Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701728 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #833 on: August 30, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
Miss M, I'm afraid your inability to provide any evidence for your 'more than just a rumour' that the college will relocate out or Marple leaves us with little alternative to regarding it as scaremongering.

Give me time !

Dave

« Reply #832 on: August 30, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »
Miss M, I'm afraid your inability to provide any evidence for your 'more than just a rumour' that the college will relocate out or Marple leaves us with little alternative to regarding it as scaremongering.

Miss Marple

« Reply #831 on: August 30, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »
Hi it's not scaremongering, do you think I am of that low an intelligence !  This is based on the colleges financial situation, leaks from reliable people and working on this day after day , watching, questioning and evaluating.

marpleexile

« Reply #830 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »
The college via informants does however have in mind the option of selling both its Marple sites and relocating elsewhere so we could end up with 2 huge stores to choose from. 

Seriously? You do realise that you're playing into Asda/Tesco hands with these sort of scaremongering comments!

I have no idea on the likelihood of the college selling both plots of land, but I'm very confident that if they do, we won't get two supermarkets. I can't for a second imagine that there would be a business case for, say, Tesco opening up on Buxton, if there's already an Asda on Hibbert.

It's much more likely that the land would be sold for housing development. But, if you keep scaring everybody into thinking it's going to be much much worse than it is, the plans they finally do submit will look reasonable, by comparison, and will stand a better chance of passing. And Asda/Tesco won't have had to make any compromises.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #829 on: August 30, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »
I have received complaints about certain posts in this topic and they have been removed to a hidden area. As I am at work at the moment that is all I can currently do. People need to calm down, be more polite in what they post and also less ready to take offence when none may be intended. I will try to provide some guidelines about complaining later as I suspect we are going to need them. Admin

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #828 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »
Firstly, none of my kids are obese (as someone made a hint at earlier many kids being these days). They walk plenty. Have you yourself got children? Have you ever tried doing a weekly shop with them? Carried shopping for 7/8/9 people on a bus? I do walk alot but have health issues which would mean I can't carry alot of heavy shopping up a hill. If I had lots of money and more time then shopping in Marple itself would be great. However, many shops are not easily accesible with a pram, i have been tutted at before now for blocking the aisles. Iceland is impossible with a double buggy etc etc.
Have you tried asking independent shops to deliver? I think that you would be pleasantly surprised at the number in Marple who will do this, especially as you have a health problem. Most of those that I know don't charge from the service as they work it in with their usual journeys home or when pcking up stock.

As for buggies and children in shops, perhaps a "child parking area" might be a good project for shopkeepers, parents or the Methodist chapel could get together on.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #827 on: August 30, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
The college via informants does however have in mind the option of selling both its Marple sites and relocating elsewhere so we could end up with 2 huge stores to choose from. 
So the College is resorting to threats is it? Sounds as though they are running scared!

mum_of_2

« Reply #826 on: August 30, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
I agree that some people can do internet shopping, I do. But before I added up that it costs over 200 quid a year!! Mine varies between 4-6 pounds a week for delivery so it could top 300 quid. It's not free at all and with a large family we spend quite a lot. Not everyone can spare that money.

You said before, you an't walk and don't have a car. If you get the bus from one end of marple to another it's £1.25 each way. You say you take all your kids shopping so that must be 60p each on top so if you get a delivery, you have saved £2.50 for yourself & £1.20 for each offspring. Your marginal cost for delivery can be as little as 30p assuming you only have one child, if you have more than one, you are in the money.

Firstly, none of my kids are obese (as someone made a hint at earlier many kids being these days). They walk plenty. Have you yourself got children? Have you ever tried doing a weekly shop with them? Carried shopping for 7/8/9 people on a bus? I do walk alot but have health issues which would mean I can't carry alot of heavy shopping up a hill. If I had lots of money and more time then shopping in Marple itself would be great. However, many shops are not easily accesible with a pram, i have been tutted at before now for blocking the aisles. Iceland is impossible with a double buggy etc etc.
I totally agree!! When i had my double buggy (which infact was a slim one to fit through a standard door way) i lost track of how many times i got stuck so i can understand exactly where you are coming from. Akso its hard enough going round the marple shops getting everything you need in one run and piling it onto the buggy whilst keeping tabs on your other children.....there is no way i would try getting on a bus aswel wh screaming hungry children ad gettin funny looks from the public....and even snootish remarks.....it ould be nice to have convenince of being in one place close to home

JMC

« Reply #825 on: August 30, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
I agree that some people can do internet shopping, I do. But before I added up that it costs over 200 quid a year!! Mine varies between 4-6 pounds a week for delivery so it could top 300 quid. It's not free at all and with a large family we spend quite a lot. Not everyone can spare that money.

You said before, you an't walk and don't have a car. If you get the bus from one end of marple to another it's £1.25 each way. You say you take all your kids shopping so that must be 60p each on top so if you get a delivery, you have saved £2.50 for yourself & £1.20 for each offspring. Your marginal cost for delivery can be as little as 30p assuming you only have one child, if you have more than one, you are in the money.

Dave

« Reply #824 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
Moorendman writes 'Two further rhetorical questions for you Dave. Firstly what new shops do you really believe would come to Marple, bearing in mind that smaller shops are suffering loss of trade from superstores 5 or 6 miles away anyway? Secondly  if you believe that new retailers would open, would you not expect that view to be supported by a more postive attitude from the existing community of independent retailers in Marple to the potential arrival of a Tesco or Asda?'.

The point about a new supermarket is that it is NOT 5 or 6 miles away - it's a few hundred yards away! I honestly believe that apart from the Co-op and Iceland, the currently thriving retailers in Marple (Littlewoods, White's, Neal's, Wilson's, Hollins, Archers, the pet shop, Harmony Decor, Edel Carpets, the car spares shops and many more) have nothing to fear from Tesco or Asda and evrything to gain. As for the views of these businesses themselves, I realise that their group has come out against the supermarket, but I wonder whether all members really share that views, or whether they may be closing ranks to protect their weaker members. I was in Scotland recently: Tesco are planning a new supermarket on the edge of Fort Wiliam, and the local chamber of commerce is all in favour. Interesting contrast there!   

mum_of_2

« Reply #823 on: August 30, 2011, 12:57:50 AM »

Oh and I agree re the responsibility of parents re children crossing roads etc but more cars trucks etc equals more risk.  
very true but there are worse areas to live where gun and knife crime are at peak....nowhere in this world is EVER going to be safe, but thats just something we have to deal with and make sure we talk through the risks with our children......but how many adults can honestly say they have ran accross a busy/main road without waiting for a green man etc......i have.
i mean how many adults can honestly say they HAVE NOT**

mum_of_2

« Reply #822 on: August 30, 2011, 12:34:03 AM »

Oh and I agree re the responsibility of parents re children crossing roads etc but more cars trucks etc equals more risk.  
very true but there are worse areas to live where gun and knife crime are at peak....nowhere in this world is EVER going to be safe, but thats just something we have to deal with and make sure we talk through the risks with our children......but how many adults can honestly say they have ran accross a busy/main road without waiting for a green man etc......i have.

mum_of_2

« Reply #821 on: August 30, 2011, 12:29:37 AM »
Hi another area has been suggested and mooted by the council-cannot remember the name as it is late and my brain is fried but it is at the back of the town near the post office-rumour is it is going and site will become available.  Much more suitable in my opinion-but I accept maybe not in yours.  Also the Co-op have agreed in principle to release part of the Hanburys site to a competitor-I am not convinced it would work though and feel the post office area with its car park etc would be better. 

i believe that the sorting office (if it were to sell) would be too small, and would just turn into a 'local' or 'express' supermarket...more of a convenience store and less of a decent sized one that people are so desperatly after. We need somewhere to do a decent sized shop with all types of brands from value/ smart price (for example) to heinz/kelloggs.
Im not saying that hibbert lae is perfect (as we do understnd it is smack bang in the middle of a residential area...so its understandable why people are angry), but tere does not seem be anothersuitable sized area.....unless co-op sold its land (and we all know that will not happen)

Sareena

« Reply #820 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:45 AM »
I agree that a supermarket would be much more suitable in the centre of Marple but It is the college that is selling up so i think it's pointless saying where else it could be.

Although I will  not like the fact that the roads will be alot busier and less safe, this doesn't matter much to me because I have a gate to lock so my child can't get out without me.

Maria

« Reply #819 on: August 30, 2011, 12:22:33 AM »