Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Boris, Dave, and now Nick  (Read 20575 times)

Melancholyflower

Re: Boris, Dave, and now Nick
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
I hope you're right Condate.

Arguments for both sides. The whips are certainly a big negative in parliament, and the whole committee system could do with a revamp so that all sides can have a say in how policy is enacted. At the moment it's a joke.

wheels

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »
I am very much in favour of removing party names from ballot papers. We do not and should not be voting for a party.

It's really not for you to be telling me or the millions of others who think differently on what basis we should be voting. You should just accept we have different views. Mine is that we should be voting for the party not the individual yours is different. I would not  presume  to tell you on what basis you should vote. Just accept people approach this matter differently.

Condate

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
I am very much in favour of removing party names from ballot papers. We do not and should not be voting for a party. We vote for and should vote for a man or woman to represent us. He or she may be a member of a political party, but it is the person we vote for. Once elected, that person is simply a member of parliament. There is no such thing strictly speaking as a Conservative MP, or a Labour MP, or a Lib Dem MP for example; they are just MPs. It is true that all too often the MPs vote as the whips decide, but that is a defect of the system that ought to be reformed.

wheels

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
But I don't want an individual who gains less than 50% representing the majority. I don't wan't someone who can't speak for the community as the majority did not vote for them.

Most of us vote for the party not the individual and long may it be so.

Condate

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2015, 12:54:01 PM »
Mflower. I disagree to campaign on it now looks like self interest better to let the FPTP system discredit itself and allow people to reach the obvious decision that it has to be replaced.

Replaced by what? It won't be democracy, which can only be retained with a system where local communities elect an individual (not a party) to represent them in parliament and the current system does just that very well (or could do if people stopped voting based on party labels).

wheels

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »
Defenders would say it's making best use of the system they've got, buts still disappointing. I feel Lib Dems have really missed a trick in not campaigning on PR as it's increasingly a vote winner.

Mflower. I disagree to campaign on it now looks like self interest better to let the FPTP system discredit itself and allow people to reach the obvious decision that it has to be replaced.

Condate

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
I feel Lib Dems have really missed a trick in not campaigning on PR as it's increasingly a vote winner.

Since PR means the end of democracy, I'm glad it's not an election issue and I hope never it comes about.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
Defenders would say it's making best use of the system they've got, buts still disappointing. I feel Lib Dems have really missed a trick in not campaigning on PR as it's increasingly a vote winner.

Condate

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »
Sadly the Lib Dem campaign is no less negative  - I.e. vote lib dem because Labour can't win here.

I bet they don't use that "Can't win here" message in constituencies where they were third or fourth last time!

JMC

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
Sadly the Lib Dem campaign is no less negative  - I.e. vote lib dem because Labour can't win here.

Real positive politics. No wonder there is so much apathy.

Totally agree.

I think Labour, UKIP and Green will get many more votes this year.

Melancholyflower

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 10:20:33 PM »
Yep, the Tories are throwing the kitchen sink at Hazel Grove! 

I've got a postal vote and I've already voted, but Mrs Dave is still trying to make her mind up. Or at least, she was until this morning, when she received a 'personal' letter from David Cameron.  It informed her that 'if you vote Liberal Democrat in Hazel Grove you are likely to get Ed Miliband as your Prime Minister

Real positive politics. No wonder there is so much apathy.

tigerman

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 07:13:54 PM »
Not sure that it is a good idea for the Ringers to show such political partisanship. May alienate some of its customers! 

Dave

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 04:08:32 PM »
Yep, the Tories are throwing the kitchen sink at Hazel Grove! 

I've got a postal vote and I've already voted, but Mrs Dave is still trying to make her mind up. Or at least, she was until this morning, when she received a 'personal' letter from David Cameron.  It informed her that 'if you vote Liberal Democrat in Hazel Grove you are likely to get Ed Miliband as your Prime Minister'.

'Ooh good', she said, 'so that settles it'.   :D

Seriously though, I think the letter is just plain wrong.  A Tory/Lib Dem coalition is surely more likely than a Labour/ Lib Dem coalition.  The bookies certainly think so, with typical odds on the former at 7/2, and the latter 8/1.  See http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/next-government

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Boris, Dave, Nick and now George!
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »
Look who was in the Ring o' Bells with William Wragg today!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Condate

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 06:53:37 PM »
One thing is clear at least - don't vote Tory if you want electoral reforrm.

Well, since I don't want electoral reform, or at least not a change in the voting system, that suggests I should vote Conservative! In fact I won't be voting for any of the parties, although I will vote for a candidate. Any other system than the present one would mean an end to democracy in any meaningful sense. One reform which would be useful would be to reduce the size of constituencies, even though this would mean more MPs.