Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 711158 times)

alison

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #893 on: September 05, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »
Right, so any advance on sponsoring a booklet?

My understanding is that they are sponsors of the Marple Festival this year and last year, not just a booklet.

The cooperative group supports a number of local, national and international initiatives. I don't have the individual details, but there is a lot of stuff on the website. I did find a very interesting link on the website about the Community Fund which allocates smaller grants to local initiatives where you can search by postcode, a few in Marple came up - I'm not really sure how to add links but I'll give it a go
http://www.co-operative.coop/membership/local-communities/community-map/.

I work for the cooperative so I cannot claim independance, but my experience is they support their staff in involvement in volunteering work for the benefit of the community. I cannot comment further and can't enter into any discussion, but there are links on their website for Customer Relations if you want any further information.

mabel

« Reply #892 on: September 05, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
This refers to the possibility that Marple Hall might apply to become an Academy, and that if they succeed, they might try to start a sixth-from.  This is the irresponsible line being taken by one of our councillors, with whom I have had a recent exchange of emails.  Even if that were to happen (and it's a very big 'if'!), it would be some years off, and would require substantial capital funds for building new accommodation at the school - and where would that come from?    ::)  Don't forget, camsfc has over 1,000 full-time equivalent students at its Marple sites - taking on that number in a new sixth-form at Marple Hall would almost double the size of the school, and would make it one of the largest schools in the UK!  As Miss M herself says, 'keep it real'.   It ain't going to happen......

The point here is that the college's finance is dependant on the number of students it recruits. Even if Marple Hall had a small sixth form of about 150 students it would still make a considerable impact on the college.  There are several other schools such as Stamford in Ashton and Avondale in Stockport which became academies relatively quickly.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #891 on: September 05, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »

My understanding is that they are sponsors of the Marple Festival this year and last year, not just a booklet.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #890 on: September 05, 2011, 12:31:11 PM »
Yes, Cllr Bispham has replied to me as well.

I'm interested in messages, not messengers.  And I'm not at all impressed by the argument that the college should be prevented from making the very best possible improvements for its students, because a school down the road might possibly become an academy one day, and if it does then might possibly start up a sixth form, which could never be remotely big enough to take all the college's students anyway.   

But I'm a peace-loving guy, Miss M.   I'm not shooting anyone - and if I did no doubt I'd miss.   ;D

Miss Marple

« Reply #889 on: September 05, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »
Hi Dave have you not had a reply from Andrew Bispham ?  That's where I am gaining my information from.  If I was you I would get on to him and see where you reply is  :-\. Stop shooting the messenger  ;D

Dave

« Reply #888 on: September 05, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »
Keeping it real would entail the provision of unequivocal evidence of plans for the Hibbert Lane site. The only evidence so far appears to be anecdotal and/or circumstantial.

This, as far as it goes, is the 'unequivocal evidence' available to us:
 http://www.camsfc.ac.uk/cmsfc-about.asp?AboID=90

I agree that there is far too much gossip and rumour, including nonsense such as that the college is in a financial mess, or highly improbable scenarios, such as that it might close both Marple sites and move away altogether.    ::)  And then there's this kind of thing:
Tina I suggest you attend the rally and get first hand the possible plans for Marple Hall and how that may effect the college plans.  

This refers to the possibility that Marple Hall might apply to become an Academy, and that if they succeed, they might try to start a sixth-from.  This is the irresponsible line being taken by one of our councillors, with whom I have had a recent exchange of emails.  Even if that were to happen (and it's a very big 'if'!), it would be some years off, and would require substantial capital funds for building new accommodation at the school - and where would that come from?    ::)  Don't forget, camsfc has over 1,000 full-time equivalent students at its Marple sites - taking on that number in a new sixth-form at Marple Hall would almost double the size of the school, and would make it one of the largest schools in the UK!  As Miss M herself says, 'keep it real'.   It ain't going to happen......

tina

« Reply #887 on: September 04, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »
Tina I suggest you attend the rally and get first hand the possible plans for Marple Hall and how that may effect the college plans.  Please keep this real and do not continue to try to belittle me.  The invitation is still open to Mum of 2 and yourself if you want to meet with MIA   I am only informing you of what our informers are informing us, how many more times do I have to reiterate this , please stop shooting the messenger.

I am not trying to belittle you MM, just asking a question if it was still to your knowledge. I have a valid reason for asking.
I would like to attend the rally as I really do want to know what the plans are. Thank you for the invite.

Miss Marple

« Reply #886 on: September 04, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
HWL at last we agree !  Now then,  I have tried to obtain all you suggest but to no avail,  do you think you could have  a go  ???  You  may succeed where I have failed and then   all the community may have a idea as to what is going on.  Good Luck MM

Henry_

« Reply #885 on: September 04, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
Tina I suggest you attend the rally and get first hand the possible plans for Marple Hall and how that may effect the college plans.  Please keep this real and do not continue to try to belittle me.  The invitation is still open to Mum of 2 and yourself if you want to meet with MIA   I am only informing you of what our informers are informing us, how many more times do I have to reiterate this , please stop shooting the messenger.

Keeping it real would entail the provision of unequivocal evidence of plans for the Hibbert Lane site. The only evidence so far appears to be anecdotal and/or circumstantial.

Henry_

« Reply #884 on: September 04, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
i think the point thats been made hollins is that the big supermarket chains really dont give a toss about their neighbours or local people.  The coop regardless of their high prices are historically a community organisation and still remain so.  Just maybe that is why there is less impact from the coop? 

Can someone please supply evidence of the co-op in Marple engaging in community activities and events?
Look in the "marple festival" booklet that was pushed through your door, the Co-op sponsored it!

Right, they've sponsored a booklet. Anything slightly more impressive than that that they've done?
Sponsoring the booklet was a damn site more than the "big 4" generally do! Yes, they have those silly schemes were you spend X amount and get vouchers, but have you seen the amount of vouchers a school has to collect before they can use them? The amount is rediculous, Were taking 100 for 1 football! And even then that footballs probobly made in china by 12 year olds earning 5P a year working 20 hour shifts 7 days a week!

Smithy166

« Reply #883 on: September 04, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »
i think the point thats been made hollins is that the big supermarket chains really dont give a toss about their neighbours or local people.  The coop regardless of their high prices are historically a community organisation and still remain so.  Just maybe that is why there is less impact from the coop? 

Can someone please supply evidence of the co-op in Marple engaging in community activities and events?
Look in the "marple festival" booklet that was pushed through your door, the Co-op sponsored it!

Right, they've sponsored a booklet. Anything slightly more impressive than that that they've done?
Sponsoring the booklet was a damn site more than the "big 4" generally do! Yes, they have those silly schemes were you spend X amount and get vouchers, but have you seen the amount of vouchers a school has to collect before they can use them? The amount is rediculous, Were taking 100 for 1 football! And even then that footballs probobly made in china by 12 year olds earning 5P a year working 20 hour shifts 7 days a week!

Miss Marple

« Reply #882 on: September 04, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »

Henry_

« Reply #881 on: September 04, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »

tina

« Reply #880 on: September 04, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »
Just heard from a friend who works at the college that the Big Boys from Tesco have already been into the college (Willows) on Hibbert Lane and are in talks with planning.  I do not know how true it is but I have been told that Tesco are requesting a roundabout where the newsagents is on the new road.  This will involve demolishing the swimming baths (over my dead body) and the newsagents.   As a sweetener to the out cry that will start once it is out there are plans to build a swimming complex on the Woodville site or in that vicinity.   Hope this is just a rumour but there is usually no smoke without fire!  My god ! I feel another petition coming on  :P

most of the hearsay on this website come from post's like this... MM is this still to your knowledge?
my point is that from the very beginning its posts like this what are scaring people into signing the petitions.

And the new scare is that oh actually the college are going to sell both sites and run with the money!

I do understand why some shops are worried, BUT locals do support you, we still shop at your shops, we just have to travel out of Marple to do our main shopping. Marple just doesn't offer the majority of its residents the goods we require at a reasonable price.

Smithy166

« Reply #879 on: September 04, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »