Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238509 times)

marpleleaf

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 10:43:43 PM »
I was opposed to Asda on Hibbert Lane, but this makes sense. Just disappointed it wasn't snapped up by Booths.

amazon

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 10:11:09 PM »
I'm sure they will... It's all about quality and service.

And price .idont think it will make a lot of difference to the other shops maybe for a week or so when it changes over . I will still use the other shops .....

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »
I'll cough to being a convert to Asda (Hyde) about 9 months ago. I think Marpleites will be surprised at the quality of much of the food and certainly the staff are very friendly - which I do get the impression is a company ethos. I think it will be good for Marple as it's bound to both draw in customers to the town and / or retain them. My days of jaunting over Werneth Low are likely to soon be over.

One thing though - I do fear for Marples car parking now. Can't see the current co-op coping with the demand is Asda is half decent. So where to go? Is this the death rattle for the Chadwick St development proposals.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

gazwhite

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »
The bucher the baker won't be smiling over the top of there banner now ...

I'm sure they will... It's all about quality and service.

amazon

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 08:08:52 PM »
I should imagine that ASDA are delighted with the situation. Not only have they apparently achieved their objective of a foothold in Marple but they have presumably done so without any of those concessions that they once offered in relation to the sale of some food and non food products and a café.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Marple mujahideen make some attempt to spoil the party but I suspect that, if it does proceed, ASDA will still be in Marple long after they have gone.

ASDA in Marple and Aldi in Offerton and Romiley! Sounds good to me. I just need Aldi to increase the size of their car park in Romiley then we can all get in.

The bucher the baker won't be smiling over the top of there banner now ...

alstan

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 07:38:43 PM »
I should imagine that ASDA are delighted with the situation. Not only have they apparently achieved their objective of a foothold in Marple but they have presumably done so without any of those concessions that they once offered in relation to the sale of some food and non food products and a café.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Marple mujahideen make some attempt to spoil the party but I suspect that, if it does proceed, ASDA will still be in Marple long after they have gone.

ASDA in Marple and Aldi in Offerton and Romiley! Sounds good to me. I just need Aldi to increase the size of their car park in Romiley then we can all get in.

Rachael

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
I dont know how long it will take Amazon, we have not had any information at the store I work at

simonesaffron

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »
You are right Panther there is no reason for objection. Apart from the snooties who will object to anything unless it is a Waitrose. They somehow have this picture of Marple being an upper class Victorian village. If it ever was it shed such an image decades ago.

This time though there is nowhere for them to object to. It is a trading relationship between the co-op and Asda and nobody else's business. SMBC won't be interested and local councillors certainly won't. Incidentally last year I was in the ASDA in Hyde. It isn't a store that I normally go in but I saw two ( yes two ) of our local Councillors shopping there.           

amazon

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »
I don't think anyone other than "rosehill7" is objecting. I was absolutely against an Asda on Hibbert Lane, but that was for reasons other than them being Asda. I'm quite happy for them to take over the Co-op store. Certainly the prices will be lower and their logistics will be far better than the Co-op's which means that their shelves won't be half empty.

Personally, I like the idea of the Co-op's ethical standpoint, which I find far more acceptable than that of the Wallmart organisation. However, the Co-op's rank incompetence in terms of managing their stocks in the Marple store and their policy of pricing what the local population will bear will not be missed. What the Co-op needed was some local competition which might have smartened up their act and increased the choice of Marple shoppers. I doubt whether anything will be build on Chadwick St for the foreseeable future so we will be exchanging one monopoly for another. However, I suspect that Asda management will make the store in Marple a far more attractive proposition than the Co-op it is replacing.
How long will this take to turn over . To Asda .

Howard

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »
some may not want an Asda store full stop, but a shop that will be cheaper, cleaner, fuller, and colleagues that have to give you the time of day as part of their job surely can only be a good thing ... why would anyone object to that ?

I don't think anyone other than "rosehill7" is objecting. I was absolutely against an Asda on Hibbert Lane, but that was for reasons other than them being Asda. I'm quite happy for them to take over the Co-op store. Certainly the prices will be lower and their logistics will be far better than the Co-op's which means that their shelves won't be half empty.

Personally, I like the idea of the Co-op's ethical standpoint, which I find far more acceptable than that of the Wallmart organisation. However, the Co-op's rank incompetence in terms of managing their stocks in the Marple store and their policy of pricing what the local population will bear will not be missed. What the Co-op needed was some local competition which might have smartened up their act and increased the choice of Marple shoppers. I doubt whether anything will be build on Chadwick St for the foreseeable future so we will be exchanging one monopoly for another. However, I suspect that Asda management will make the store in Marple a far more attractive proposition than the Co-op it is replacing.

Rachael

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 02:15:09 PM »
I think some of the staff there are in for a shock, when visiting the store the other day, the woman on the check out didnt even speak to me, acknowledge me etc etc, Asda simply will not allow that carry on .  I have worked for Asda for 3 years, and think what you will of it, they actually have very high standards , and targets that have to  be met on a daily basis .... some may not want an Asda store full stop, but a shop that will be cheaper, cleaner, fuller, and colleagues that have to give you the time of day as part of their job surely can only be a good thing ... why would anyone object to that ?

Dave

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »
Great news - thanks corium - and well done to rosehill7 for 'breaking' it! 

corium

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »
Reply from the Coop to my tweet to them:

The Co-operative Group can confirm that it has reached a conditional agreement to sell its food store in Marple to Asda, subject to approval from the Competition and Markets Authority.

The sale is part of our strategy to be the UK’s leading convenience food retailer. Allied to this we are continuing to invest in our estate and looking to acquire a further 100 convenience food stores by the end of 2014.

A spokesperson for The Co-operative Group said: “Our food store in Marple will be sold as a going concern, and all food staff, full-time and part-time, will transfer to the new operator with their terms and conditions of employment maintained. It will continue to trade as a Co-operative store until it transfers to Asda.

“We are pleased to have a deal which will ensure continued employment for our colleagues, as well as a continuing service for the local community.”

amazon

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »
I don't think the sale of the town centre Co-op to Asda will affect the Texaco garage Co-op. 

Good post by marpleexile - I agree with all of that, and this bit:  ....made me smile  :)

Remember as well Asda do a hell of a lot of local charity giving ....

Dave

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 07:57:01 AM »
I don't think the sale of the town centre Co-op to Asda will affect the Texaco garage Co-op. 

Good post by marpleexile - I agree with all of that, and this bit: 
Because all the Charity shops make it look so classy now?
....made me smile  :)