Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: rose hill and marple station ticket offices to shut !  (Read 12993 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: rose hill and marple station ticket offices to shut !
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 06:50:21 PM »
isn't it strange how a name can stir memories i can remember how smart he allways looked 
My father was in business in Market Street and I remember him commenting on Mr S's gentlemanly conduct. When they came shoppingin the days when the street was open to traffic, he used to park the car, get out and walk round to the passenger side, open the door and hand Mrs S out of the car. Father was most impressed.

I was a student at Bangor 1968/71 and whenever I came home on the train Charlie would always greet me by name, ask me how long I was home for and give me a sweetie.

I believe the congregation at his funeral was so big it overflowed into the churchyard. I was sorry to miss it but I was working away.

Basementlife

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
Might I add that the present 'Station Master' at Rose Hill, Tony, is treasure for all the passengers who use the station, ever helpful and friendly, 5*

And come back 101s, at least a move up from the 'orrid MerseyRail cast-offs !

Dave

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:22 AM »
Too right, rsh - 'dark ages' says it all!   When you see the quality and capacity of the rolling stock in other parts of the country - not just London, but Leeds, Birmingham too - it's inexcusable that we are still putting up with such an appalling service.  I've just got back from a quick trip to the Isle of Wight.  There's a short (ten minute) shuttle train service between Brockenhurst, in the New Forest, and Lymington Pier, where the ferry goes from.  That service is operated by refurbished class 158 trains - they are smart, comfortable and roomy, and they even have a first class compartment - for a ten minute trip!    Meanwhile, we have to put up with clapped out old class 142s.     >:(

rsh

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2011, 01:17:05 AM »
Absolutely right Dave, particularly about the evening and (truly dreadful) Sunday service which seems to be stuck in the dark ages. Rose Hill was meant to be one of the first lines converted to light rail back in the '80s. Now we're more than 20 years on with the same cast-off trains, same useless timetable, ... The treatment from TfGM/GMPTE and the lack of drive from Stockport council is infuriating.

Marple would seem like finally being the next Metrolink destination after the latest extensions are completed, but I wouldn't be surprised if another line was pushed ahead again and we got another round of cast-off trains. (At the minute it seems Northern are at least laying on a few more Class 150s, which seem positively luxurious.)

In my opinion, this forum shouldn't be fretting about a damn supermarket, with an absolutely minute significance in the great scheme of things, we should be campaigning to get ourselves on the Metrolink map, to get the transport links we've been promised so long. New tram-trains and turn-up-and-go frequencies. If they could get the line built to Stockport as well as Manchester in our lifetime it would absolutely transform the entire area; genuinely the most important step for the town in the hundred odd years since the railways were first built here.

Barbara

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
No need to apologise for being grumpy Dave, the points you make are valid!  The trains are generally awful, with heating systems that can't be turned off in hot weather, broken seats, and really scruffy.  And the timings are poor too.  I feel like apologising to any visitors if they have to travel on them.  On the other hand I feel I can't really complain as I can travel on them for nowt being a poor old pensioner!!

Cheers, etc   :-\

amazon

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »
Nice to see the new information screen, although that hardly makes up for the fact that:

1.  We've got the worst trains on the entire UK rail network - i.e. those cramped, noisy and uncomfortable bus-like trains called class 142s.  Although I did read somewhere the other day that when the winter timetable starts in a week's time, we are due for an increase in capacity as some more ageing class 142 units are dumped on us because no other region will have them.    :(

2.  Since the unwelcome meddling of our councillors a year ago, the timings of daytime trains between Piccadilly and Marple, and Rose Hill, are hopeless.  To Marple: xx.45, and xx.03.  To Rose Hill xx.23 and xx36.  So there are two trains about 15 mins apart, then nothing for three-quarters of an hour!  :(

3.  The evening and Sunday services are pathetic. 

Sorry, feeling grumpy today......Its flaming Christmas .roll on the cricket season

Dave

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
Nice to see the new information screen, although that hardly makes up for the fact that:

1.  We've got the worst trains on the entire UK rail network - i.e. those cramped, noisy and uncomfortable bus-like trains called class 142s.  Although I did read somewhere the other day that when the winter timetable starts in a week's time, we are due for an increase in capacity as some more ageing class 142 units are dumped on us because no other region will have them.    :(

2.  Since the unwelcome meddling of our councillors a year ago, the timings of daytime trains between Piccadilly and Marple, and Rose Hill, are hopeless.  To Marple: xx.45, and xx.03.  To Rose Hill xx.23 and xx36.  So there are two trains about 15 mins apart, then nothing for three-quarters of an hour!  :(

3.  The evening and Sunday services are pathetic. 

Sorry, feeling grumpy today......

andy1881

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:16 AM »
It was showing departures on Thursday although that may have just been a test.

Was also showing arrivals which was a little confusing!

Andy

rsh

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 10:37:59 PM »
any body know when Marple station is being done new lifts booking office

Should be soon according to this:

Rail Station Accessibility Programme

8.1 Network Rail has developed “Access for All” schemes at the following Greater Manchester stations: Cheadle Hulme; Marple; Littleborough; and Manchester Oxford Road.

Marple: The scheme provides level access through the introduction of a new footbridge, lifts and accessible toilets. Network Rail forecast that work will commence on site in winter 2011/12 with practical completion forecast for summer 2012.

Source: http://www.transportforgreatermanchestercommittee.gov.uk/downloads/file/3378/item_07_local_rail_service_performance_and_station_issues

Meanwhile the new information screen at Rose Hill is now installed and powered up, though not displaying any departures yet.

Good to see this 19th Century station brought into the 21st!

amazon

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
If you go to latest pictures then  search then rose hill you will find a few photographs of rose hill station Ray
any body know when Marple station is being done new lifts booking office .[ will possibly be better when it does close went to Marple station to book some tcks to winderemere it was closed this was dinner time ended up going to stockport , tcks were for sat travel stockport said enginering works that day you will have to travel vi man vic then Bolton then preston for the train to oxenholme we did find out there were no engineering works that day , the train started man airport called at oxford road . to make things even worse
 it forgot to stop at oxenholme went straight on to carlse , rolling stock may have changed but the rest is just as bad     

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »
If you go to latest pictures then  search then rose hill you will find a few photographs of rose hill station Ray

heather

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »
isn't it strange how a name can stir memories i can remember how smart he allways looked 

rsh

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »
I noticed yesterday what looks like the concrete base for a ticket machine (with a tube for electrical wires sticking out the back) on the platform at Romiley station, so it seems they're coming... Not sure if this will directly impact booking office hours yet?

Also, the support beam for a passenger information display (live departures board) is now up at Rose Hill.

Miss Marple

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 08:55:07 PM »
I wonder if there are any pictures of him that can be put on the site.  I think that would be a fantastic tribute. I know the family so will ask if they have any photos of Charlie at Rose Hill Station he kept it so nice and I agree he was a true gentleman.

Hey Harry now I know you have not just left college  ;)

Harry

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
Mr Seisay is still sadly missed the station was a credit to him !

Very true. Charlie was a real gentleman.