Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Primary Schools in Marple  (Read 941 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Primary Schools in Marple
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 04:38:19 PM »
I can't add much more to what Andrew has said but I can endorse it.

One of our grandchildren is at Rose Hill now (year 4) and loves it, the two others left last year and headed for Marple Hall. They both did well at Rose Hill too.

I would say it's a pretty good school.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

Re: Primary Schools in Marple
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 04:11:58 PM »
Hi Paul - my son's in year 2 in Rose Hill and hopefully my daughter will be next year.  Personally I have been extremely happy with the school.  The teachers my son has had have been brilliant, and he's doing really well there.  There's a good learning ethos, and I've seen none of that stressing about things like SATs that you sometimes get (I have a relative elsewhere in the UK who ended up moving their children from an "Outstanding" school because the school was stressing their children.) 

It's a modern school with good facilities, and although it's a bit larger than most primary schools, that also brings opportunities by having a wider range of staff with diverse skills. 

On the Ofsted rating, what they told us was that they were anticipating most of what Ofsted raised, and were already working on them.  If you look in the Ofsted report you'll notice Key Stage 2 comes in for more negative comment than Key Stage 1, and obviously I have no experience of that.  But the head teacher has been working to improve the school for a couple of years.  And hopefully the next Ofsted inspection in the next year or two will be much better.  Ofsted inspections do only tell you so much - they're a snapshot and I'm not always sure I trust them myself. 

Obviously later in the year there will be tours for prospective parents - I would say if anyone has concerns over the Ofsted report, to take the time to grill the head at Rose Hill on it and how they're progressing.  That'll help give you an answer.

When we did the tour, Rose Hill entrusted the Year 6 pupils to do tours with parents, rather than the head as other schools did (with the opportunity to talk to staff later.)  I hope they still do that because it was probably the most interesting tour we did!  The things children think are the most important are quite different.  We learned a lot about storage cupboards and photocopiers.  No head teacher will bother telling you about them! ;)  It was great to be able to grill the children on how they view school life.  Actually I think that was the moment that really sold Rose Hill to me, if all is said and done.

Nwra

Primary Schools in Marple
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 03:29:57 PM »
Hello parents

I've got a young daughter and we're beginning to start to think about primary school, ahead of her starting in 2021. I'm conscious of each school's OFSTED reports, but these are open to some criticism. Rose Hill is catagorised as "requires improvement" - but is that an accurate reflection? How happy are you with your child's primary school?

We've started to look a Rose Hill Primary, Torkington and All Saints CE in particular.

I appreciate your input!

Kind regards
Paul