RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: rose hill and marple station ticket offices to shut !  (Read 13004 times)

Smithy166

Re: rose hill and marple station ticket offices to shut !
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »
I agree.  In a way, having self-service machines could protect a station from closure, because the station becomes so cheap to run that there's hardly any money to be saved by closing it! 

I can see Rose hill being closed as it's just awkward, it means trains can go no further and really we don't need two stations on the same line.

A decent amount of housing could go on the station site & along the line.

Or there might even be room for a *cough* SUPERMARKET *cough*  ;D

amazon

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
I agree.  In a way, having subversives machines could protect a station from closure, because the station becomes so cheap to run that there's hardly any money to be saved by closing it! 

I can see Rose hill being closed as it's just awkward, it means trains can go no further and really we don't need two stations on the same line.

And were will all the extra cars go if they close rose hill no room at Marple now

Barbara

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 05:28:08 PM »
Try telling the people who campaigned for more trains to Rose Hill that it is not needed!  (And wear your hard hat while you do!) :D

Duke Fame

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »
I agree.  In a way, having self-service machines could protect a station from closure, because the station becomes so cheap to run that there's hardly any money to be saved by closing it! 

Dave

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »
Thats Odd, I swear i've red somewere a article suggesting that marple station was to be improved!
I'll be a bit brassed off if they close the ticket office, as it normally means the line will be next on the beeaching and sons chopping block.

Rose Hill possibly should be shut but self service stations do not mean closure.When I lived elsewhere, the station was far busier than either Rose Hill or Marple but no need for a ticket office, simply a few machines.

bluebelly

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 07:37:36 AM »
the stations will remain open, there will ticket machines installed. you will not be able to buy your ticket on the train. if you attempt to you will be charged afull priced single only, or be given a fixed penalty notice. no one will ever have an excuse for not having a ticket, as the machines will be accesable 24 hours a day , every day.

sgk

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:07:47 PM »
Thats Odd, I swear i've red somewere a article suggesting that marple station was to be improved!
I'll be a bit brassed off if they close the ticket office, as it normally means the line will be next on the beeaching and sons chopping block.

You're quite right Cpt.  Forum topic Marple train station : lift !.

Planning application DC/047839  Part 11 GPDO Development
Replacement footbridge and alterations at Marple Railway Station including extension to ticket building to provide toilet facilities.

Smithy166

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »

marpudlian

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »
Makes sense really, especially Rose Hill.

I have to agree. It is better to keep ticket prices down rather than have ticket offices when tickets can be bought on the train.

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »
Makes sense really, especially Rose Hill.

hollins

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »
Does anyone know how one finds out what category a particular station/ticket office is?

OK - attempting to answer my own post. That fount of all knowledge Wikipedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_railway_station_categories
lists:
Marple as category D (recommended for reduced hours)
Rose Hill, Romiley and New Mills as category E (recommended for closure)

Apparently all you have to do to change the category is get more passengers travelling from that station ...

bluebelly

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »
this echos of beeaching

hollins

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
The McNulty report can (at least at the time of writing in this forum) be found at:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/realising-the-potential-of-gb-rail/

Page 208 (of the whole report) recommends:
- Close all "Category E" ticket offices
- Reduce opening hours at "Category D" ticket offices (presumably to the 7am-10am suggested in the report?)

Does anyone know how one finds out what category a particular station/ticket office is?

The report is a recommendation only (and was commissioned by the previous government). It suggests (p215 of the whole report) implementation in 2013.

chicken lady

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »
That's a shame, particularly Rose Hill, the guy in the ticket office makes a real effort to keep the station and car park clean and tidy, and he is so pleasant.