Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: rose hill and marple station ticket offices to shut !  (Read 13001 times)

Miss Marple

Re: rose hill and marple station ticket offices to shut !
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 08:08:18 PM »
Mr Seisay is still sadly missed the station was a credit to him !

tina

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 04:32:22 PM »

I don't often use Rose Hill - the trains are more frequent and reliable (but overcrowded) at Marple - but I have to confess the Friends of Rose Hill Station have done an admirable job on the gardens.

They keep the station looking very nice all year round, I often see them on a sunday :D

hollins

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »
Rose Hill STATION most assuredly isn't closing - just POSSIBLY the TICKET OFFICE.

IF it happens - and it's a big if, because the report recommending it was commissioned by the previous government - then it would simply mean ticket machines rather than humankind to greet you on the platform.

I don't often use Rose Hill - the trains are more frequent and reliable (but overcrowded) at Marple - but I have to confess the Friends of Rose Hill Station have done an admirable job on the gardens.

ringi

As to the question of closing Rose Hill Station, it is not easy…
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
A lot of people walk to Rose Hill that will choose to drive to Maple if Rose Hill was closed, Marple station would then need a LOT more parking.  As it is too far for a lot of people to walk (and some people don’t have a car) a bus would also need to be provided that linked in with train times – this would not be a bad think to have anyway.

A lot of School Children use Rose Hill Station, would the parents just drive them to School if the station closed.

There are two sets of train track into Manchester, so trains from Marple need to go both ways to serve the other stations on the two set of lines, therefore the saving from having a single Marple station are not that great.

It is easy for a train to wait at Rose Hill until it’s time to return to Manchester, has Marple station got enough space to turn round enough trains?

However we can still fit in a Super Market without closing the Station by using some of the other land round it.   More jobs would be created at the Super Market then lost at the few companies that would need closing.  However I would rather have one large new supermarket for all of Maple, then have two new smaller supermarkets.

Henry_

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »
A proposed new supermarket on the site of Rose Hill station might see the Spar and Raja Bros unite in a campaign of opposition  ;D

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
actually I'd argue that its because theres a lot of big wigs who pay themselves far too much money and this country could save a lot more by cutting their wages and bonuses and pensions a little bit instead of getting rid of a few blokes in ticket offices...

public sector jobs included in that...

Duke Fame

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »
the stations arnt closeing,just the ticket office. if it saves 5p on a ticket or saves some one a minute queing ,then am sure its well worth the job of the person working there. what selfish place we live in!!!!

That may be 'nice' to keep people in jobs for the sake of it but that's why we've had over-bloated organisations and huge tax biils adn why it's so expensive to do anything within the UK.

It's like the public sector cuts, they may seem harsh but it's the right thing to do.

bluebelly

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 01:03:04 PM »
the stations arnt closeing,just the ticket office. if it saves 5p on a ticket or saves some one a minute queing ,then am sure its well worth the job of the person working there. what selfish place we live in!!!!

rsh

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
Hasn't the station been automated before?  And then put back to manned?
Yes! I remember the weird old cylindrical ticket machine there that barely worked.

Ironically Northern Rail weren't interested a few years ago when I asked if they had plans to install ticket machines at Marple or Rose Hill. If you arrive when either ticket office is shut and have to buy a ticket on the train you can be at Ashburys before the guard reaches you. Sometimes they never reach the end of a train and a throng of people have to queue on the platform for a ticket at Piccadilly.

It is "nice" to have the Rose Hill office manned during the morning, but hardly essential. A 24hr ticket machine would actually be far more useful, and if we're ever to see Metrolink extended here it'd just be a precursor to how those stops operate anyway.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 10:02:30 AM »
rose hill will never be closed!  Its been kept open or years regardless of rumours and regardless of lack of use .. Sure when we were young (some of us!) it was always said that a network rail bigwig lived in Rose hill and that was why it was kept open!!   Marple Whispers :D

Hasn't the station been automated before?  And then put back to manned?

Duke Fame

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
"Humorous" response almost certain to be taken the wrong way overwritten. Admin.

tina

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 10:33:37 PM »
Hey Daniel, I had a conversation with one of my neighbours the other day saying how great it would be if the supermarket was built on Rose Hill Train station... Are you stalking me and taking notes of all my conversations?

It would be equally wrong to place it there. It must be within the town centre.

It was a joke!  (I did have the convo though, but was joking!!) Lighten up!

Duke Fame

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
Hey Daniel, I had a conversation with one of my neighbours the other day saying how great it would be if the supermarket was built on Rose Hill Train station... Are you stalking me and taking notes of all my conversations?

It would be equally wrong to place it there. It must be within the town centre.

tina

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 09:57:57 PM »
I agree.  In a way, having self-service machines could protect a station from closure, because the station becomes so cheap to run that there's hardly any money to be saved by closing it!  

I can see Rose hill being closed as it's just awkward, it means trains can go no further and really we don't need two stations on the same line.

A decent amount of housing could go on the station site & along the line.

Or there might even be room for a *cough* SUPERMARKET *cough*  ;D

Duke Fame

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »
I agree.  In a way, having subversives machines could protect a station from closure, because the station becomes so cheap to run that there's hardly any money to be saved by closing it! 

I can see Rose hill being closed as it's just awkward, it means trains can go no further and really we don't need two stations on the same line.

A decent amount of housing could go on the station site & along the line.
                       And were will all the extra cars go if they close rose hill no room at Marple now

The car park at Rose hill is very small.

If Network rail sold the site & track bed, I'm sure there would be more than enough spare cash to build an extra storey in Marple station car-park