Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: EU Referendum  (Read 91060 times)

Howard

Re: EU Referendum
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
These were the splits by age:
18-24: 75% Remain
25-49: 56% Remain
50-64: 44% Remain
65+: 39% Remain

Essentially London, Scotland, Nothern Ireland, Liverpool and bits of Manchester voted in. The rest voted out. It's not really a surpirise that the regions that voted leave had heavy industries (coal, steel, shipbuilding) which have been decimated over 30 years and more or less ignotred by successive Westminster-focused governments. I don't really see this as an anti-EU vote, more an anti-elite protest vote by a segment of the population which feels they have been kicked from pillar to post. I really don't buy the anti-democratic piece of the protest, it's more the longing and nostalgia for a country that doesn't exist any more and won't exist again in such a globalised economy by a segment of the population who won't have to deal with most of the fallout of the decision. I feel sorry for our youngsters.

Dave

« Reply #198 on: June 24, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
A moment of madness which in years to come we will bitterly regret.

Stockport  voted Remain, Manchester voted Remain, London and Scotland voted Remain, but we are being dragged out of the EU by a vote of just 51.9% of the population, with who-knows-what consequences. 

Condate

« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2016, 08:19:22 AM »
As for the campaign, I agree it's been disappointingly negative. 

But one can hardly argue there have been many "positive" campaigns in British politics. The Press and the system being the way it is just won't allow for sensible discussion.

While I like the result, I agree that the campaigns have not indulged in sensible discussion and I have to agree that one can hardly argue there have been many "positive" campaigns in British politics. I don't know what the answer is though.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2016, 06:52:09 AM »
Looks like the bookies were wrong again, as in last year's election. My heart bleeds for them.

As for the campaign, I agree it's been disappointingly negative. 

But one can hardly argue there have been many "positive" campaigns in British politics. The Press and the system being the way it is just won't allow for sensible discussion.

Howard

« Reply #195 on: June 23, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »
Odds are shifting at the bookies for Remain. As of 14:20 on polling day Ladbrookes are showing the chances at 14% leave, 86% remain. The odds they are offering ar 6/1 leave and 1/10 remain.

Dave

« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »
This whole campaign has been shameful and embarrassing.

It has - to some extent on both sides, although the Leave side has come up with the most outrageous lines, such as Michael Gove's 'experts are like Nazis', not to mention '70 million Turks are on their way', 'Vote Leave and save the NHS' (ha ha), and of course the lie to end all lies, 'EU membership costs the UK £350 million a week'.

Such people are not trustworthy, and are certainly not fit to hold public office. 

I'd say thank God it's over, but I've got a horrible feeling that it isn't! Whichever way it goes today, it will be close, so I can't see the losing side conceding defeat gracefully. 

Hoffnung

« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2016, 11:50:33 AM »
That's just it though Geoff, it is exactly that, 'The school playground,' it has been made into that by 'our senior' politicians on both sides.

It certainly doesn't give anybody much confidence about what happens afterwards, whatever the outcome, they'll be squabbling for years . This whole campaign has been shameful and embarrassing.

I expect the outcome to be remain.

Howard

« Reply #192 on: June 23, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »
The bookies are definitely backing remain. Last I checked at Ladbrokes they had 3/1 for Leave and 1/4 for Remain. Paddy Power have Remain at 1.22 and Exit at 4.20.

Here are Ladbroke's live odds: http://sports.ladbrokes.com/sports-central/uk-eu-referendum/

You don't often see the bookies getting it wrong.

moorendman

« Reply #191 on: June 23, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »
I believe Remain will win by 4 percentage points. I have changed my mind in the last few days :

https://mellorview.wordpress.com/

Dave

« Reply #190 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:43 AM »
I would hope that voters will look at the bigger picture; the future of Europe. This is only partly about the UK. The question is about do we want a peaceful, secure and prosperous Europe.

Agreed.  Trouble is, for me (and I hope, most people) that leads to precisely the opposite conclusion!

We'll know soon enough.  A great deal hangs on this - as so many pundits have pointed out, this is not like an election, where if you don't like the crowd you've elected you can throw them out in five years time.   This is for ever - once we leave, there will be no way back! 

The bookies are still backing Remain - let's hope they are right! 

Condate

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
This referendum has been dominated by negative conjecture, false statistics and opinion.

True; from both sides.  However, I rather hope most voters take no notice of the rubbish coming from the remain campaign, or I regret to say the rubbish coming from the leave campaign.  I would hope that voters will look at the bigger picture; the future of Europe. This is only partly about the UK. The question is about do we want a peaceful, secure and prosperous Europe, or do we want the EU. I don't believe we can have both.

In effect, many on both sides want to achieve similar things. Where the disagreement comes is whether the EU is capable of delivering it. It's a pity the two campaigns never really addressed the real issues of their alternative futures for Europe as a whole.

hatter76

« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
Being reported tonight that the EU commission has said no to any further negotiations if Britain votes to remain. Sums it up really.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2016, 09:34:47 PM »

Come on people, why take this crazy risk for our security and economy and our children's futures by voting remain?

The remain camp want to appeal to the credulous brain by pretending that wanting to leave is about immigration scare-stories. Don't let them have their way.

Vote Leave tomorrow, for Britain's and for the whole of Europe's future.

What is this - the school playground?

This referendum has been dominated by negative conjecture, false statistics and opinion.

But the Leave leaflet flooding Marple, along with the television political broadcast, takes the biscuit.  They lie.

Lie number 1.

Britain pays £350 million per week into the EU.  False.

There is a rebate (apart from the funding for regional development and various subsidies).  It’s like someone saying “I have a discount on my council tax because I live alone, but I still pay the full council tax”.

The real figure is about £153 million.  Still something, but dwarfed by spending on defence, which is about 8 times as much.

Lie number 2.

Turkey will join the EU by 2020.  Wrong.

Although Turkey applied in 2005, they still need to get their economics and human rights in order.  Even then, each of the 28 states has a veto, including Germany, Cyprus and Greece, none of whom want Turkey to join.  It’s stalled.

But actually @tigerman summed it up better!

Condate

« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
Come on people, why take this crazy risk for our security and economy and our children's futures by voting out?

Come on people, why take this crazy risk for our security and economy and our children's futures by voting remain?

The Brexit camp want to appeal to our reptilian brain with their immigration scare-stories. Don't let them have their way.

The remain camp want to appeal to the credulous brain by pretending that wanting to leave is about immigration scare-stories. Don't let them have their way.

Vote REMAIN tomorrow.

Vote Leave tomorrow, for Britain's and for the whole of Europe's future.

tigerman

« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2016, 07:19:06 PM »
Come on people, why take this crazy risk for our security and economy and our children's futures by voting out?

The Brexit camp want to appeal to our reptilian brain with their immigration scare-stories. Don't let them have their way.

Vote REMAIN tomorrow.