Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be  (Read 57910 times)

Dave

Re: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:35:23 PM »
Then there was the blind wine tasting at this years International Wine and Spirit competition. Aldi entered a bottle of their own label £3.59 Tempranillo against French Grand Crus and others costing £30 a bottle. It won the silver medal , Aldi also won another 17 medals at the event including a Shiraz selling for £3.49.

I'll drink to that!   :P

amazon

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »
You probably already know that earlier this year UK consumers voted Aldi on to the short list for Supermarket of the Year (run by Which?) and that their panel of experts placed the company in first place, beating M&S and Waitrose on customer satisfaction, value for money, reliability and quality. They won the same award in 2009. Doesn’t get much better than that.

It doesn’t look to me as if they are regarded the same in Germany as they are here., Berlin Information Group’s (whoever they are) cheap and nasty or Which? Supermarket of the Year, take your pick. It’s not a difficult decision for me.

Then there was the blind wine tasting at this years International Wine and Spirit competition. Aldi entered a bottle of their own label £3.59 Tempranillo against French Grand Crus and others costing £30 a bottle. It won the silver medal , Aldi also won another 17 medals at the event including a Shiraz selling for £3.49. Their wine and spirits sales grew by 25.4% in the first 12 weeks of this year.

Aldi on Chadwick Street? Yes please.

No thank you  . Don't like aldi stuff

alstan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »
You probably already know that earlier this year UK consumers voted Aldi on to the short list for Supermarket of the Year (run by Which?) and that their panel of experts placed the company in first place, beating M&S and Waitrose on customer satisfaction, value for money, reliability and quality. They won the same award in 2009. Doesn’t get much better than that.

It doesn’t look to me as if they are regarded the same in Germany as they are here., Berlin Information Group’s (whoever they are) cheap and nasty or Which? Supermarket of the Year, take your pick. It’s not a difficult decision for me.

Then there was the blind wine tasting at this years International Wine and Spirit competition. Aldi entered a bottle of their own label £3.59 Tempranillo against French Grand Crus and others costing £30 a bottle. It won the silver medal , Aldi also won another 17 medals at the event including a Shiraz selling for £3.49. Their wine and spirits sales grew by 25.4% in the first 12 weeks of this year.

Aldi on Chadwick Street? Yes please.

Tricky

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »
People might be interested in the article printed recently in The Guardian  about ALDI
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2012/oct/08/aldi-supermarket-shopping-difference

The Guardian - Comments

MANTARIK 08-10-12

Got to love these middle class poverty tourist types.

:)
meh

Victor M

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:59:33 AM »
People might be interested in the article printed recently in The Guardian  about ALDI
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2012/oct/08/aldi-supermarket-shopping-difference

Harry

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »
Well certainly in Germany Aldi would be regarded as a quality retailer ..........

I don't think so. I think Aldi are regarded in Germany much as they are regarded here.

The BerlinInfo web site includes Aldi in the 'stack'em high, sell 'em cheap´ category, which they also call 'downmarkets´.

Aldi also top the list of 'Cheap and nasty supermarkets:' according to them.

See the full article at http://www.berlinfo.com/Lifetime/Shopping/food/supermarkets/index.htm

Duke Fame

Speculation about which Supermarket it might be
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »
The referenced http://www.marpletowncentrestore.co.uk/ isn't live yet, says "under construction", as I'd hoped to find out from there where the new sorting office will be.  Marple Area Committee minutes earlier this year noted http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=138 "A requirement of any development proposal will be to retain parking provision to serve the district centre, public realm improvements and the relocation of the Royal Mail sorting office."

I guess the reference to "high quality food retailer" in the booklet doesn't necessarily rule out LIDL / ALDI.

Well certainly in Germany Aldi would be regarded as a quality retailer and they regularly beat larger retailer including Waitrose in terms of their fruit and veg quality.

The likes of Waitrose are fur coat & no knickers shops. Foodies, would not shop there without an endorsement