Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Costa Coffee comes to Marple  (Read 60444 times)

Dave

Re: Costa Coffee comes to Marple
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
I wouldnt visit costa if subway was next door,  I cant bear the smell of the shops , and thats from the outside , but talking to other people, it appears to be just me that cant stand the smell of subway shops , I dont know if its the bread, or the hot fillings or what, but it makes me feel bluuuuuuuugh !

No it's not just you, PP - the Subway smell makes me go yeuuuuuuch too! 

Rachael

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
I wouldnt visit costa if subway was next door,  I cant bear the smell of the shops , and thats from the outside , but talking to other people, it appears to be just me that cant stand the smell of subway shops , I dont know if its the bread, or the hot fillings or what, but it makes me feel bluuuuuuuugh !

Barbara

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
And we all know about 'the word on the street' in Marple, don't we?  Rumour and counter rumour abound! ;)

Henry_

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2012, 12:11:49 AM »
Subway next door? That's the word on the street tonight

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
I wish anyone who starts a business all the best, business can only bring good things.

Have passed several times and if they don't get in a lot more customers very quickly they will soon be out. Obviously Costa aims for a different type of clientele but on one occasion when I passed  Costa it had 3 people in it and a few minutes later I hit "All Things Nice which was heaving and I had to wait for a table.

Mind you, ATN have a better class of coffee than Costa - most places do. I've frequented several branches in lieu of anything better and their coffee is universally vile and the tea worse! As I think I've said elsewhere, I don't think the good cafes in Marple have much to worry about.

Al ways busy when I go up there. There is allways those people that would like a business to close then they can say told you so .and there's always somewhere cheaper and better ,i. Suspect your one of them .
Since you don't know me you are not in a position to know what I am.  My family were in business in Marple for 60 years so I would always support any business that sets out to do its best to give the best product and serve the community. Unless the Marple Costa is very different to others all over the country I suspect it doesn't try to do either.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
The big problem with costa in general is that it's part of a 2000 strong chain and therefore the quality will not be the same. As all food and drink is subjective I thinks that places like all things nice do not have to worry too much. The big chains might be able to fit out their places in a Very comfortable manner as cost is no object, but when quality comes in to play they just cannot compete with the small boys who have a passion for the service they provide and the quality of the food they serve.
Costa's a franchise, isn't it? Three cheers for the "small boys".

Blossom

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »
Well I walk past Costa in Marple a lot and it always seems busy to me.  It was very busy the other day and Toast in Derby Way was empty.  I have not been in Costa yet as I always have dogs with me but when it is warm enough to sit outside I will.  I will still go to the other cafes in Marple as well as I have a husband who is incapable of walking past a cafe that sells coffee without having one!

amazon

« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »
There is allways those people that would like a business to close then they can say told you so .and there's always somewhere cheaper and better ,i. Suspect your one of them .

And here's another, I think:   ;)
Before they opened i did say wont last six months read post earlier [september 21st ]
That wasn't costa coffe . I still stick by what I said .

Miss Marple

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »
I agree with you Marplemum I think it's great that we have a Costa in Marple for YPs to meet in a relaxed atmosphere where they can chat   Whilst all the other coffee shops in Marple are great and serve good coffee they are a little to small to have a group of YPs in chatting and laughing whilst we try to enjoy a toasted teacake  :D.  So now we are all happy don't you agree ?

Dave

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »
There is allways those people that would like a business to close then they can say told you so .and there's always somewhere cheaper and better ,i. Suspect your one of them .

And here's another, I think:   ;)
Before they opened i did say wont last six months read post earlier [september 21st ]

amazon

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2012, 02:22:44 PM »
I wish anyone who starts a business all the best, business can only bring good things.

I agree.  When I went into Costa for the first time recently, I was served by a local young person and recognised a few others working in there.  This can only be a good thing for Marple.  

On a slightly separate subject (maybe this should be posted somewhere else?)  I went into Poynton today, down Park Lane.  Why am I telling you this you might ask?!!  Well, I again went into Costa at the bottom of Park Lane, right next to Waitrose.  I was pleasantly surprised and impressed to see that Park Lane was buzzing with Saturday shoppers, despite the fact that there was a Costa Coffee and a very large Waitrose at the bottom of it.  A taste of things to come for Marple?  - I hope so! (although probably with an Asda but you can't have everything!).

Have passed several times and if they don't get in a lot more customers very quickly they will soon be out. Obviously Costa aims for a different type of clientele but on one occasion when I passed  Costa it had 3 people in it and a few minutes later I hit "All Things Nice which was heaving and I had to wait for a table.

Mind you, ATN have a better class of coffee than Costa - most places do. I've frequented several branches in lieu of anything better and their coffee is universally vile and the tea worse! As I think I've said elsewhere, I don't think the good cafes in Marple have much to worry about.

Al ways busy when I go up there. There is allways those people that would like a business to close then they can say told you so .and there's always somewhere cheaper and better ,i. Suspect your one of them .

Howard

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »

ATN is also the first stop into the town on the way from the college so will be a natural stop for students wanting to eat in the town centre.

richard

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2012, 02:51:04 AM »
The big problem with costa in general is that it's part of a 2000 strong chain and therefore the quality will not be the same. As all food and drink is subjective I thinks that places like all things nice do not have to worry too much. The big chains might be able to fit out their places in a Very comfortable manner as cost is no object, but when quality comes in to play they just cannot compete with the small boys who have a passion for the service they provide and the quality of the food they serve.

Marplemum

« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »
I suppose it's a question of personal taste and I couldn't disagree more with you. :)

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:02 PM »

I agree.  When I went into Costa for the first time recently, I was served by a local young person and recognised a few others working in there.  This can only be a good thing for Marple.  

On a slightly separate subject (maybe this should be posted somewhere else?)  I went into Poynton today, down Park Lane.  Why am I telling you this you might ask?!!  Well, I again went into Costa at the bottom of Park Lane, right next to Waitrose.  I was pleasantly surprised and impressed to see that Park Lane was buzzing with Saturday shoppers, despite the fact that there was a Costa Coffee and a very large Waitrose at the bottom of it.  A taste of things to come for Marple?  - I hope so! (although probably with an Asda but you can't have everything!).