Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: SEMMS refresh- petition to remove A6-M60 bypass from plans  (Read 8928 times)

CllrGeoffAbell

Re: SEMMS refresh- petition to remove A6-M60 bypass from plans
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
I totally agree with Andrewbowden. "It's about making public transport work so well that people want to leave their cars at home". I work every week in Aberdeen and don't use or need a car there because the public transport there is so much better than at home. The worst part of my commute is getting to and from Manchester Airport, despite living so close, it's over an hour via public transport! If I'm dropped off by car, getting to the motorway is usually solid traffic and then the airport has the audacity to now charge to get dropped off there! It's ironic that I spend less time in total weekly commuting to Aberdeen on a Monday, back on a Friday and to my office there each day than my wife who works only in Cheadle Hulme!
When I travel to the Netherlands on business, I'm ashamed to be from the UK. Their transport and road systems put us to shame. They build plenty of bypasses, but they include segregated cycle lanes with them (and boy do they get used!) and there isn't a pothole in sight! They have a fantastic city centre tram system and their rail services are second to none. They pay higher taxes but those taxes are spent wisely rather than being frittered away on useless projects or used to wrap the less assertive parts of society in cotton wool. Obesity seems almost non-existent there too. In fact I wonder why I'm sat here writing this; I'd be better planning my move to the Netherlands.

You are right @jimblob  - relatively cheap integrated transport is the key.  I was lucky enough to work in Amsterdam for a while before I was a cllr, and it was a good place to get around.  Many junctions automatically and easily deal with 4 modes of transport - vehicles, trams, cycles and walkers.  In fact, one of the problems is that there are so many cycles, they cannot be taken on commuter trains, unless folded.  It's not without problems - underground lines are hard to build and the one high-speed line's construction was fraught and late.  And taxes are relatively high.  But they renationalised the train system, and on a practical level, it got much better.
Whilst not cheap, London now use a tap-in/tap-out system that can be used with bank cards.  That's better than Manchester at present.

There is also Gtr Manchester's Beelines cycling scheme - https://www.tfgm.com/made-to-move/beelines

Out of this forum, I think we've talked lots about roads.  But I hope you'll use the new A555 in just over a week, before moving to the Netherlands.  Re that last bit - better get your skates on as it's looking as if it'll be hard to visit the EU, let alone move and work there, in 6 months time!

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2018, 10:06:34 PM »
Pretty much agree with everything that RSH has just said. Very well put.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

rsh

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
So I live in Marple near Rose Hill station and I'd like to go to Morrison's in Bredbury for my weekly shop. Whilst I'm over there I'll call at the new Screwfix and pick up some new guttering for my house renovations.

Simple option: get both delivered. Then it’s only another stop on two single vans probably passing through the area anyway.

It’s exactly these kinds of relatively pointless, very local journeys we need to reduce being done by car - people driving the school run over tiny distances, going all the way into Stockport for a single item, ferrying themselves around the local area in a space-hogging metal box for no good reason and thinking they’ve a god given right to do so at the expense of causing traffic jams and turning local neighbourhoods into noisy, unpleasant mini hell on earths.

It never ceases to amaze me people moaning about driving somewhere and getting stuck in traffic: YOU are the traffic! At the same time, they’re taking roadspace from people who might need to drive a journey that genuinely can’t be catered for by transport, home delivery or using your own legs.

However, I can sadly agree that the A6-M60 road is needed and has been for decades (in fact far more than the relatively pointless A6-MARR), mostly just to remove the hell trailing through all local neighbourhoods to the M60 from the south east. I feel for the Goyt Valley SOS campaigners but equally think it selfish to expect Bredbury and Overton should continue being decimated as places by this traffic. The absolute key issue will be making sure the new road is somehow not used as a wider through north east/south west route avoiding the whole southern belt of the M60. All the traffic light junctions on the A6MARR might help put people off, but it could still easily be standstill from day one.

Finally, it’s also pretty bloody obvious that what should be funded before anything else as part of this “refresh” are improved public transport options. A tram/train to Stockport AND onward west to Manchester Airport. More frequent, new, 21st century trains to Manchester with more carriages. A Greater Manchester Oyster ticket system that actually works. Better bus services WITH integrated tickets so you can use ONE ticket or pay one fair price for a journey no matter who’s running it. And simple, cheap single fares of just something like £1.50 like in London, not the absolute rip-off of double that price we pay. It’s no wonder why buses are actually seen as a real transport choice down there unlike our Stagecoach profits-creaming monopoly.

If the A6-M60 road plan has been neglected, heck our local public transport hasn’t been touched for DECADES. Maybe it’s time we actually tried sorting that out and see how much roadspace can suddenly be freed up. So do all that, and then maybe get back onto the roads.

Harry

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »
I'm not sure anyone particularly wants to go to Stockport!....  ;D

I'm sure that a lot of the traffic going to Stockport in the morning is going there to join the M60. Its just a route to avoid Bredbury.

Similarly for the return in the afternoon.

amazon

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »
Hi Amazon

I’m looking at everything, it’s only right I have a rounded view and knowledge on all the potential options available.

Kind regards

Steve
ok agree

jimblob

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
P.69 of the SEMMS refresh document mentions the High Lane bypass.

https://consultation.stockport.gov.uk/planning/semmms/supporting_documents/SEMMMS%20Report.pdf

Options for train links from Marple to Stockport are mentioned earlier in the document.

I'm not sure anyone particularly wants to go to Stockport!....  ;D

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »

Hi Amazon

I’m looking at everything, it’s only right I have a rounded view and knowledge on all the potential options available.

Kind regards

Steve

amazon

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
iF the A6-M60 bypass was built, the High Lane/Disley bypass would then have to follow.  With a High Lane/Disley bypass in situ, mass development in High Lane's Greenbelt will surely follow.  I suspect that this massive housing development is likely to mainly consist of executive detached houses and will do nothing to solve the housing crisis.  The High Lane bypass will quickly become full to capacity as the housing development becomes occupied. Huge areas of Greenbelt will have been destroyed for absolutely no good reason apart from to increase housing stock for people who already have housing options.
And if the houses are built before the bypass what then .

amazon

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 02:23:36 PM »
Good morning

Thanks for the reference on this point, I’m off to a TfGM meeting at the moment and will be raising this issue, I’m still pushing for a rail link to be correctly researched and will continue to do so. I like to thought of a spur on the Reddish line to go into Stockport, not just for us but for residents of New Mills and others along our present track.
I accept everyone has a different opinion about what is needed and respect all comments. Personally I feel not having a Stockport rail link is both unfair compared to many other small towns and not having this option has obvious negative effects on traffic volume and the environment.

Kind regards

Steve Steve you should be pushing for the bypass .

amazon

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »

Then you realise you forgot the gutter brackets !Brillant good humour on this website.

Newbie1

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
P.69 of the SEMMS refresh document mentions the High Lane bypass.

https://consultation.stockport.gov.uk/planning/semmms/supporting_documents/SEMMMS%20Report.pdf

Options for train links from Marple to Stockport are mentioned earlier in the document. 

Steve Gribbon

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
Good afternoon

I’ve just come out of the TfGM rail & metrolink (I’m on the committee for this group) meeting and I had a good discussion with a senior official for network rail. I’m pleased to say he has agreed to carry out a study into a potential heavy rail link into Stockport and we will be meeting to discuss further. These are very early steps into a process but the least I can do for us is see where this can go and whether something can be done.

As always I will update on here accordingly. Have a good weekend.

Kind regards

Steve

andrewbowden

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2018, 01:01:33 PM »
iF the A6-M60 bypass was built, the High Lane/Disley bypass would then have to follow.  With a High Lane/Disley bypass in situ, mass development in High Lane's Greenbelt will surely follow.  I suspect that this massive housing development is likely to mainly consist of executive detached houses and will do nothing to solve the housing crisis.  The High Lane bypass will quickly become full to capacity as the housing development becomes occupied. Huge areas of Greenbelt will have been destroyed for absolutely no good reason apart from to increase housing stock for people who already have housing options.

That's a lot of assumptions.  Indeed, assumptions laid upon assumptions.

Yes there is absolutely a problem with housing.  And it's another thing the government doesn't want to tackle because of fear of upsetting people who might see their home values fall.  But there's no way to know - other than to watch - what would actually happen if the A60-M60 bypass was built.  Nothing is guaranteed.   Hey, just look at the M67.  That was built as part of a big plan to run a motorway from the heart of Manchester to Sheffield.  Yet it's just a runt of a motorway running between Denton and Mottram.  Situations changed.  Plans were abandoned. 

Newbie1

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »

Tillyed1

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
" it's about making public transport work "

That's exactly the point , I don't use public transport that often but when I do  it always seems to be a bit of an ordeal and a disappointment.

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I decided to have Groupon 1 night Manchester city centre break, on getting to Marple station on the outward journey I by chance saw a small notice stating that due to industrial action the train services the following day would be limited. As it turned out rather than have the planned day in Manchester we had to leave the city  the next morning to get one of the few trains running. This train terminated at Rose Hill not Marple, hence we had to walk ( we just missed the bus )with a small suitcase from Rosehill to Marple station where our car was parked.

The train out was I'm sure a hand me down from another rail line with an approximate 18" step up to it from the platform to the train carriage entrance. The train back was grubby and stank of urine.

A bad experience all round and I wish I had taken my car and paid silly money for parking. It's made me think twice about my means of getting to town in future.