Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be  (Read 58391 times)

marpleexile

Re: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 09:18:06 AM »
Attract more people to Marple? I thought that was something we desperately needed to avoid. What has happened to the gridlock that we were going to be engulfed in?

I think you've missed the point. It's OK if Marple is in gridlock because people are visiting nice local stores, such as the Co-Op, Iceland, Superdrug, Boots, etc. But not if it's because they are visiting one of those nasty national chain stores such as Asda. Oh, wait, er......

alstan

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07:09 AM »
Everybody seems to rave about Booths where is their nearest shop? I have never seen one so I will have to have a look.

Attract more people to Marple? I thought that was something we desperately needed to avoid. What has happened to the gridlock that we were going to be engulfed in?

Chris78

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 09:06:57 PM »
The Booths at Clitheroe is nt that big nor is the M&S Simply Food at Hazel Grove. As like all the established supermarkets Waitrose have "Little Waitrose" so I don't think size necessarily matters.  ;)

Harry

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »
It may not be too small Dave. The proposed development on Trinity Street has 25,000 sq ft of sales area, exactly the same as the proposed Asda store.

My preference would be an M&S Simply Food. Now that really would bring people into Marple.

Dave

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »
Dream on Chris!  Great idea, but I can't see it, sadly.  :'( And isn't the plot a bit too small for a Booths? 

Chris78

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »
Granted Aldi are a lot better than some people make them out to be, but when it boils down to it I think the majority of people (including Kirkland who know doubt are trying to attract a more prestigious supermarket name than Aldi) would say they are not regarded as a high quality food retailer. I don't think Aldi would be seen as a major anchor store for Marple nor would they attract enough people into the town which Kirkland have made out they are looking to get in their leaflet. I think given that Romiley has an Aldi, the way the development looks. i.e. its not a box standard off the self retail unit, the presentation of the leaflet with green banners and its text font, it just doesn't come across as an Aldi.

My thoughts are that Kirkland are in discussions with either Waitrose or M&S Simply Food. Both are more plausible than Aldi but to be left field and add yet another supermarket to the mix of discussion what about a Booths? They are a North West company, they are very selective in the whereabouts of their stores, have a good selection of local produced goods, invest in attractive buildings and employ people who are really knowledgeable and passionate about food. I know they are seen to be expensive and the Waitrose of the North but I think they would be a good fit for Marple.

Dave

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »
I know what you mean, Duke.  You remind me of why I don't actually mind the Co-op - it's one of the few places where I still feel young.    :D

Duke Fame

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 11:05:02 PM »
You probably already know that earlier this year UK consumers voted Aldi on to the short list for Supermarket of the Year (run by Which?) and that their panel of experts placed the company in first place, beating M&S and Waitrose on customer satisfaction, value for money, reliability and quality. They won the same award in 2009. Doesn’t get much better than that.

It doesn’t look to me as if they are regarded the same in Germany as they are here., Berlin Information Group’s (whoever they are) cheap and nasty or Which? Supermarket of the Year, take your pick. It’s not a difficult decision for me.

Then there was the blind wine tasting at this years International Wine and Spirit competition. Aldi entered a bottle of their own label £3.59 Tempranillo against French Grand Crus and others costing £30 a bottle. It won the silver medal , Aldi also won another 17 medals at the event including a Shiraz selling for £3.49. Their wine and spirits sales grew by 25.4% in the first 12 weeks of this year.

Aldi on Chadwick Street? Yes please.

No thank you  . Don't like aldi stuff
Better than Asda!!! ::)

No chance ,roll on ASDA .

Asda is quite good, it always leaves me with a sense of superiority

JMC

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
I like Aldi. Yes it is a little 'odd' at first but the prices and products are great. I think a lot of people are just brand snobs and think cheap is aways awful without ever trying it.

Bluezorro

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
Asda would not fancy a margin busting battle with an aldi.

Lily

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »
And what's more, Aldi now sell Heinz Baked Beans (the best in my opinion) along with other branded goods.

Bluezorro

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »
Maybe aldi could brand the supermarket as a 'waitrose outlet' then nobody would know that it was them.

Stack it high and sell it cheap.

Aldi are not known as a cheap supermarket in germany and holland.

thebigshed

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
How can anyone not like to be able to buy an angle grinder with their baked beans?

amazon

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »
You probably already know that earlier this year UK consumers voted Aldi on to the short list for Supermarket of the Year (run by Which?) and that their panel of experts placed the company in first place, beating M&S and Waitrose on customer satisfaction, value for money, reliability and quality. They won the same award in 2009. Doesn’t get much better than that.

It doesn’t look to me as if they are regarded the same in Germany as they are here., Berlin Information Group’s (whoever they are) cheap and nasty or Which? Supermarket of the Year, take your pick. It’s not a difficult decision for me.

Then there was the blind wine tasting at this years International Wine and Spirit competition. Aldi entered a bottle of their own label £3.59 Tempranillo against French Grand Crus and others costing £30 a bottle. It won the silver medal , Aldi also won another 17 medals at the event including a Shiraz selling for £3.49. Their wine and spirits sales grew by 25.4% in the first 12 weeks of this year.

No chance ,roll on ASDA .

jethroh65

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »