Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701813 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #848 on: August 30, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
The point about a new supermarket is that it is NOT 5 or 6 miles away - it's a few hundred yards away! I honestly believe that apart from the Co-op and Iceland, the currently thriving retailers in Marple (Littlewoods, White's, Neal's, Wilson's, Hollins, Archers, the pet shop, Harmony Decor, Edel Carpets, the car spares shops and many more) have nothing to fear from Tesco or Asda and evrything to gain. As for the views of these businesses themselves, I realise that their group has come out against the supermarket, but I wonder whether all members really share that views, or whether they may be closing ranks to protect their weaker members. I was in Scotland recently: Tesco are planning a new supermarket on the edge of Fort Wiliam, and the local chamber of commerce is all in favour. Interesting contrast there!   

I think you have a rose-tinted view here Dave. The bottom line is those shops you list (and others) very much believe their business would be affected by a supermarket moving in on Hibbert La. It's their business, it''s their jobs, it's their families jobs and more than likely it's their houses on the line and they are worried.

It's all very well for someone in a cushy public sector job who's never had to worry about anything more than choosing a nice sunny day to go on strike, business owners have taken a huge risk in setting up, growing their business or only to survive, they did not counter on a large superstore opening 10  mins up the road.

I'm not so sure about your observation Littlewoods, White's, Neal's, Wilson's, Hollins, Archers, the pet shop, Harmony Decor, Edel Carpets, the car spares shops etc are all thriving. I'd not be surprised if they are finding it as hard as other retailers and worried about going bust.

You may think people will shop in an identikit superstore, walk the 5 metres to their identikit car having brought some identikt shopping and then all of a sudden think "you know, I wonder if Littlewoods have some 24 day Aberdeen Angus in?, I'll walk the 10 minutes up the road to see.!" - I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Furthermore, those who actually put their money where their mouth is don't see it that way either.

Maria

« Reply #847 on: August 30, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
Maria, you write 'Re the Buxton site proposals nothing is confirmed either way you are of course right but it has been confirmed a sale is being considered'.

Confirmed? By whom?

I am sorry but the person has asked not to be named therefore I cannot say.  Time will tell if they do go ahead with it though I guess.  I will refrain from speculating any further from now on as to the sale/use etc of Buxton lane as nothing is definite just being considered.

Dave

« Reply #846 on: August 30, 2011, 05:12:41 PM »
Maria, you write 'Re the Buxton site proposals nothing is confirmed either way you are of course right but it has been confirmed a sale is being considered'.

Confirmed? By whom?

Maria

« Reply #845 on: August 30, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »
Hi it's not scaremongering, do you think I am of that low an intelligence !  This is based on the colleges financial situation, leaks from reliable people and working on this day after day , watching, questioning and evaluating.

I think you might be missing my point. If you get everyone in Marple outraged over an unlikely (in my opinion), worst-case situation, when the actual plans are revealed, if they aren't worst-case, many people will feel like we "won" because they all feared it would be worse, and the actual planning process will be easier for Asda/Tesco etc to navigate.

However, if you get everyone outraged over more modest (and in my opinion more likely) proposals, they'll be outraged if that's what is proposed, and even more so if the proposals are worst-case.

I'm not questioning your sources. In this case, your sources are saying that the college might end up selling both sites. And they are saying that Asda (and therefore a supermarket of some description) are the preferred bidders for Hibbert Lane. No arguments from me so far. However, your sources haven't said anything about the size of any supermarket - that is all guess-work by people based on what is physically possible on the site. Your sources also haven't said that Buxton Lane would also be sold to a supermarket chain, just that they're considering it, that was conjecture on the part of Maria. It's that guess-work and conjecture that I think is potentially dangerous scaremongering.

I hope you read my reply to your thread before-I am not scaremongering and in reality what I or you say on here will not alter the course of events anyway.  Re the Buxton site proposals nothing is confirmed either way you are of course right but it has been confirmed a sale is being considered and again most likely scenario would be to the highest bidder-as per the colleges current reasoning.  The size of the Hibbert lane site for now will be the existing building footprint/area the building is on-that has been confirmed by the college in an open discussion with me so it is not hearsay.  The area on the right currently the car park would for now remain as open space.

Henry_

« Reply #844 on: August 30, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
Hi it's not scaremongering, do you think I am of that low an intelligence !  This is based on the colleges financial situation, leaks from reliable people and working on this day after day , watching, questioning and evaluating.

I think you might be missing my point. If you get everyone in Marple outraged over an unlikely (in my opinion), worst-case situation, when the actual plans are revealed, if they aren't worst-case, many people will feel like we "won" because they all feared it would be worse, and the actual planning process will be easier for Asda/Tesco etc to navigate.

However, if you get everyone outraged over more modest (and in my opinion more likely) proposals, they'll be outraged if that's what is proposed, and even more so if the proposals are worst-case.

I'm not questioning your sources. In this case, your sources are saying that the college might end up selling both sites. And they are saying that Asda (and therefore a supermarket of some description) are the preferred bidders for Hibbert Lane. No arguments from me so far. However, your sources haven't said anything about the size of any supermarket - that is all guess-work by people based on what is physically possible on the site. Your sources also haven't said that Buxton Lane would also be sold to a supermarket chain, just that they're considering it, that was conjecture on the part of Maria. It's that guess-work and conjecture that I think is potentially dangerous scaremongering.

Very good post marpleexile. 2+2=5 in a lot of this.

marpleexile

« Reply #843 on: August 30, 2011, 03:59:09 PM »
Hi it's not scaremongering, do you think I am of that low an intelligence !  This is based on the colleges financial situation, leaks from reliable people and working on this day after day , watching, questioning and evaluating.

mum_of_2

« Reply #842 on: August 30, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »
I have received complaints about certain posts in this topic and they have been removed to a hidden area. As I am at work at the moment that is all I can currently do. People need to calm down, be more polite in what they post and also less ready to take offence when none may be intended. I will try to provide some guidelines about complaining later as I suspect we are going to need them. Admin

Thank you!

JMC

« Reply #841 on: August 30, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
Have you tried asking independent shops to deliver? I think that you would be pleasantly surprised at the number in Marple who will do this, especially as you have a health problem. Most of those that I know don't charge from the service as they work it in with their usual journeys home or when pcking up stock.

As for buggies and children in shops, perhaps a "child parking area" might be a good project for shopkeepers, parents or the Methodist chapel could get together on.

I haven't thought of asking them to be honest but if they do that and could advertise it would be great as not everyone is confident enough to ask and many disabilities are not obvious and people may be worried about disclosing them. If a list of shops who would deliver is avaliable in future it would be great. there would still eb the issue, though, that going round lots of shops takes a lot longer if you were to get a weeks worth. I used to try sticking to Marple and go to Iceland, Mulligans (loo roll etc) and Savers/Boots. However it is quite time and labour consuming compared to tesco/asda online for example. I do use the local shops quite alot though in the week for various bits.

Buggy parking area is a really good idea but when I had 2/3 at toddler age it would have been impossible to hold on to them and a trolly at the same time. Not sure recently but the co-op and Iceland never used to have twin trollies (with child seats). Sometimes it is plain easier to have a toddler in a trolley aswell when shopping.

mum_of_2

« Reply #840 on: August 30, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »

Oh and I agree re the responsibility of parents re children crossing roads etc but more cars trucks etc equals more risk.  
very true but there are worse areas to live where gun and knife crime are at peak....nowhere in this world is EVER going to be safe, but thats just something we have to deal with and make sure we talk through the risks with our children......but how many adults can honestly say they have ran accross a busy/main road without waiting for a green man etc......i have.

Agreed but as this is something we can have a say in and try to influence-unlike crime etc which will always happen wherever you live-I feel voicing an opinion, whether in favour or against, is something we are all entitled to do.
of corse you are entitled to an opinion and nobody is going to tell you otherwise...just as we are entitled to our opinions. i thin kwe should leave it at that before it bocomes petty argumentative opinions.

JMC

« Reply #839 on: August 30, 2011, 02:42:06 PM »
I think people living on Chadwick Street and Church Street would object to a supermarket being built where the sorting office is.

I agree.

Taurus

« Reply #838 on: August 30, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
I think people living on Chadwick Street and Church Street would object to a supermarket being built where the sorting office is.

Maria

« Reply #837 on: August 30, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »

Oh and I agree re the responsibility of parents re children crossing roads etc but more cars trucks etc equals more risk.  
very true but there are worse areas to live where gun and knife crime are at peak....nowhere in this world is EVER going to be safe, but thats just something we have to deal with and make sure we talk through the risks with our children......but how many adults can honestly say they have ran accross a busy/main road without waiting for a green man etc......i have.

Agreed but as this is something we can have a say in and try to influence-unlike crime etc which will always happen wherever you live-I feel voicing an opinion, whether in favour or against, is something we are all entitled to do.

Maria

« Reply #836 on: August 30, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
I agree that a supermarket would be much more suitable in the centre of Marple but It is the college that is selling up so i think it's pointless saying where else it could be.

Although I will  not like the fact that the roads will be alot busier and less safe, this doesn't matter much to me because I have a gate to lock so my child can't get out without me.

It is not really pointless to say where another store could be-the planning application may rely on the argument there is no other location when clearly there is.  Any sale is subject to planning so all points will make a difference.

Smithy166

« Reply #835 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »
If this new supermarket goes Ahead we will have 2 supermarkets to choose from anyway, as the Co-op is not going to dissapear overnight!

Maria

« Reply #834 on: August 30, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
The college via informants does however have in mind the option of selling both its Marple sites and relocating elsewhere so we could end up with 2 huge stores to choose from. 

Seriously? You do realise that you're playing into Asda/Tesco hands with these sort of scaremongering comments!

I have no idea on the likelihood of the college selling both plots of land, but I'm very confident that if they do, we won't get two supermarkets. I can't for a second imagine that there would be a business case for, say, Tesco opening up on Buxton, if there's already an Asda on Hibbert.

It's much more likely that the land would be sold for housing development. But, if you keep scaring everybody into thinking it's going to be much much worse than it is, the plans they finally do submit will look reasonable, by comparison, and will stand a better chance of passing. And Asda/Tesco won't have had to make any compromises.

It is not scaremongering when it has been confirmed as something in the long term plans of the college.  You will also note I referred to the fact we could end up with 2 supermarkets to choose from-not we will. It is a possibility but agreed unlikely. Scaremongering would be to say we are getting a supermarket when we are not, we are getting one if the college get their way so guesswork re the size etc is far from scaremongering.  I am entitled to post my views and to date have said very little, if anything, to scare people.