Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238426 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »
It seems like you are suggesting I get rudeness because I am rude!!!  :D And you get friendly responses because you are nice!!! Do you work at the Coop by any chance  ;)

Sorry but I have never been 'rude' on this forum!! Or in the Coop!! In fact I know many staff there to speak to. A few are friendly, yes. But there are some who it seems like don't want to be there or don't make any effort or chat in the aisles for ages. Overall, though, surely the customer is always right, if their experience has been bad then this should be dealt with. Many residents say it is badly stocked/unfriendly etc. At the very least it should be seen as a possibility and not simply blaming the customer!!

The (non rude) elderly lady was slow, yes, she is 80+ with arthritis and took a while to order/get money out of purse. But that doesn't mean the staff member should be rude back surely!
How very clever of you to know what I meant to say when I didn't know it myself. I didn't mention your user name and I don't know what your attitude in the shop is. However, if the cap fits wear it.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
The public/The drivers create the problem by driving instead of walking not the Local Authority.
Sorry wheels but that is absolute tosh.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

wheels

« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
But there will be when the Council sell the biggest public car park in Marple to allow a supermarket to be built on it! I'm not going to start on this again......   ;D

The public/The drivers create the problem by driving instead of walking not the Local Authority.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2014, 08:17:25 PM »
Fundamentally Simone is correct in the first part of her post there is a supermarket that is very interested one less so. As to what will happen who knows...As to the parking I must admit I was not aware there was a parking problem in the town centre,
But there will be when the Council sell the biggest public car park in Marple to allow a supermarket to be built on it! I'm not going to start on this again......   ;D
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

amazon

« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »
Fundamentally Simone is correct in the first part of her post there is a supermarket that is very interested one less so. As to what will happen who knows...As to the parking I must admit I was not aware there was a parking problem in the town centre,

There isn't a problem it's just that people can't be bothered walking .or using public transport .

wheels

« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »

simonesaffron

« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2014, 01:50:37 PM »
My understanding of the situation is as follows and to some extent concurs with what Wheels has said.

There are two supermarkets interested in Chadwick street. The interest of one is much stronger than the other. However there is an increasing awareness amongst decision makers that Marple has an insoluble parking problem that is getting worse and if a new supermarket were to come to town then that would exacerbate it even further. The parking situation will even be worsened when/if the co-op changes to Asda.

So that is the dilemma; increased/improved supermarket provision versus parking.   

Dave

« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2014, 07:40:51 AM »
No it's in the hands of the supermarket who have expressed an interest and the other who have expressed mild interest.

As we know, wheels has impeccable council connections, so he may be better informed than the rest of us.  But my understanding is that the Chadwick/Trinity Street site has not yet been disposed of, or found a tenant, and is still in the hands of the Stockport Strategic Property Partnership, which is a partnership between the council and property firm Carillion:CBRE.  

A supermarket expressing interest, whether mild or not, does not change that status, and the likelihood is that pauljonespm will be proved correct:  
The build cost per sq ft is to expensive when compared to options in alternative towns.

Coming back to the Asda acquisition of the Co-op site, I would not be entirely surprised if that were to fall through now.

pauljonespm

« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2014, 11:40:07 PM »
There is no interest from supermarkets for the sorting office site.
The build cost per sq ft is to expensive when compared to options in alternative towns.

Regarding the co-op, neither party would be satisfied if the store was  fully or part closed over the busiest months of the year so february looks like a sensible option.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #305 on: September 19, 2014, 05:06:58 PM »
We are all "snobs" in that we all make value judgments about other people. For example, I consider myself superior to someone who robs a 22 year old woman, in the early hours of the morning, at the end of the road where I live. We all make these judgments, apart from you, of course......

simonesaffron

« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
I'm not really looking forward to it as I don't really like shopping in asda. I suppose I'm a snob but it makes me feel confused and anxious and I don't really like the layout or the product range. They seem to aim the brand at a certain demographic which I feel that maybe I don't fit into.

Are there still plans to bring an alternative supermarket to Marple on the site of the post office depot? I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

You sound like a snob.

wheels

« Reply #303 on: September 19, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »
No it's in the hands of the supermarket who have expressed an interest and the other who have expressed mild interest.

Dave

« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2014, 02:59:29 PM »
Your right it's a paperwork problem .

I didn't use the word 'paperwork', which makes it sound trivial.  It could equally well be something much more serious, to do with land ownership or access rights, for example.  We just don't know. 

Are there still plans to bring an alternative supermarket to Marple on the site of the post office depot? I haven't heard anything about it for a while.

It's now entirely in the hands of the council, so don't hold your breath!   ;)

amazon

« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »
That was my first thought too, when someone posted here that the changeover had been put back to Feb, when it was previously expected about now.  It could be that the negotiations have stalled over a problem of some sort.  But even if that's the case, one thing is certain - the Co-op will dispose of it eventually.  Nationally they have made it plain that their policy is to concentrate on convenience stores in future. 
Your right it's a paperwork problem .

munchkjn

« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
I'm not really looking forward to it as I don't really like shopping in asda. I suppose I'm a snob but it makes me feel confused and anxious and I don't really like the layout or the product range. They seem to aim the brand at a certain demographic which I feel that maybe I don't fit into.