Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111156 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #258 on: August 16, 2020, 03:22:52 PM »
Going to make a prediction and leave it here.

Prediction: Life Leisure Marple will not reopen following Covid 19.

Logic: pool is closed.  Gym roof has issues.  Not enough space to keep people distant (short of putting all the gym equipment in the empty pool).  Building likely to not be financially viable.

Side note: So far none of Stockport owned leisure centres have reopened and so far no reopening date has been given.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2020, 06:11:17 AM »
What will happen to the bowling green and it's building when "they" start knocking 7 bells out of the memorial park? Ditto the war memorial?

I've moved your post here where it is more relevant.

Nothing will happen to the Bowling Green and its buildings or the war memorial if and when the new facility is built. The toilets are at risk though, of being replaced with something much better.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2020, 02:57:18 AM »
What will happen to the bowling green and it's building when "they" start knocking 7 bells out of the memorial park? Ditto the war memorial?

amazon

« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2020, 02:03:48 PM »
 Any news plans consultation about the Baths Marple .

andrewbowden

« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2020, 03:42:27 PM »
I know not everyone will be thinking of new leisure facilities right now, however the online consultation has been extended to 17 April so you can still have your say.

Not surprisingly the drop in session that was scheduled to happen tonight is no longer happening.

Online survey and information at
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/marple-leisure-and-community-hub-public-engagement-events-cancelled

wheels

« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2020, 03:29:42 PM »
Andrew I think we are generally in the same place although my experience tells me that Marple should be looking to a time scale of 4 to 5 years really a lot will depend on raising the capital and that means identifying realistic income streams. You make an excellent point about the Civic Society and other unaccountable self appointed groups.

andrewbowden

« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
The point I was making Andrew is that while the facilities are so poor at Romiley,  and I go to various classes, the gym and pool about four times a week,  it is important that there is greater urgency about moving the Marple facility forward. As a wrinkly I expect I will be dead before the facility is up and running.

I'm really not sure what your point is.  You say there are issues at Romiley.  There are.  I know it, you know it, the council know it.  But it's not like everyone is sat there doing nothing.  The roof has been fixed.  The work to sort out the flooding is being done now.  They have a refurbishment planned for this year.  It's all go.  If all goes well, the gym won't flood again and by this time next year Romiley should be looking amazing.  This is good!  The things you are rightly complaining about are being sorted out.  That's great!  So let's not worry about Romiley cos there should be nothing to worry about. 

Back to Marple, to be realistic, even if everything was done for Marple, it's not going to be built this year. It's a far bigger project.  Money to obtain, demolition, relocation of facilities temporarily, new buildings, the Civic Society being in uproar about something trivial, and so on.  It took Tameside about five years to build the new Denton pool.  And that was with a plan to replace the facility, a new location that was pretty much unused and empty, and an existing facility that could solider on for a bit longer.  And contractors.  Tameside have had a whole heap of problems with building an extension with a 25m pool in it at Hyde Leisure Pool due to issues finding someone to do the work.

Marple closed abruptly almost two years ago.  Frankly I don't expect us to see a new facility in Marple for another three.  I hope not but maybe four.  But at least for some of that time, we will be able to use a far nicer Romiley.

amazon

« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
The point I was making Andrew is that while the facilities are so poor at Romiley,  and I go to various classes, the gym and pool about four times a week,  it is important that there is greater urgency about moving the Marple facility forward. As a wrinkly I expect I will be dead before the facility is up and running.
That makes 2 of us ..

wheels

« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2020, 01:01:55 PM »

andrewbowden

« Reply #249 on: March 13, 2020, 12:47:29 PM »
Andrew yes I think we are all aware of these proposed changes but many have concerns about the state of the centre as of now. Plus if you use the centre regularly you will be aware that repairs to the roof were meant to take three weeks but in fact took nearly three months with areas of the gym often closed due to flooding.

I use the centre at Romiley at least once a week, and my children have lessons there.  We've all used it since Marple closed.  I was not aware of any concrete plans to actually do something until last week.  I suspect most users don't know about the plans

But yes I am aware of the roof.  Aware of the flooding.  Aware that the toilets are regularly broken in the ladies changing rooms.

But the roof work has now finished.  The work to prevent flooding in the gym started this week I believe.  Progress appears to be being made at getting things sorted.  And I am sure the council are well aware that there is no point doing major refurbishment if there are structural issues that need resolving.

Apropos to nothing but I have used every council pool in Stockport except Cheadle.  Romiley has probably the joint worst changing rooms with Avondale. 

wheels

« Reply #248 on: March 13, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »
Andrew yes I think we are all aware of these proposed changes but many have concerns about the state of the centre as of now. Plus if you use the centre regularly you will be aware that repairs to the roof were meant to take three weeks but in fact took nearly three months with areas of the gym often closed due to flooding.

andrewbowden

« Reply #247 on: March 13, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
but there is lack of urgency about the whole process which is made even worse by the dreadful state of the Life Leisure facilities in Romiley.

As it happens, there are plans for an upgrade of Romiley.  There's some limited information on the Life Leisure site.
https://www.lifeleisure.net/investment-work-springsummer-2020/

And there's also a planning application with relevant documentation including floor plans.
https://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData-live/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=details&keyVal=Q67EN8PJMTN00

But in summary - the pool changing rooms will be completely redone as a mixed changing village (as facilities built in the last 30 years have tended to be.)  The current gym and pool entrances will be closed and replaced by a single combined one, allowing you to move between all parts of the facility.  The car park will also be re-done.

wheels

« Reply #246 on: March 13, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »
I felt that at first but I think they are further along. I believe having done their studies they know what is feasible, but now they want to know what the community wants. They will then try to merge the two things and present us with one or two feasible options that satisfy what the community asks for. I wasn't sure at the start but following the session I think it's the right thing to do.

I understand that but I was waiting outside the library at 10 am with a large number of people who clearly were hoping to see more than was offered. Disappointment was being openly expressed that things were not further along and when asked about timescales there was a feeling in the room that many would not still be alive to see any opening. Now I understand that consultations such as this are a useful way of dealing with those who come along much later and start to complain about any development but there is lack of urgency about the whole process which is made even worse by the dreadful state of the Life Leisure facilities in Romiley.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #245 on: March 13, 2020, 10:52:32 AM »
Not big enough looking at that look at Dentons pool .stockport are scimping again .

How do you know how big it is going to be?

Also, here is Denton Pool crudely superimposed on the site of Marple Library and the back-end of Hollins House at the same scale. It's almost a perfect fit.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »
Not big enough looking at that look at Dentons pool .stockport are scimping again .

Not sure they're exactly comparable though.  Denton is a bigger town, and the Tameside Wellness Centre is right next to the motorway.  Nearby towns like Audenshaw and Gorton don't have any council leisure facilities (that I am aware of) and whilst Hyde has a gym, it doesn't have a proper pool (although that is planned.) 

Marple is smaller, there's facilities in Hazel Grove, New Mills, Romiley.  And we're right next to the countryside.  I suspect the potential customer base for Marple is smaller.

The other factor as well is that the Tameside Wellness Centre is now Tameside's flagship facility.  Stockport already has a flagship leisure facility at Grand Central.

Don't get me wrong.  I want us to have an excellent facility here.  I just am not sure it's right to compare what we may have with Denton.