Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Costa Coffee comes to Marple  (Read 60458 times)

Marplemum

Re: Costa Coffee comes to Marple
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
I wish anyone who starts a business all the best, business can only bring good things.

I agree.  When I went into Costa for the first time recently, I was served by a local young person and recognised a few others working in there.  This can only be a good thing for Marple.  

On a slightly separate subject (maybe this should be posted somewhere else?)  I went into Poynton today, down Park Lane.  Why am I telling you this you might ask?!!  Well, I again went into Costa at the bottom of Park Lane, right next to Waitrose.  I was pleasantly surprised and impressed to see that Park Lane was buzzing with Saturday shoppers, despite the fact that there was a Costa Coffee and a very large Waitrose at the bottom of it.  A taste of things to come for Marple?  - I hope so! (although probably with an Asda but you can't have everything!).

Duke Fame

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »
pleasant addition to Marple , makes a change to have something open other then a £1 or bankrupt stock shop.

Thanks to the staff for returning a scarf I had left behind and the telephone number for this Costa Coffee Marple outlet is 0161 926 7719.

( you cannot currently find this number elsewhere on the web !  - I had to contact another franchise branch to find it out)

In fairness to the new Bankrupt outlet, we only have one in Marple and one pound style shop. There are plenty places for a pricey coffee and over-priced sticky cake.

I wish anyone who starts a business all the best, business can only bring good things.

moorendman

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2012, 12:05:33 PM »
pleasant addition to Marple , makes a change to have something open other then a £1 or bankrupt stock shop.

Thanks to the staff for returning a scarf I had left behind and the telephone number for this Costa Coffee Marple outlet is 0161 926 7719.

( you cannot currently find this number elsewhere on the web !  - I had to contact another franchise branch to find it out)

Cripes

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2012, 12:53:33 AM »
i have been informed that the franchise owner is local but not sure ?
When you say local, do you mean that they live in Marple, pay their council tax and contribute to the local economy or just that you remember a member of their famly from twenty years or so ago?

amazon

« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2012, 08:37:04 PM »
"They have the EMA at the moment, they don't have to do any work to supplement their lifestyle. It should all change when the government abolish it. "

EMA isn't payable any more, and all the students I know all have part time jobs to supplement their life style, and those that ha vent try hard to get one!

That's good to hear, I think the EMA led to students who were not prepared for the work environment.

busy again this morning would seam to be doing OK

amazon

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »
Aren't we in danger of being a bit snobby here, Howard?  There are a lot of young people at the college and at Marple Hall who I'm sure would welcome a McDonalds or Subway with open arms (and mouths    :P )

I heard a rumour that Subway are moving next door to Costa Coffee.
Your'e a brave man!Rumour? :o The people of Marple don't like rumours,they may turn into fact!
  what do you think will happen to HSBC when it closes in two weeks .

sooty2

« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
Aren't we in danger of being a bit snobby here, Howard?  There are a lot of young people at the college and at Marple Hall who I'm sure would welcome a McDonalds or Subway with open arms (and mouths    :P )

Your'e a brave man!Rumour? :o The people of Marple don't like rumours,they may turn into fact!

thebigshed

« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »

Howard

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
As well as local employment, a franchise will retain a higher percentage of its profit locally compared to a nationally-owned chain where the profits go back centrally and contributes little other than providing employment and business rates to the local economy.

If a business can't be locally-owned then the next best alternative would be a franchise when compared to a national chain.

chicken lady

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2012, 06:32:59 PM »

well that's all right then  :P

Miss Marple

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »

Howard

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
Dave, I said:
I can't see Marple welcoming them in the way that Costa has been welcomed

This is nothing to do with my preference but that of the amorphous "Marple" entity. When they were much younger, I took my own kids to McDonalds for what they considered treats (Happy Meals toys etc) and I have been known to wolf down a Meatball Sub on the odd occasion.

For whatever reason, and I'm happy to be proved wrong, my impression is that the nice interiors at Costa (armchairs, wooden tables etc) contribute towards the feeling that, as a chain, it is considered superior in some way to the bright tiled plastic interiors at, for example, McDonalds.

That's too many commas and sub-clauses, but I expect you get my drift.

Dave

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »

Howard

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
Isn't it a franchise like the Spar ? 

You are correct, Miss M. However, so are McDonalds and Subway and I can't see Marple welcoming them in the way that Costa has been welcomed. Some franchises have a better image than others.

Miss Marple

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Isn't it a franchise like the Spar ?