Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238384 times)

corium

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #569 on: April 18, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »
No, but neither is it their responsibility to go out of their way to deliberately try to see off other businesses.

As I've said elsewhere there is plenty of evidence that ASDA is unscrupulous in their dealings with staff, suppliers and neighbours of their stores.

I know the terms and conditions have changed e.g.  undertsand all staff must do some weekend work but the basic rate paid, I understand from a conversation I had yesterday, is higher than under the Coop regime. Might not be a lot but the staff member concerned appreciated it.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #568 on: April 18, 2015, 12:44:41 AM »
No, but neither is it their responsibility to go out of their way to deliberately try to see off other businesses.

As I've said elsewhere there is plenty of evidence that ASDA is unscrupulous in their dealings with staff, suppliers and neighbours of their stores.

wheels

« Reply #567 on: April 17, 2015, 11:43:29 PM »
This is my concern.

The whole store and car park is not in anyway letting people see that there are amazing local shops around the corner (of course asda doesn't want anyone to shop anywhere else). E.g. The asda signs on Hollins Lane completely hide the fact that there is a local bakery opposite (Archers) from view of customers parking their cars.
When I visit towns and villages around our country I always scan around for the local shops too, if I'm visiting a supermarket.
In Glossop Marks and Spencer have a carpark with a footpath leading to the local shops. There is no signage to let people know there are alternative shops around.

Is it ASDAs responsibility to promote other shops in the suburb or is it the traders responsibility to seek to promote themselves?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #566 on: April 17, 2015, 11:08:12 PM »
Very pleased to see that the Asda sign on the steps up to the park entrance has been removed again some time today.

I hope it's Asda themselves who have done it this time and not vandals.

There are now 7 objections to the planning application for Asda's signage on the Planning Portal:

http://planning.stockport.gov.uk/PlanningData/AcolNetCGI.gov?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=123476
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #565 on: April 15, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
.lets not forget to suport the other shops in Marple as well .....

This is my concern.

The whole store and car park is not in anyway letting people see that there are amazing local shops around the corner (of course asda doesn't want anyone to shop anywhere else). E.g. The asda signs on Hollins Lane completely hide the fact that there is a local bakery opposite (Archers) from view of customers parking their cars.
When I visit towns and villages around our country I always scan around for the local shops too, if I'm visiting a supermarket.
In Glossop Marks and Spencer have a carpark with a footpath leading to the local shops. There is no signage to let people know there are alternative shops around.

amazon

« Reply #564 on: April 14, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
Mrs BG popped in today and was very impressed, although she agrees that things are a little "tighter" in terms of layout. I expect to put on some weight over the next few weeks given that I can now buy my 5 doughnuts for 50p once again!

MISSED THEM DOUGHNUTS . At least we can buy what we need instead of having to go else were .

Bowden Guy

« Reply #563 on: April 14, 2015, 08:14:34 PM »
Mrs BG popped in today and was very impressed, although she agrees that things are a little "tighter" in terms of layout. I expect to put on some weight over the next few weeks given that I can now buy my 5 doughnuts for 50p once again!

rsh

« Reply #562 on: April 14, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
Blimey that enormous green sign facing the Memorial Park entrance is more disgusting than I'd imagined! I will definitely be sending my thoughts too. That was the first impression.

Second not much better - where do you leave a bike? Ok the co-op never had anywhere (the only supermarket I knew of without) but Asda with all their might and money haven't thought to add any stands amongst the plethora of new signage and in fact old railings in front of the "click and collect" where I often saw bikes locked have been removed! Meanwhile the car park was chaotic at midday with queues for spaces... I will be contacting to see if they can add some cycle stands, so let's see how responsive they are.

Inside as expected, tightly packed warehouse shelves and lots of walking end to end! Queues for checkouts (numerous people with FULL trolleys - unthinkable in co-op days!) making navigation more difficult still. But even so, a better atmosphere, welcoming staff, prices at the other end of the scale to what Marple has suffered too long, pensioners with a beaming smiles!

Goodbye co-op and good riddance...

amazon

« Reply #561 on: April 13, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
All looks well until you turn off the veg aisle and then there's no where to run! Middle aisle has gone so the only way to navigate your way round is the 100m run from the back of the store to the till end, which ends more or less within breathing distance of the till operator. Realising the only way to the next aisle is to have sharp elbows and a disregard for your fellow shopper or a 100m dash back the way you came I personally don't think the layout is a good one. They don't even supply water fountains at the top end for refreshments once you've completed the 200m dash!!!! :o. Hopefully may be a littler easier once it's calmed down
You spend more that way agree not a lot of room as yet .give it time to settle nice to see a lot of the same staff ......some were queuing at six this morning they say ....... Will miss the delli counter .ita all
Packet stuff now .fish will stick to going to meal house brew Stockport for that .lets not forget to suport the other shops in Marple as well .....

Jay

« Reply #560 on: April 13, 2015, 02:26:31 PM »
All looks well until you turn off the veg aisle and then there's no where to run! Middle aisle has gone so the only way to navigate your way round is the 100m run from the back of the store to the till end, which ends more or less within breathing distance of the till operator. Realising the only way to the next aisle is to have sharp elbows and a disregard for your fellow shopper or a 100m dash back the way you came I personally don't think the layout is a good one. They don't even supply water fountains at the top end for refreshments once you've completed the 200m dash!!!! :o. Hopefully may be a littler easier once it's calmed down

Dizzy Penguin

« Reply #559 on: April 13, 2015, 02:16:12 PM »
Anyone done Asda yet .surprised at how mutch they've managed to get in .to busy to judge as yet

https://twitter.com/search?q=marple%20asda

amazon

« Reply #558 on: April 13, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »
Legally, "quiet enjoyment" doesn't only mean late night parties

Anyone done Asda yet .surprised at how mutch they've managed to get in .to busy to judge as yet

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #557 on: April 12, 2015, 11:04:58 PM »
A sign at the top of their car park stairs is not usually famed for it's late night parties every day of the week.
Legally, "quiet enjoyment" doesn't only mean late night parties

Duke Fame

« Reply #556 on: April 12, 2015, 10:40:33 AM »
And if what you do with your property "within reason" by your standards, interferes with the right of owners and tenants of neighbouring properties to "quiet enjoyment" of their homes and the value thereof?

A sign at the top of their car park stairs is not usually famed for it's late night parties every day of the week.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #555 on: April 11, 2015, 11:09:11 AM »
No, If you buy a property within reason you should be allowed to do what you like with it
And if what you do with your property "within reason" by your standards, interferes with the right of owners and tenants of neighbouring properties to "quiet enjoyment" of their homes and the value thereof?