RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Barclays Bank Marple Branch  (Read 18658 times)

marpleexile

Re: Barclays Bank Marple Branch
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2021, 01:47:18 PM »
No wheels, that’s not quite right. I want residents to have the opportunity to oppose the closure of something and that is why I have created a petition. If a premises announces a closure the least I can do is allow residents the opportunity to put their views forward. Rather like you have done here. It may well be that people are fine with its closure but so far that doesn’t seem the case. As a resident I don’t like the thought of another facility being lost so I believe it is worth talking to Barclays about this which Barclays have agreed to.

Steve

Barclays is but one of what, 5/7 (?) major highstreet banks.

Barclays own figures show it's just not sensible to have high street branches dedicated to one bank. If only there was somewhere that could theoretically handle banking business for multiple banks.......

Personally I think we'd all be better served if any campaigning effort went into expanding the banking services that the post office counters currently offer to Bank customers rather than flogging the dead horse that is high street banking.

ROTHERS

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 12:50:31 PM »
"Not having a branch means a bank is useless" - hmm, First Direct do not have a branch, i have been with them for 2 years, excellent phone service and you can put cheques in via the App. I applied for a saving account online (took me 30minutes in branch at Nationwide a couple of years ago).
The traditional banks do not care if you leave, i left Lloyds after almost 30 years, not a single acknowledgment.
I place Banks in the same slot as Estate Agents and Travel agents having a branch, there is no business benefit whatsoever.

Steve Gribbon

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2021, 10:09:01 AM »
(Admin if you could help with a link please, thanks if you can).

The direct link to @Steve Gribbon's petition is: https://www.petitions.net/barclays_bank_marple_branch_closure
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 09:55:23 AM »
So have I got this right Steve, you want a building which to 95% of the town might as well be an empty unused unit to stay like that as people clearly don't in any meaningful numbers use the bank rather than have the potential of new business in there which might be more relevant to local people.

No wheels, that’s not quite right. I want residents to have the opportunity to oppose the closure of something and that is why I have created a petition. If a premises announces a closure the least I can do is allow residents the opportunity to put their views forward. Rather like you have done here. It may well be that people are fine with its closure but so far that doesn’t seem the case. As a resident I don’t like the thought of another facility being lost so I believe it is worth talking to Barclays about this which Barclays have agreed to.

Steve

wheels

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 09:30:32 AM »
Good morning. I have set up a petition for those who wish to oppose the proposed closure. It is on the website www.petitions.net under the heading Marple ‘Barclays Bank Marple Branch Closure’. (Admin if you could help with a link please, thanks if you can). Please feel free to sign and share. I will also be having a street stand for people who wish to sign a paper copy and will post a date for this ASAP.

Kind regards

Steve

So have I got this right Steve, you want a building which to 95% of the town might as well be an empty unused unit to stay like that as people clearly don't in any meaningful numbers use the bank rather than have the potential of new business in there which might be more relevant to local people.

wheels

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 09:12:13 AM »
I'd be willing to bet my mortgage that even if every customer who currently uses the Marple branch moved to a competitor, they'd still be saving a lot of money by closing it.

Correct Marpleexile there is absolutely no profit in retail banking and hasn't been for many years. For the very very few occasions people need a branch people are willing to travel.  As a society we had too many pubs and too many banks all we are seeing is an adjustment to take account of people's changing needs.

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »
That is very bad news indeed if it happens Steve, I hope you can get them to change their minds.

Friends of Marple Memorial Park have only moved to them in the last couple of years after the RBS closed and we are running out of options to bank locally.

Good morning. I have set up a petition for those who wish to oppose the proposed closure. It is on the website www.petitions.net under the heading Marple ‘Barclays Bank Marple Branch Closure’. (Admin if you could help with a link please, thanks if you can). Please feel free to sign and share. I will also be having a street stand for people who wish to sign a paper copy and will post a date for this ASAP.

Kind regards

Steve

marpleexile

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 06:52:35 AM »
It also means a great many people will leave and go somewhere that actually serves its customers, so it's not even saving them money; it's losing it.

I'd be willing to bet my mortgage that even if every customer who currently uses the Marple branch moved to a competitor, they'd still be saving a lot of money by closing it.

sgk

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2021, 07:27:49 PM »

Condate

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2021, 03:04:06 PM »
The vast majority never go to a bank branch nowadays.  There are very few if any services a branch provides that we can't access in an easier way. To the majority of people in Marple the Barclay unit might as well already be an empty unit as they don't go into it, let's hope something more useful goes there. It must be over 10 years since I went into a bank and I'm clearly not unique in that, that's why so many branches are closing.  Local traders I expect might find life a bit more difficult but for the rest of us it's an opportunity to have the unit put to better use.

For everyday banking, most people don't use the branch, but when you need something out of the ordinary, the branch is essential. Not having a branch means a bank is useless. It also means a great many people will leave and go somewhere that actually serves its customers, so it's not even saving them money; it's losing it.

wheels

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2021, 02:28:46 PM »
Maybe you dont want to use a bank and bank on the internet but there are people that dont have acces to the internet that need a Bank .Stop thinking of you .

Amazon you are wrong I'm not saying I don't want to use banks I'm saying society in general no longer use banks. Just like we no longer use video rental shops, or tv rental shops or have Gas Showrooms. Things change let's welcome change.

amazon

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 02:04:29 PM »
Amazon if it were either of those went into that unit and they were successful that would be because local people wanted that business there and we're using it instead of a bank which only a tiny handful would ever consider going into. It's closing because it's not profitable it's as simple as that and as we as a society have set our face against using banks it will go. Save the campaigning energy for things people care about.
Maybe you dont want to use a bank and bank on the internet but there are people that dont have acces to the internet that need a Bank .Stop thinking of you .

wheels

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 01:54:21 PM »
Amazon if it were either of those went into that unit and they were successful that would be because local people wanted that business there and we're using it instead of a bank which only a tiny handful would ever consider going into. It's closing because it's not profitable it's as simple as that and as we as a society have set our face against using banks it will go. Save the campaigning energy for things people care about.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 01:41:42 PM »
The vast majority never go to a bank branch nowadays.  There are very few if any services a branch provides that we can't access in an easier way. To the majority of people in Marple the Barclay unit might as well already be an empty unit as they don't go into it, let's hope something more useful goes there. It must be over 10 years since I went into a bank and I'm clearly not unique in that, that's why so many branches are closing.  Local traders I expect might find life a bit more difficult but for the rest of us it's an opportunity to have the unit put to better use.
Another takeaway or brew house most likely .