A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238499 times)

wheels

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #329 on: September 26, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
With Simone on this your not making any sense at all H.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #328 on: September 26, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »
I've read the article login and your comments are perplexing.
(Sigh)

Quote from the link.

"It forms a wider part of Asda’s belated attempt to muscle into the convenience sector."

There are other links I could have included. Would you like me to do so?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #327 on: September 26, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »
I don't really understand your point the Marple Co-op is much much larger than what is meant by a "convenience store" and not at all what Andy Clarke was taking about in the article your shared with us.
Suggest you read the link

simonesaffron

« Reply #326 on: September 26, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
It will be, Dave, it will be!

Although Asda is following the other big supermarket names into "convenience" stores. Perhaps that's why they took on the Co-op sites. The following is from December last year:-

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1224888/asda-reveals-new-high-street-format-convenience-battle-heightens

I've read the article login and your comments are perplexing.

wheels

« Reply #325 on: September 26, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »
I don't really understand your point the Marple Co-op is much much larger than what is meant by a "convenience store" and not at all what Andy Clarke was taking about in the article your shared with us.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #324 on: September 25, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »

The Marple Co-op is an unusual size......not as big as a 'normal' supermarket.
It will be, Dave, it will be!

Although Asda is following the other big supermarket names into "convenience" stores. Perhaps that's why they took on the Co-op sites. The following is from December last year:-

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1224888/asda-reveals-new-high-street-format-convenience-battle-heightens

Howard

« Reply #323 on: September 24, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »
Ashton-under-Lyne Asda has a petrol station. That's a big 24hr store as well.

Dave

« Reply #322 on: September 24, 2014, 10:10:34 AM »
The only Asda with fuel that I can think of is the one in Moss Side.  When Asda's Hibbert Lane scheme was still alive, they planned to sell fuel there, which would have done wonders for the exorbitant price of fuel in Marple!

Re the sales area of Asda stores, I don't know about the others that Alison mentions, but the new one in Reddish is far bigger than the Marple Co-op, which as I recall is a mere 17,000 sq.ft.  See http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/asda-announces-300-new-jobs-7574078

The Marple Co-op is an unusual size - bigger than a convenience store but not as big as a 'normal' supermarket.

alison

« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2014, 11:02:39 PM »
As only one of the nearest twelve Asda stores has a petrol station, I doubt that this will be a problem.

I can't  actually think of a local Asda that has a petrol station, which is it? Asda s'more recent business model is for smaller stores ( e.g. The one in Reddish, the new one about to open near Stockport Tesco, the one in Longsight, Cheadle Hulme) . The Marple size is a pretty good fit with that and two existing petrol stations is probably enough!

amazon

« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »
I don't particularly think I'm better than anyone, I just don't like asda.

Interesting to read the developments, increased choice is a good thing as we are all different  :)

Lot of men stocktaking in the coop this morning will that be for coop or Asda . All the shelves seamed to be stocked .up  including the veg .not usually like that on a Monday ......

munchkjn

« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2014, 12:46:53 PM »
You sound like a snob.

I don't particularly think I'm better than anyone, I just don't like asda.

Interesting to read the developments, increased choice is a good thing as we are all different  :)

simonesaffron

« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »
Whatever the reason and whosoever you attribute the blame too, there is a parking problem in Marple and it gets worse as each year goes by.

The benefit of a new supermarket in the centre is increased competition/choice and all the implications this offers. Also to enhance the business of the local traders. If there is nowhere for people to park then this enhancement will be cancelled out. If you take your car into Marple on a Friday or Saturday you will experience difficulty in parking it in fact you may not be able to do it at all. I know this as I have first - hand experience of it myself. 

Therefore by definition there is a parking problem and if we reduce the number of parking spaces by building a supermarket on an existing car-park then this problem will be made worse.

That's my take on it anyway.

Harry

« Reply #317 on: September 21, 2014, 05:59:34 PM »
I wonder where ASDA are going to put the petrol station they will inevitably want ?

As only one of the nearest twelve Asda stores has a petrol station, I doubt that this will be a problem.

mikes

« Reply #316 on: September 21, 2014, 03:43:36 PM »
I wonder where ASDA are going to put the petrol station they will inevitably want ?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »
I asked about this and was also told February, but he was very much of the attitude of “…if it even happens at all.” I’m not sure if that was sour grapes cos it’s been put on hold or if it genuinely is precarious for whatever reasons.

Anyway, like Henrietta, I’ve always found the staff cheerful and fine. And unlike Henrietta, I’m not always cheerful and fine myself!

In fact there’s one lady who’s name escapes me (in her 40’s at a guess, blonde bob) who saw me with my newborn baby 18 months ago and now always asks about him when I’m at her checkout. She’s very friendly without being too in your face. I find all the staff friendly in Co-op, except for maybe ...............[removed by admin - PM me if you'd like to know why].

Who do you think you are?? You don't know anything about a particular persons day. Some people just have bad days. They didn't get enough sleep. Their cat died at the weekend. Could be anything. How dare you suggest ALL staff should give you the time of day at ALL times like you're some kind of god.
Good for you, DP and I know the lady you mean. She always asks after my horse having seen me one day when I'd come straight from the stables covered in straw.

There's a young girl on the checkout who is very shy and seems at first glance to be stand-offish but she comes out of her shell if you smile and talk to her and she's very helpful.

I'm not always all sweetness and light when I get out of the car but I don't think I should take that with me into the store and throw it at the first assistant I speak to so I try to bear in mind that the other person may be having a bad day too and I find a smile and a friendly word works wonders. It cheers me up too, much more than if I'd been grumpy.

I worked in shops and cafes when I was a student and I know what a thankless task it is. One becomes grateful for even something as small as a smile. Fortunately, I wasn't condemned to spend my working life there. Other people do it because they have no option and shouldn't be sneered at.