Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238505 times)

corium

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 08:25:18 PM »
I think any opposition will be that hinted at on a post above, that some see it as cheap. In other words,snooty people don't want Asda in Marple. Much of MIA was over the location of HL but there were also many smears about Asda and Walmart being banded about. It wouldn't surprise me if some were against it but I don't see how they could stop it?

I agree. I heard some comments around only Waitrose, or at a pinch M&S, being "acceptable" in Marple however I see the ASDA delivery vans as frequently as any other. What happens with the petrol station - is that also owned by the CooP or just leased?

marpleexile

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »
I think we have more to consider than buying American goods. 
What American goods? They don't ship stuff from the States just because the parent company is now American, they source stuff from the same supply lines they always did - although possibly can use the buying power of a larger company to get a better deal on some items.
Residents should consider educating themselves about Walmart. Just read Wikipedia.

What about them? The fact that Asda is owned by Walmart doesn't change UK employment law (some of the more, er, interesting, practises in the States are illegal in the UK, and they are no better or worse than anyone else when it comes to things like Zero hour contracts.

None of which would affect the Residents of Marple, just it's employees.

Then we should ask what price are we prepared to pay for CHEAP?

That's a fair point, but it is also a much wider point, and not solely related to a change in ownership of the Co-Op building.

But the people who are complaining most about the prices in the Co-Op are the least well off in Marple who can barely afford to shop there, but for whom it isn't practical, or any cheaper once transportation is factored in, to shop outside of Marple - like the majority of the residents do.

Will they want to build up or out?  Is our fire station behind it safe?

Why would the Fire Station not be safe? Asda (or anyone else) taking over the Co-Op building wouldn't impact on whether Marple Fire Station is needed or not.

What will the centre of our town look like?  CHEAP?  Will that affect property prices?

Because all the Charity shops make it look so classy now? Replacing the Co-Op sign with an Asda sign won't make one jot of difference. Although property prices might well go up if being able to do a family shop for 4 or more people in the village, rather than having to drive a 10+ mile round trip to a neighbouring village is seen as desirable.

Which small stores will it affect?

Same as when we were talking about the College site, Iceland and Superdrug. Virtually non of the other shops left in Marple directly compete with a Supermarket. And those that do are still here despite the majority of residents shopping outside the village.

MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION...AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT FIGHT IT!  TELL THE CO-OP HOW YOU FEEL THROUGH THE MEMBERS' WEBSITE.

Done

marpleexile

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »

Although whether the Co-op would want to open a convenience store so close to a supermarket is an interesting question, especially as they already have a convenience store at the Texaco garage.

Also, the most convenient place to park for such as store (as side from the Bus Stop) would be....... in the car park of the new Asda (Tesco, or M&S, or Aldi or whatever).

barndoor

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
This is good news. Now all we need is an Aldi and I'm happy  ;)

I don't mind Aldi, but I'd prefer a Booths. It won't happen, of course, but I can dream...

Dave

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »
They could build a second floor though maybe? Like the big Asda/Tescos.

They could, but I suspect they won't.  In the past year or two there's been a lot of press analysis tracing a decline in the construction of really huge supermarkets such as the Tesco Extra at Portwood roundabout.  See, for example,  http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/mar/17/supermarkets-realise-size-no-longer-key-to-universe

Quote from that article: 'shoppers are changing their habits fast. They are shopping in smaller outlets, more often, and moving online at a dramatic rate.'

So although Asda will probably want to rebuild and extend, the extension may not be a huge one.  Maybe increasing the present 17,000 sq.ft. of the Co-op by c.50%, to about 25,000 sq.ft, which I believe is a fairly standard size for a normal supermarket.  I suspect they could achieve that by simply extending across the area currently occupied by the row of four small shops next door and also into the vast loading yard at the back. 

amazon

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
I think any opposition will be that hinted at on a post above, that some see it as cheap. In other words,snooty people don't want Asda in Marple. Much of MIA was over the location of HL but there were also many smears about Asda and Walmart being banded about. It wouldn't surprise me if some were against it but I don't see how they could stop it?

I wouldn't worry re the fire station, stores cannot just take other people's property. They could build a second floor though maybe? Like the big Asda/Tescos.

I wouldn't put too much faith in Wikipedia, it is often very inaccurate due to its nature that anyone can edit it.
             I did say twelve months ago that Asda would try and come to marple .

JMC

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 03:32:33 PM »

I wouldn't worry re the fire station, stores cannot just take other people's property. They could build a second floor though maybe? Like the big Asda/Tescos.

I wouldn't put too much faith in Wikipedia, it is often very inaccurate due to its nature that anyone can edit it.

simonesaffron

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »
An excellent suggestion. Thank you Rosehill.

I've told them that I think its a marvellous idea and will be most welcome by the people of Marple.

Me too I've just done it now. I've urged them to hurry the deal along. The sooner the co-op gets out of Marple and Asda arrives the better for all of us.

amazon

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
I think we have more to consider than buying American goods.  Residents should consider educating themselves about Walmart. Just read Wikipedia.

What will the centre of our town look like?  CHEAP?  Will that affect property prices?

MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION...AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT FIGHT IT!  TELL THE CO-OP HOW YOU FEEL THROUGH THE MEMBERS' WEBSITE.

Were you a member of MIA .....
a lot of us have allready told the coop what we think .we need change for marple Asda could be that change .it will be very busy if they come .possible Chadwick street won't hapen going to need the car park space .

Harry

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
TELL THE CO-OP HOW YOU FEEL THROUGH THE MEMBERS' WEBSITE.

An excellent suggestion. Thank you Rosehill.

I've told them that I think its a marvellous idea and will be most welcome by the people of Marple.

Dave

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
No need to SHOUT, rosehill!   ;)

rosehill7

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »
"...subsidiary of the USA..." What are you talking about Rosehill ? It's a supermarket in Marple not FBI Headquarters. Anyway we've been the 51st state of the USA since The Marshall Plan, so what's the difference?     

I THINK WE SHOULD ALL BE GETTING PARANOID ABOUT PRICE FIXING ETC BY NOW, BUT MOST OF US ARE HAPPY TO LIE BELLY UP AS LONG AS WE CAN SAVE A BOB OR TWO!

rosehill7

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
I think we have more to consider than buying American goods.  Residents should consider educating themselves about Walmart. Just read Wikipedia.

Dave

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »
That wouldn't surprise me either.  And the sale of the main Co-op (if it's true) is also not at all surprising.  As someone wrote recently on the other Co-op thread:

I read somewhere that the Co-op, in attempting to turn round its ailing business, is considering disposing of some or all of its larger supermarkets and concentrating on the smaller convenience stores.

Although whether the Co-op would want to open a convenience store so close to a supermarket is an interesting question, especially as they already have a convenience store at the Texaco garage.

Howard

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »
I predict you'll see another co-op convenience store in the empty unit next to Costa. The co-op still own that property.