A M Photo-Graphics

Linked Events

• Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 13, 2020
  • Marple Pool Have Your Say Online: March 18, 2020 - April 17, 2020
  • Marple Pool Drop-in Event: March 25, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: December 02, 2020 - December 31, 2020
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: January 01, 2021 - January 04, 2021
  • Display of Community Hub Proposals in Library: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Community Hub Online Consultation: September 04, 2023 - October 02, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 12, 2023
  • Marple Leisure and Community Hub Consultation: September 19, 2023

Author Topic: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed  (Read 111184 times)

andrewbowden

Re: Marple Swimming Pool currently closed
« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2020, 10:17:40 AM »
Last night's session took just over 2 hours but I asked about the Drop-In sessions and they are constructed differently, so that people can just drop-in and do it themselves at any time during the period. I think you will be fine with a hour to do it.

Thanks - that's helpful! 

amazon

« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2020, 10:10:57 AM »
I felt that at first but I think they are further along. I believe having done their studies they know what is feasible, but now they want to know what the community wants. They will then try to merge the two things and present us with one or two feasible options that satisfy what the community asks for. I wasn't sure at the start but following the session I think it's the right thing to do.
Not big enough looking at that look at Dentons pool .stockport are scimping again .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2020, 09:52:20 AM »
That's a little disappointing that things are not further along.

I felt that at first but I think they are further along. I believe having done their studies they know what is feasible, but now they want to know what the community wants. They will then try to merge the two things and present us with one or two feasible options that satisfy what the community asks for. I wasn't sure at the start but following the session I think it's the right thing to do.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »
Interesting stuff.  How long did it take?  I ask as I was planning on going to the Wednesday evening session will only have an hour.

Last night's session took just over 2 hours but I asked about the Drop-In sessions and they are constructed differently, so that people can just drop-in and do it themselves at any time during the period. I think you will be fine with a hour to do it.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wheels

« Reply #239 on: March 13, 2020, 08:37:56 AM »
That's a little disappointing that things are not further along.

andrewbowden

« Reply #238 on: March 13, 2020, 08:11:18 AM »
Interesting stuff.  How long did it take?  I ask as I was planning on going to the Wednesday evening session will only have an hour.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2020, 07:23:19 AM »
It's time for Marple to engage with Stockport Council on New Community Hub!

Last night (12 March) members of Friends of Marple Memorial Park, Marple Civic Society, Marple Neighbourhood Plan and the Scouts attended a “Marple Pool Visioning Session” for groups with links to Memorial Park to contribute our ideas and have our say on how this project should be shaped.

It's now time for the whole community to do the same:

Read more on the main site: https://www.marple.website/community-projects/marple-community-hub.html

Today's Drop In Sessions are in Marple Library 10am to 12noon and 1pm to 3pm

Our feedback from last night: THINK BIG!

The event wasn't what we were expecting – we thought we'd be shown a range of plans and asked to comment / give our ideas and say which designs we liked best. It wasn't like that at all. Don't expect to see any plans just yet. Instead, this is an opportunity to shape the project objectives and brief by telling the Council what you want from a new Community Hub in the centre of Marple.

This is an amazing opportunity and we would urge everyone to think BIG and embrace the idea of new Marple Leisure and Community Facilities in the centre of Marple that could potentially replace not only the library and the swimming pool but also most, if not all, of the tired and dilapidated buildings in Memorial Park. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and we must get it right!

We've urged the council to contact Marple Hall School so that they can engage with younger people.

We need a new outdoor play area too!

As Friends of the Park, we would also urge you to suggest that with a new Community Hub in the park our existing Infants and Junior Play Areas would be far too small. They are already full to overflowing on better days and we have plans to expand and improve them that we would love to tackle in partnership with the council and this project.

In our view it's also essential that we have new public toilets accessible to park users.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

andrewbowden

« Reply #236 on: March 12, 2020, 10:42:48 PM »
Got an email tonight

Stockport Council is holding public engagement events to help shape proposals for a new Leisure and Community Hub in Marple. The aim is to provide a permanent replacement for Marple Pool, which has been closed since March 2013, and would incorporate a range of other fit-for-purpose leisure and community facilities for local residents.

We are aware that the condition of the current gym facility is not good – the roof needs completely replacing.  We have investigated temporary repairs and these are not possible.  Given the work to develop to permanent replacement facility, there are no plans to replace the roof at this stage.  Instead, Life Leisure and the Council have been looking at options for a creating a temporary gym facility in Marple. We will provide more details shortly.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and would encourage members to take part in the public engagement events on Friday 13 March: 10:00-12:00/13:00-15:00 and Wednesday 25 March: 15:00-17:00/18:00-20:00 at Marple Library or online between 13th and 27th March 2020.

I am intrigued as to where they may put a temporary gym.

amazon

« Reply #235 on: March 06, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
One nugget that I noted...

I've no idea about the current state of play in this area, but Life Leisure have cut a few things over recent years and that's impacted opening hours.  Stockport also has some of the more expensive costs for council leisure centres as well.  So I'm interested to see what they're thinking for helping Marple run a surplus.  Do they think it can be done off "traditional" leisure facilities alone, or are they considering other options?

For example, one of the things Tameside have done is invest a lot in things like climbing walls, trampolines, laser combat games etc.  The new pool in Denton has a bowling alley and soft play. I presume that's an attempt to make sure leisure facilities use less subsidy, and from what I've seen, the facilities are often well used.

Equally, Tameside converted the old Dukinfield pool to be a 24/7 gym.  I don't know how much pent up demand there would be for such a facility in Marple, but these places are often very busy at unexpected hours.

We'll find out.  But I'd be surprised if - at very least - the plans don't involve a sauna and steam room somewhere as they seem to be standard in most new build facilities these days!
The funding gap bit i dont like any one no who funded tameside and denton .

andrewbowden

« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
One nugget that I noted...

"A council report on this and the authority’s search for a new leisure partner from April 2022 says the scheme is dependent on the future operator being able to run a surplus through its management of the facility."

I've no idea about the current state of play in this area, but Life Leisure have cut a few things over recent years and that's impacted opening hours.  Stockport also has some of the more expensive costs for council leisure centres as well.  So I'm interested to see what they're thinking for helping Marple run a surplus.  Do they think it can be done off "traditional" leisure facilities alone, or are they considering other options?

For example, one of the things Tameside have done is invest a lot in things like climbing walls, trampolines, laser combat games etc.  The new pool in Denton has a bowling alley and soft play. I presume that's an attempt to make sure leisure facilities use less subsidy, and from what I've seen, the facilities are often well used.

Equally, Tameside converted the old Dukinfield pool to be a 24/7 gym.  I don't know how much pent up demand there would be for such a facility in Marple, but these places are often very busy at unexpected hours.

We'll find out.  But I'd be surprised if - at very least - the plans don't involve a sauna and steam room somewhere as they seem to be standard in most new build facilities these days!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #233 on: March 06, 2020, 10:43:46 AM »
What seems to me a rather premature headline from the MEN published yesterday:

Town to get 'all singing, all dancing' community hub and swimming pool after losing its baths

Of course the article itself doesn't tell us anything much we don't know. Let's hope they're right!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »
**UPDATE ON MARPLE POOL**

News Release from Stockport Council (For immediate release)

Stockport Council will be holding a series of public engagement events to help shape proposals for a new Leisure and Community Hub in Marple.

The sessions will be an opportunity to speak to the appointed architects and project team, ask any questions and put forward suggestions to inform the development of concept designs.

Your input is important in shaping proposals and designs and we’re really interested in hearing views on the current facilities and site, what you would like to see in a new hub and how it should look. At the sessions, the architects will undertake a series of interactive exercises to ensure they get the most out of your ideas and feedback.

Drop-in events will take place at Marple Library on the following dates:

Friday 13 March: 10:00-12:00/13:00-15:00

Wednesday 25 March: 15:00-17:00/18:00-20:00

Cllr Sheila Bailey, Cabinet Member for Sustainable Stockport, said: “We know that the future of leisure provision in Marple is really important to local residents and we want to make sure they have an opportunity to shape the designs our architects develop. We are really keen on hearing your views and I would encourage people to attend the sessions.”

If you are unable to attend the drop-in sessions, there will also be the opportunity to give your views online via the www.stockport.gov.uk/haveyoursay from Friday 13 March until Friday 27 March.

The designs developed through this process will be used to develop a detailed business case for a new facility and prepare full plans, which the public will have an opportunity to comment on at a later date.

Any questions in the meantime can be directed to: marplepoolproject@stockport.gov.uk

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2020, 08:51:40 PM »
Any more info re baths Marple there was suposed to be a document out for consultation end of this month feb .were is the info on life leusure  web site .

I understand there will be more details published at the end of this week or early next.

The Marple Website has offered to help publicise the consultations and get the details out to as many people as possible.

So watch this space.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #230 on: February 25, 2020, 08:23:24 PM »
Any more info re baths Marple there was suposed to be a document out for consultation end of this month feb .were is the info on life leusure  web site .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2019, 06:15:34 AM »
A new statement was published on Marple Pool yesterday:

Marple Pool Project: Update 20 December 2019

Work on developing options for a potential leisure and community hub for Marple has taken a further step forward. The pool at the current leisure centre has been closed since March 2018 after problems with the pool fabric and filtration systems meant that it was no longer safe to use. Surveys indicated that the site required investment of £2.7m to address a series of urgent and priority condition issues.

After consultation with local Councillors, a decision was made not to seek the investment required immediately whilst the Council looked into whether it would be more cost effective in the long term to provide a replacement facility.

Initial feasibility work was undertaken to develop options for providing a modern, fit for purpose, leisure facility with pool in Marple. This work considered:

• Potential sites for a new facility
• The range of facilities which might be incorporated
• The scope for incorporating a range of additional community facilities with the leisure offer
• Funding options for a new facility

Following this initial phase and in consultation with local Councillors, a detailed design phase was commissioned based on a location around the site of Marple Library on the edge of Marple Memorial Park. This work was completed in late November 2019.

More work is required to see how a potential new facility might be funded, but this can progress whilst further discussions take place. The next phase will be a programme of more detailed engagement with local organisations who could be directly affected by, or involved with, the scheme. This will enable us to finalise a shortlist of options. We will also be talking to local groups who might be indirectly affected by the development of a new facility. This work will take place in January and February 2020. A further update will be issued once this work is completed.

Following this and, subject to ongoing discussions around funding the scheme, we intend to carry out a programme of wider public engagement with local residents in February and March 2020.

In the meantime, any queries can be directed to marplepoolproject@stockport.gov.uk

https://www.lifeleisure.net/our-centres/marple/

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website