Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Boris, Dave, and now Nick  (Read 20576 times)

tigerman

Re: Boris, Dave, and now Nick
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »
In addition:
" George Osborne has added more to the public debt in 5 years than the previous government did in 13."
Daily Telegraph 26 March 2015

Melancholyflower

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
Well, in my younger days I was a staunch FPTP supporter wheels, but having seen decades of majority governments and the botches that have occurred, I'm increasingly convinced that consensual government is more appropriate in the long term. It certainly cannot be any less effective.

wheels

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »
Whilst I might agree with you regarding PR Melancholy. A result of PR this that we would thankfully almost certainly confine single party government to the outer depths forever that we might have a more representative government. If a single party did win a majority on the 7th it would be with only about 34% of the vote representing lest than 25% of the electorate. The Tories and Labour Party will however continue to scupper PR just as they both do an elected 2nd chamber.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
We have indeed, but of significance is that it was a result of the coalition deal, wasn't for PR,  :(and the Tories knew they could hijack the real debate and focus on the negative campaign.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
Was I asleep or have we just had a referendum on electoral reform?

Melancholyflower

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »
In 45 years of voting, I can't recall a more unpredictable or fascinating general election.  And the panic among the parties (notably the Tories) is palpable. 

Interesting that the predictions are for another hung parliament. I think that if this does indeed occur, it will prove once and for all that our electoral system is in need of an overhaul. If you can't form a majority with an unfair and loaded system, it makes no difference if we have genuine coalitions under a PR system where everyone's vote counts.

I find it disappointing, though all too predictable, that the Lib Dems campaign appears to be centred on votes for ukip and labour being wasted. 

One thing is clear at least - don't vote Tory if you want electoral reforrm.

Dave

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 07:45:35 AM »
Isn't it interesting, how BG is desperately trying to change the subject.  I wonder why........

We can have a debate about immigration some time, but right now, the discussion is about the competence of the coalition government, triggered by Henry's assertion yesterday that
this has been an excellent government

The point I am trying to make is not about policies, with which one may agree or disagree, but about major promises which they have failed to keep.  In other words, it's about competence. 

Bowden Guy

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 07:02:15 PM »
So, you're quite happy for net migration, currently running at hundreds of thousands per annum, to continue indefinitely?

Dave

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »
I never said I felt 'let down', and that is not the point, as I suspect Bowden Guy knows very well. 

The point is that it was a ridiculous promise.  As long as we are in the EU, it was always going to be undeliverable.  Cameron either knew that (in which case he was lying), or he didn't (in which case he was incompetent). Either way, it raises a big question over his fitness to continue in office. 

Bowden Guy

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 05:28:46 PM »
Interesting, Dave, that you feel let down by the fact that the Coalition government did not bring net migration down to the tens of thousands.

Dave

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
The fastest growing economy in the EEC

So it should be, bouncing back after Osborne caused  the two years of UK stagnation in 2010 - 12. 

2 million more in employment 

Mostly part-time and minimum wage jobs, which have to be topped up from taxpayers' money.   

Explosion of apprenticeships...... More from poorer backgrounds going to university.... Equal Marriage..... From the Lib Dem side... The snoopers charter stopped

I'll grant wheels those, but it's revealing that he doesn't attempt to deal with these three major Coalition broken promises:
1.  No top-down reorganisation of the NHS......
2.  We will eliminate the budget deficit within the lifetime of this parliament......
3.  No ifs, no buts, net immigration down to the 10s of thousands......

Is it any wonder that the electorate is cynical? 

wheels

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
Also when we vote we are electing a local member not a Government. Has Stuunell service HG well/ And is there anything that would make you believe he's successor won't and is certainly more likely to than a Tory who is short of life experience and who was unwilling to speak up in Council for his electors?

wheels

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
2.  We will eliminate the budget deficit within the lifetime of this parliament......

If that's excellent, what does failure look like?   ::)

The fastest growing economy in the EEC

2 million more in employment

Explosion of apprenticeships

More from poorer backgrounds going to university

Equal Marriage

From the Lib Dem side... The snoopers charter stopped

Dave

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »

If that's excellent, what does failure look like?   ::)

Henry_

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »
Clegg has surprised me as to quite how good he's been in Government, I hope he gets another 5 years with the Lib Dem / Conservative coalition.

Agree, this has been an excellent government