A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Brabyns Brow Access Road to Park – Carriageway Resurfacing Works  (Read 3897 times)

CTCREP

Re: Brabyns Brow Access Road to Park – Carriageway Resurfacing Works
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »
It is not just my personal assessment, that of a cyclist with many years experience and on many miles of road cycling both in Britain and elsewhere, but also that of those trying to help combat the Climate Change problem.  I know of one lady who lives close to the Rollins Lane entrance who will suffer the rough surface of Rollins Lane during the summer to cycle to attend classes at the Pavilion, but as soon as it has rained then she will drive down to Marple Bridge and back up through the park rather than suffer the atrocious conditions of Rollins Lane and the path to the Pavilion.
Currently Stockport is likely to receive money from a Mayoral Fund to encourage cycling and walking. So Andrew you shouldn't have to put your hand in your pocket, you just need to support proposals that will increase cycling, and ideally in the Marple Romiley area.  So far there are none proposed for this area despite the Council knowing they have put on hold the completion of the Connect2 project to link Marple with Stockport via Chadkirk, and ignoring my frequent pleas to the Council to make Rollins Lane suitable for cycling.  If you don't support the Marple area then all the money will go elsewhere,  mostly on insignificant changes that will do nothing to make cycling a possibility.

Below are a couple of photos, one is typical of Rollins Lane for much of the year, and the other the work being done in the Mellor Strines area to resurface several sections of bridleway that few people use other than those who have chosen to live in remote areas.  There is probably about a mile in total of this surfacing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nbt

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 02:46:56 PM »
I'm usally at my desk before 08.30, and leave after 16.30, year round, so I'm definitely using Rollins Lane in the dark through December and January. I can show you the GPS logs of my journey. I often meet dog walkers on Rollins Lane, occasionally runners and other walkers, sometimes cyclists. I don't recall ever having seen a horse, though I have seen horse poo so I can believe it. when the mornings get lighter, I often stop on Iron bridge to watch the dippers and occasional kingfishers
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

amazon

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »
I do currently, I regularly commute to Hyde by bicycle via Rollins lane and School Lane (3 times so far this week) - but then I'm the odd one who believes in commuting by bike and train, rather than sitting in a car
when its dark .

andrewbowden

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
Well said NBT, and as one who has cycled from the suburbs to the centre of London, Birmingham and Manchester, I am well aware that those making decisions in Stockport have no idea how to cater for cyclists.  The attached letter will show where Stockport MBC's priorities are, and will clear up some misconceptions.

Or to put it another way, they don't agree with your personal assessment that it's a vital cycling corridor.  Personally I I have never seen a bike on Rollins Lane.  I have seen plenty of walkers and horse riders (and cars), and a council with limited money (thanks to cuts in government grants from Mr Wragg's party) has to prioritise. 

Still if you want to start fundraising, I'll put my hands in my pockets and contribute.

andrewbowden

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
there speaks someone who doesn't cycle very much. The "main road" through compstall is not nice to cycle along, it's much more pleasant to cycle when you are not constantly in fear of an inattentive driver accidentally clipping you and knocking you off. While there are undoubtedly good drivers on the roads, many do not realise just how intimidating it can be for cyclists to be passed at high speed and close proximity. We should be trying to encourage people to walk and cycle (and use public transport) more often and while there is a constant clamouring for roads to be improved, we're not going to get to thet state where @CTCREP's entirely reasonable suggestion should be considered - we should encourage people from Compstall to reach Marple and the railway station on foot, by bike or by public transport, NOT by spending money on other roads

Frankly I don't even like driving along the upper end of Compstall Road between the Spring Gardens and Windsor Castle.  Spacewise it's very tight.  I can't say I'd be keen to cycle on it at rush hour.

CTCREP

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 01:45:40 PM »
Well said NBT, and as one who has cycled from the suburbs to the centre of London, Birmingham and Manchester, I am well aware that those making decisions in Stockport have no idea how to cater for cyclists.  The attached letter will show where Stockport MBC's priorities are, and will clear up some misconceptions.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nbt

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »
I do currently, I regularly commute to Hyde by bicycle via Rollins lane and School Lane (3 times so far this week) - but then I'm the odd one who believes in commuting by bike and train, rather than sitting in a car

amazon

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 12:14:03 PM »
there speaks someone who doesn't cycle very much. The "main road" through compstall is not nice to cycle along, it's much more pleasant to cycle when you are not constantly in fear of an inattentive driver accidentally clipping you and knocking you off. While there are undoubtedly good drivers on the roads, many do not realise just how intimidating it can be for cyclists to be passed at high speed and close proximity. We should be trying to encourage people to walk and cycle (and use public transport) more often and while there is a constant clamouring for roads to be improved, we're not going to get to thet state where @CTCREP's entirely reasonable suggestion should be considered - we should encourage people from Compstall to reach Marple and the railway station on foot, by bike or by public transport, NOT by spending money on other roads
So would you use rollins lane at night or morning when dark .

nbt

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 10:18:51 AM »
there is a main road were people can  walk cycle .to compstall Marple

wheels

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »
Stockport MBC is well practised in coming up with excuses why they should not cater for many of their residents, it doesn’t need any assistance from others. So why Amazon are you so personally opposed to improving Stockport by continually disparaging a plea to have Rollins Lane properly surfaced so that people can walk or cycle between Compstall and Marple?

Why are you trying to ride roughshod over other people land. Has it occurred to you that the land owners of Rolling land don't want it surfaced.

amazon

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
Stockport MBC is well practised in coming up with excuses why they should not cater for many of their residents, it doesn’t need any assistance from others. So why Amazon are you so personally opposed to improving Stockport by continually disparaging a plea to have Rollins Lane properly surfaced so that people can walk or cycle between Compstall and Marple?
Because they will be spending money on a unadopted road that could be spent elswere thats more inportant .there is a main road were people can  walk cycle .to compstall Marple

CTCREP

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 04:43:15 PM »

amazon

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »
They aren't resurfacing the unadopted road. They are resurfacing the entrance road to the park / car park.

The road that CTREP is on about (bit of a hobby-horse as amazon points out) is the one between the Iron Bridge and Compstall known as Rollins Lane.
Thanks admin

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »
If it’s unadopted, why are the council spending our money on resurfacing it?
They aren't resurfacing the unadopted road. They are resurfacing the entrance road to the park / car park.

The road that CTREP is on about (bit of a hobby-horse as amazon points out) is the one between the Iron Bridge and Compstall known as Rollins Lane.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 04:53:28 PM »
If it’s unadopted, why are the council spending our money on resurfacing it?

The unadopted road is Rollins Lane which they're definitely not doing anything on.  Cos it's unadopted.