Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Rose Hill Recycle Centre to reopen 30 May 2020  (Read 7288 times)

jimblob

Re: Rose Hill Recycle Centre to reopen 30 May 2020
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »
The other thing I note is that you need proof of address.  Gas, electric, council tax bill. And NOT a driving licence.  Which will be a complete git for people like me who now get all their bills delivered electronically, if they don't have a printer.  My driving licence is the only thing physical that has my address on it, yet for some reason, that's not accepted. 

Thankfully I a) have a printer, and b) don't have any bagged waste I need to get rid of urgently.
It'll be Facial recongnition next!
I can see this whole thing turning into a complete fiasco, people kicking off at the front of the queue because they don't have the correct ID, horns blasting from those back in the queue, others taking every but of rubbish they want to get rid of but putting it in a bag to disguise it and hi-viz clad operatives trying their best to keep the peace who, to be honest aren't employed for their diplomacy skills.

andrewbowden

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 03:59:32 PM »
The other thing I note is that you need proof of address.  Gas, electric, council tax bill. And NOT a driving licence.  Which will be a complete git for people like me who now get all their bills delivered electronically, if they don't have a printer.  My driving licence is the only thing physical that has my address on it, yet for some reason, that's not accepted. 

Thankfully I a) have a printer, and b) don't have any bagged waste I need to get rid of urgently.

andrewbowden

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
The best way to avoid confusion is to prevent it happening in the first place.   Stockport could do with thinking a bit
about the clarity of their communications.  A few examples on the page - or directing people where to get examples - would work wonders.

THANKFULLY it turns out the Recycle for Greater Manchester website actually does this...
https://recycleforgreatermanchester.com/recycling-centres-tips-opening-times/

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2020, 03:35:47 PM »
Maybe we should be grateful that Rose Hill isn't opening!

Here is the latest update from GM Council via Stockport Council's FB page:

Recycle for Greater Manchester has announced this afternoon that Adswood and Bredbury Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) will reopen on Saturday, May 2 with strict measures in place.

Adswood HWRC, from 8am to 6pm, 7 days a week, and Bredbury HWRC, on Saturday and Sunday, 8am to 6pm.

Rosehill WHRC (Marple) remains closed.

Cars are permitted via a number plate rota. Even number plate vehicles only this Saturday, odds on Sunday. Further details regarding the rota can be found in the link below.

Residents will only be able to dispose of bagged general waste and will need to observe social distancing measures. Only one person in the vehicle can leave the car and dispose of their waste.

Only make the trip if it's vital. No pedestrian visits, you must be in a vehicle.

More details can be found at: https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/recycle-for-greater-manchester-reopens-two-of-stockports-household-waste

On Facebook some people seem to think that they can go on both days because they have an odd and an even number in their registration  ::) (so MM63 = even and odd  ;D )

The table below is confusing, why not stipulate even numbers on even dates and odd number on odd dates then at least people wouldn't have to check the table!

Chaos is predicted!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

jimblob

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2020, 02:18:37 PM »
Dave, why deny someone a good moan.
it's a forum wheels, what d'you expect!

jimblob

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
OK but that’s an entirely different matter - Rose Hill tip will certainly reopen in due course. If people who happen to live near it feel that it should be permanently relocated to somewhere else then that’s understandable, but it has nothing to do with the Corona virus.  And presumably the tip was already there when they chose to live nearby?
Yes the tip got there first, but the terms of the environmental assessment/noise survey used to get the planning application back in 2007/2008 are now no longer being adhered to. The estimated number of visitors is far in excess of that originally predicted both from a noise and a trafic perspective and the noise levels (surveyed recently in 2019) are actually far in excess of those estimated in the original noise impact assessment and therefore in breach of the terms of the planning application. The noise mitigation also failed miserbaly as it was only added to three of the four sides of the site. Those mitigation measures (bund walls), atually serve to act as trumpet and project the noise northwards along Railway Road. Add to that the number of HGVs emtpying the containers (including the one that nearly drove me off Railway Road a few months ago) and the noise/pollution/traffic impact of those and it's very clear the location is no longer suitable. The fact that now we're being forced to visit by car rather than to walk negates (to some extent at least) the need for this to be truly "local". I could go on, but am concious that this thread as you rightly point out is more specific to closures due to coronavirus rather than a flawed planning process and a wholly unimagintive Greater Manchester Combined Authority.

wheels

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 01:13:11 PM »
OK but that’s an entirely different matter - Rose Hill tip will certainly reopen in due course. If people who happen to live near it feel that it should be permanently relocated to somewhere else then that’s understandable, but it has nothing to do with the Corona virus.  And presumably the tip was already there when they chose to live nearby?

Dave, why deny someone a good moan.

Dave

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 12:41:54 PM »
Totally agree with this decision. Live near to Rose Hill recycling centre and the traffic/noise/risk/container pick-ups is a constant. It's quite simply not a suitable location for a recycling centre with so many visitors.

jimblob

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 10:29:33 AM »
Good news for some - but not for us, sadly. Although the fact that they are only accepting bagged up general waste (i.e. no garden waste, even though there are no green bin collections) makes it of limited use anyway.

And surely this.....
..... is a feeble excuse!  If Railway Road really isn't long enough, then there is the loop by Pearson's coal depot, and the empty station car park. Plenty of space for a depressingly long queue!   ::)
Totally agree with this decision. Live near to Rose Hill recycling centre and the traffic/noise/risk/container pick-ups is a constant. It's quite simply not a suitable location for a recycling centre with so many visitors.

Dave

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 11:01:02 AM »
I would have thought what they mean by lack of space and queueing was really about how tight it is in the area of the shoe and fabric bin once you enter the site.. There certainly isn't space to socially distance in that area and might cause problems . Equally I suppose they could always close that area.

As far as I know the area around the shoe and fabric bins and the places for electronic devices would be closed anyway - they are only planning to accept bagged up general waste. So social distancing should be easy - you drive up to the main dropping-off area, throw your bags over into the designated container, and off you go.

andrewbowden

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 10:50:30 PM »
What did we do before recycle centres ,

We went to the tip where it all went to landfill!

amazon

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 10:25:00 PM »
I would have thought what they mean by lack of space and queueing was really about how tight it is in the area of the shoe and fabric bin once you enter the site.. There certainly isn't space to socially distance in that area and might cause problems . Equally I suppose they could always close that area.

I am a little surprised at how exercised by it being closed people are. I think I probably go about three times a year. How much stuff do people have that needs taking that folks need to go so regularly.
What did we do before recycle centres ,

wheels

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:45 PM »

I am a little surprised at how exercised by it being closed people are. I think I probably go about three times a year. How much stuff do people have that needs taking that folks need to go so regularly.

andrewbowden

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 06:57:23 PM »
Mark, just do as my daughter did recently for a similar project. Hire a skip. They are still operating.

Yep.  My in-laws are busy filling one up at the moment!

Harry

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 06:54:13 PM »
It's certainly not about green waste for me, that's sorted now as far as I'm concerned.

However, I have a big DIY project to empty and take down a garage and a shed then rebuild them. I was planning to start it at the beginning of lock-down then they closed the tips. I then got my hopes up again recently when they said they were talking about reopening them. And now they've been dashed again if Rose Hill is not going to be opened.

Personally I agree with Dave that is shouldn't be a big problem with queues at Rose Hill (except perhaps when they first reopen).

It is really frustrating when you're locked down at home, you've got a great project you could be getting on with and you can't because of something like this. But hey ho, it's not life and death and we'll survive :)

Mark, just do as my daughter did recently for a similar project. Hire a skip. They are still operating.