RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238436 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #449 on: February 15, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
Hope they managed to find what they wanted ,I didnt

What were you looking for?

marpleleaf

« Reply #448 on: February 15, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »

In the Marple Spring of 2011 when the community came together to oppose plans by Asda and the College to build a hideous new retail shed I expected it would be an opportunity to forge a new vision for the centre of Marple. Not so. Instead the interest by developers has evaporated and communications on plans for the Co-op site, the surrounding plots and even of Asda itself has been very poor.

Speaking to shop staff yesterday they are due to be transferred and retrained as Asda employees and the target date for a new store is the 30th of April. I hope they're going to be OK.

Speaking to shoppers as the shelves emptied they wonder what the whole of the centre will be like and what can be done to make it flow better.

I'll be honest, there was a great deal about the Co-op I didn't like - it was more expensive than most other supermarkets and the range was limited.

It's clear the Co-op brand has taken a battering and the slow death of the Marple store has been tied to larger corporate problems, but the local civic gain has been positive. Will Asda be as generous? So far their silence has been deafening, but then it's early days.

The Civic Society have been active citizens doing some excellent work. Our Labour Party street stalls and surveys have identified an appetite to contribute to something better locally. We're keen to progress this and would urge local people to put pressure on our councillors to work a lot harder for our community.
- See more at: http://themarpleleaf.blogspot.co.uk/#sthash.CXAWhTtG.dpuf

amazon

« Reply #447 on: February 13, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
There have been reports from some local traders that business has been brisk today  :)
Hope they managed to find what they wanted ,I didnt

amazon

« Reply #446 on: February 13, 2015, 08:18:41 PM »
Marple Co-op,

RIP. 
roll on ASDA .time for a change .sorry for some of the staff some have gone retired .some won't come back to work there .we will see .it was originally closing for month but it needs  so much doing at it to bring up to required standard ..

simonesaffron

« Reply #445 on: February 13, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
Marple Co-op,

RIP.

Howard

« Reply #444 on: February 13, 2015, 05:59:22 PM »
It's not really goodbye. They still have a presence in Marple for the convenience store at the Junction of Church Lane and Stockport Road.

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #443 on: February 13, 2015, 05:09:45 PM »
There have been reports from some local traders that business has been brisk today  :)

marpleexile

« Reply #442 on: February 13, 2015, 05:00:38 PM »

Thank you to Ruth Hargreaves for the present day images.

Nice to see that it's business as usual right up until the end :-)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #441 on: February 13, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »
Well love 'em or loath 'em, time is nearly up for Marple Co-Op: http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0

From this:

To this in 102 years:

Thank you to Ruth Hargreaves for the present day images.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #440 on: February 13, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
My guess is:
Organic Peruvian Quinoa
A multi-pack of Chia seeds
Authentic Grissini from Turin
A dozen quail eggs
Two litres of Aqua Libre

Close?
elmlee double single non at iceland and neils .alpen original .extra large eggs non at neils or wilsons small tins heinze beans and spageti non at iceland ,.your turn now .

Harry

« Reply #439 on: February 13, 2015, 03:24:53 PM »
The way they're reducing prices today they'll probably only have newspapers tomorrow.

Howard

« Reply #438 on: February 13, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »
What were the 5 items Amazon? just curious.

My guess is:
Organic Peruvian Quinoa
A multi-pack of Chia seeds
Authentic Grissini from Turin
A dozen quail eggs
Two litres of Aqua Libre

Close?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #437 on: February 13, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
Five items failed to obtain .and I did try .

What were the 5 items Amazon? just curious.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
Unfortunately an article from July 2012 is not likely to be of much use in 2015.  But I too also morn the destruction of our farmers livelihoods and try to pay a fair price for milk etc. But it is getting more difficult.
Asda take over on the 20th February .tried this morning to do my normal shop in marple
Five items failed to obtain .and I did try .

mikes

« Reply #435 on: February 13, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »
Some of us consider the ethical practices of supermarkets. Asda won't tempt them away from the local shops, or Sainsburys, Aldi or Morrisons. Asda comes bottom in Ethical Consumer's list. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/nic-compton/ethical-food-shopping_b_1661206.html

Unfortunately an article from July 2012 is not likely to be of much use in 2015.  But I too also morn the destruction of our farmers livelihoods and try to pay a fair price for milk etc. But it is getting more difficult.