Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane  (Read 96764 times)

SkyGuy

Re: YES to a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »
Tina,

I don't think the issue is whether or not a person has lived in Marple all of their life or have only just moved here.
The fact of the matter is if you don't like what Marple has to offer or it's shops fail to suit your lifestyle or budget then move, it really is that simple.
Next you will be wanting a Mecca bingo and a cash converter just to suit the needs of the impoverished few.
Oh and it's Marks and Spencer by the way.

tina

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »
Having just read through the Yes campaign's Facebook page, I feel I must raise my concerns. How are we supposed to take their campaign seriously when they seem to be advocating other new businesses such as Wetherspoons, MacDonalds, Primark, B&M, Soccer Sports etc. In my opinion, it is the very lack of such low grade, low quality places that makes Marple the special place it is. If all of these businesses were to open, Marple would lose its individual feel and become just another soulless, tacky, clone town. If these are the kinds of shops that the people supporting the Yes campaign really want, I would suggest that they move somewhere where these shops already exist. Why would they choose to live in a town that doesn't cater to their needs? Don't try and change our town just to fit your requirements when there are other places clearly far more suited to your lifestyle.

I think you will find that those comments were made by people who have lived in marple all their lives and didn't move into Marple.

Low grade shops! really!  How stuck up do you sound! would you prefer they wanted a marks and spensers and John Lewis? 

Duke Fame

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »
Having just read through the Yes campaign's Facebook page, I feel I must raise my concerns. How are we supposed to take their campaign seriously when they seem to be advocating other new businesses such as Wetherspoons, MacDonalds, Primark, B&M, Soccer Sports etc. In my opinion, it is the very lack of such low grade, low quality places that makes Marple the special place it is. If all of these businesses were to open, Marple would lose its individual feel and become just another soulless, tacky, clone town. If these are the kinds of shops that the people supporting the Yes campaign really want, I would suggest that they move somewhere where these shops already exist. Why would they choose to live in a town that doesn't cater to their needs? Don't try and change our town just to fit your requirements when there are other places clearly far more suited to your lifestyle.

I don't think anyone should dictate the sort of shop that opens it's doors in Marple by that Netto or Waitrose. I do think we have a say on what is built and an identikit retail park is not for a small town like Marple.

SkyGuy

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
My point exactly Tina has anyone asked anyone what they want ? NO they haven't and this is the whole point.  HIBBERT lane and surrounding areas have not been asked, I have not been asked, HAVE YOU ?

My instinct is that anyone prepared to risk their money in opening a retail business should be supported. If it's within the current retail area, then it's down to market research as to if the public want it. If they don't want a supermarket, it will not be used & will go bust.

I'd like any new store to compliment the existing shops hence, I support a new store in hte existing shops. I still think the co-op would be best advised in pusuading M&co to cross the road to the old supermarket unit and for the M&co store to be offered to a supermarket such as Morrisons who have explicitly said their strategy is to have more presence on hte high street. This may see the Co-op losing some trade but nowhere near the destruction of business that would be seen if the college site was turned over.

tina

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
My point exactly Tina has anyone asked anyone what they want ? NO they haven't and this is the whole point.  HIBBERT lane and surrounding areas have not been asked, I have not been asked, HAVE YOU ?

Nope I've not been asked either, but I would like to know the facts for my own decision to be made and not scared whitless.
I'm for a new supermarket I make no secret of it. I do however know friends who don't want it and respect their views, I believe everyone should have a voice, and by having a voice their view should be respected too.

Miss Marple

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »

tina

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
@tina Apologises, I thought that the statement with regards to supermarket resrictions was "outside the box", hence why I thought someone had made it up!
From what I've read in this thread, and in others, Its clear that some people have different versions of exactly what they want, ranging from people not wanting a supermarket full stop, to people wanting a "large" supermarket to be built on the old college site. This, unfortunatly, is causing arguements, and dissagrements. Now, I personnally wouldn't mind a small supermarket on chadkirk street, and I know alot of people wouldn't mind the same (espically as it gives those of us who are less priviliged a place to shop cheaply). but unfortunatly It would appear that whichever superstore comes to marple will, at some point, build a big store in a place that isn't really suited for it.

@ Daniel apology noted.

You don't mind a small store being built on Chadwick Street... Have you asked the residents what they think?

Smithy166

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »
@tina Apologises, I thought that the statement with regards to supermarket resrictions was "outside the box", hence why I thought someone had made it up!
From what I've read in this thread, and in others, Its clear that some people have different versions of exactly what they want, ranging from people not wanting a supermarket full stop, to people wanting a "large" supermarket to be built on the old college site. This, unfortunatly, is causing arguements, and dissagrements. Now, I personnally wouldn't mind a small supermarket on chadkirk street, and I know alot of people wouldn't mind the same (espically as it gives those of us who are less priviliged a place to shop cheaply). but unfortunatly It would appear that whichever superstore comes to marple will, at some point, build a big store in a place that isn't really suited for it.

JMC

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »
I would be more than happy to use a supermarket IF it was A. small and B. Located within the business district of marple, as that area is going to be able to cope with the increased numbers of cars and padestrians.  

Increased numbers of cars and pedestrains would still mean more cars/trucks up Dan Bank/other roads in and out of Marple.

It sounds like some people don't mind a small supermarket as they know it won't be any cheaper really than the Co-op or threaten their businesses. I really understand why shop owners worry about competition as they cannot possibly compete with the big 4. BUT, I think people should also understand that those on a low income really need somewhere to do their shopping. There are so many things you have to go to Stockport for, for example. Bus fare may not be much to some people in Marple, but for others it makes a real difference if on a low income. It seems people aren't really considering this.

It also comes accross as abit 'NIMBY'ish that people with cars etc. choose to go to Hazel grove/Romiley/Hyde supermarkets yet wish to deny that choice (to get cheaper shopping) to others. Surely people can see that people on a low income would really like a store to be built there (Hibbert Lane) because it can be big and have everything under one roof.

Also,  if it is Chadwick street that a proposed small store would be, do you really think residents there would mind? If they do, will people be campaigning then? Or would the people who live around Hibbert lane and object just breathe a sigh of relief?

As has been said on this thread and others, most people use supermarkets anyway these days. Things like newspapers can be read online for free. It's not just the big retailers that are putting shops out of business. As has been pointed out, many shops in Marple have closed (sadly) since the Co-op or for other reasons.

Henry_

« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
The reality is that only on 'Planet MIA' does anyone believe that it would be remotely possible to prevent a supermarket from selling flowers and newspapers.    ::)

;D

Dave

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »
The reality is that only on 'Planet MIA' does anyone believe that it would be remotely possible to prevent a supermarket from selling flowers and newspapers.    ::)

tina

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
I Speak for myself here, and no-one else.
I would be more than happy to use a supermarket IF it was A. small and B. Located within the business district of marple, as that area is going to be able to cope with the increased numbers of cars and padestrians. It would also have strong links with both the bus service and be a short walk to the train station. Building it in what is effectively the middle of no-were shopwise seems stupid, as A. the main road simply won't cope (although it looks calm now, your forgetting about the stupid juction by TP, and the bridge near the goyt mill) B. the noise pollution that would be generated by the cars, people etc would be unbareable, After all, the college only generates noise during the day, when most poeple are at work, or shopping etc. The same applies to light pollution. Granted, CO2 emmisions might not change if the supermarket was built in the centre of marple, but the emmisions would, however, be closer to a carbon sink (the park) and would not be as close to peoples homes.
I could also say how the yes campagin can alllow a supermarket that could POTENTUALLY Be the final nail in the coffin for marples village atmosphere (which we are stupidly lucky to have). I could also ask them how they can be affiliated with the various graffiti tags saying "vote tesco" around marple? (although i'm not saying that anyone in the YES campaign is responsible, or are in any way affiliated with the tagging)
Also, were did MIA State that they would impose conditions on what the shop could sell?
M.I.A. Dares because they care   ;D

Disclaimer :
Any oppinions expressed in the above article are those of the writer, and the writer only.
All items mentioned are opinnion unless otherwise stated.
Non of the above post is designed as scaremongering.

Below is taken directly from the MIA page from the heading have your say   scroll down to the bottom Daniel and you will see the following:
Marple in Action is NOT against another supermarket opening in Marple, but think that it should:

Be of a suitable size to serve the population of Marple.

Be located in the town centre, where it would be more appropriate and benefit our local shops.

Have conditions imposed so that it can only sell groceries (no flowers, newspapers, stationery, clothes, shoes, electrical goods) so that it doesn't impact on local shops too much.

We feel that there must be better uses of the land that would benefit the whole community of Marple, such as affordable housing for young families or retired people, a community centre and/or health centre, more facilities for the youth of Marple

your question was: Also, were did MIA State that they would impose conditions on what the shop could sell?
The answer is in black and white!

Also the 'yes' group are in no way affiliated to any graffiti what so ever! we do not want this to happen and if you remember when you made a false allegation as to the burning of posters you was corrected by myself that it was not part of the 'yes' group. So please stop trying to stir trouble up! We can not be blamed for a few small minded people who feel free to deface our community.
 we are a group of people who have actually stood up and said we don't agree with the statements from MIA, they claim to speak for Marple BUT they are NOT. By speaking to people around Marple not everyone is against a new supermarket and feel that MIA are making statements on their behalf what they do not agree to.

Smithy166

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »
I Speak for myself here, and no-one else.
I would be more than happy to use a supermarket IF it was A. small and B. Located within the business district of marple, as that area is going to be able to cope with the increased numbers of cars and padestrians. It would also have strong links with both the bus service and be a short walk to the train station. Building it in what is effectively the middle of no-were shopwise seems stupid, as A. the main road simply won't cope (although it looks calm now, your forgetting about the stupid juction by TP, and the bridge near the goyt mill) B. the noise pollution that would be generated by the cars, people etc would be unbareable, After all, the college only generates noise during the day, when most poeple are at work, or shopping etc. The same applies to light pollution. Granted, CO2 emmisions might not change if the supermarket was built in the centre of marple, but the emmisions would, however, be closer to a carbon sink (the park) and would not be as close to peoples homes.
I could also say how the yes campagin can alllow a supermarket that could POTENTUALLY Be the final nail in the coffin for marples village atmosphere (which we are stupidly lucky to have). I could also ask them how they can be affiliated with the various graffiti tags saying "vote tesco" around marple? (although i'm not saying that anyone in the YES campaign is responsible, or are in any way affiliated with the tagging)
Also, were did MIA State that they would impose conditions on what the shop could sell?
M.I.A. Dares because they care   ;D

Disclaimer :
Any oppinions expressed in the above article are those of the writer, and the writer only.
All items mentioned are opinnion unless otherwise stated.
Non of the above post is designed as scaremongering.

sooty2

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
i don,t think a lot of MIA know about that or agree with it!