, won't do something just don't have the gall to take my money and waste it.

The phrase don't pee in my pocket and tell me it's raining comes to mind.

jimblob

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2021, 02:28:03 PM »
I think we can safely assume nothing positive came from those discussion.
Petitions, consultations, surgeries, it's all talk but nothing seems to make any difference.
In the the case of a high street bank then they're answerable to their shareholders so the decision is ultimately financial but when it comes to consultations on local matters, the council should be answerable to their electorate. Sadly, it seems they're not and they'll just do what they fancy regardless.

GM

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2021, 02:25:53 PM »
Brings new meaning to your very own safe..space

wheels

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2021, 01:56:44 PM »
Well that's going to require a fair old turnover just to cover the rent never mind other expenses.

andrewbowden

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2021, 01:49:20 PM »
Only £33k a year if you'd like to rent a former bank branch.
https://mbre.space/property/10-the-hollins-marple/

GM

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
I think we can safely assume nothing positive came from those discussion.

I do have to wonder how the post office functions with the increase in cash and customers.

Do they receive a fee for the handling or is it just subsidised by the mail delivery side of the post office?.

I guess if that's true, atleast all the junk mail I throw away does atleast create some benefit.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2021, 11:55:36 AM »
Good morning. This is a reminder for those who would like involvement to sign the closure petition. I am waiting for a date from Barclays for a meeting regarding this, it should be next week. I have seen that William Wragg has now started a similar petition, for the greater good of our community I have contacted William and offered to work together on this.
Thank you.
Kind regards
Steve

I  don't know how your respective meetings went @Steve Gribbon and @William Wragg MP but the Marple Barclays Branch closes today.

However, I have received the following helpful press-release from The National Federation of SubPostmasters (NFSP):

Phone: 07766 524956 Email: ruth.buckley-salmon@nfsp.org.uk

Closure of local bank branch: Barclays bank, Marple branch

On 20 August 2021, Barclays bank, Marple branch, 10 The Hollins, Stockport Road, Marple, Stockport, Cheshire, SK6 6AZ is due to close. This will doubtless be disappointing to Barclays customers in Marple. However, alternative banking provision is available to local residents at post office branches nearby.

The nearest post offices to the closing Barclays bank, Marple branch are:

1. Marple PO
Unit 2 The Ridgedale Centre
Hollins Lane
Marple
Stockport
SK6 6AW

2. Marple Bridge PO
14-16 Town Street
Marple Bridge
Stockport
SK6 5AA

3. Compstall PO
229 Market Place
Compstall
Stockport
SK6 5HZ

Each of these branches offers banking services - including deposits, free cash withdrawals and balance checks, as well as offering face-to-face access to government services, bill payment, foreign currency, travel insurance and, of course, postal services. There are currently 2,000 free-to-use ATMs installed across the UK post office network also.

Post offices are proving vital to retaining people’s and business’s access to cash as the banks continue to desert the high street in order to cut costs and increase their profits.

Every post office plays a vital role within the heart of the local community. Post offices provide a reliable and essential service which has continued at a high standard across the whole of the UK throughout the pandemic.

For further information, please contact Ruth Buckley-Salmon on 07766 524956 or via email at ruth.buckley-salmon@nfsp.org.uk

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2021, 11:47:19 AM »
Good morning. This is a reminder for those who would like involvement to sign the closure petition. I am waiting for a date from Barclays for a meeting regarding this, it should be next week. I have seen that William Wragg has now started a similar petition, for the greater good of our community I have contacted William and offered to work together on this.
Thank you.
Kind regards   
Steve
Thanks steve

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
The direct link to @Steve Gribbon's petition is: https://www.petitions.net/barclays_bank_marple_branch_closure

Thank you.
Kind regards
Steve

GM

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2021, 07:51:36 AM »
Without this becoming a circular argument, you have three choices in the long term if you want to bank in person.

1. The Vernon
2. The post office
3. Set up your own bank or encourage one to open in Marple.

Of the three the Vernon would be the least likely to close a branch, but I suspect all banks are slowly moving away from direct customer contact as the post office does 90% of the cash handling for free.

amazon

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2021, 04:55:28 PM »
Nationwide have a Branch Promise where they're committing to not removing a branch from any town until at least January 2023 - already extended once from May 2021
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/why-choose-nationwide/branch-promise

So we'll have a branch for another 18 months at least.
But is that long enough 18 months is not long they need to commit longer .

andrewbowden

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2021, 02:16:15 PM »
and Nationwide are serving their customers well by no longer opening on a Saturday and early closing times.
Wont be long before that branch is closed.

Nationwide have a Branch Promise where they're committing to not removing a branch from any town until at least January 2023 - already extended once from May 2021
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/why-choose-nationwide/branch-promise

So we'll have a branch for another 18 months at least.

ROTHERS

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2021, 01:14:33 PM »
and Nationwide are serving their customers well by no longer opening on a Saturday and early closing times.
Wont be long before that branch is closed.