Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701602 times)

NeilCorrie

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #488 on: July 31, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
I though that i'd give people a true idea of the size of the COM site, as someone said that it wasn't that big.
I should also point out that there is no "technical trickary" at play here, everything you see is to the same scale.

Interesting post Smithy166.  While we're not entirely sure it's necessarily Tesco wanting to buy the site, the comparison gives a really good insight into possible supermarket size.  Any folk think it's going to be a quaint little Tesco Express should have their illusions shattered by your images.

Smithy166

« Reply #487 on: July 31, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »
I though that i'd give people a true idea of the size of the COM site, as someone said that it wasn't that big.
I should also point out that there is no "technical trickary" at play here, everything you see is to the same scale.

Interesting to note that both the Tesco sites are incomplete. They have both been 'trimmed' to make them look smaller than they actually are.
Yes, i removed the fuel garage, as i'm not 100% sure if tesco is going to add a fuel station on the COM development, apart from that everything else is there.

You're not 100% sure they will have a clothing department either, so why not reduce it for that also? Same applies to every other department. If you're going to compare the sites do it honestly and properly.

In fact, you're not 100% sure that Tesco are even interested in opening in Marple. It could be any of the supermarkets.

I'm going off the fact that tescos has expressed interest in purchasing the site. And i would also point out that the comparision is purely to show people the size of the land, not what tescos (or any other food chain) could build on the site.

At any rate, the site is still huge, and has more than enough space to accomodate a full blown superstore, which is what that comparision set out to show.

Harry

« Reply #486 on: July 31, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »

Interesting to note that both the Tesco sites are incomplete. They have both been 'trimmed' to make them look smaller than they actually are.
Yes, i removed the fuel garage, as i'm not 100% sure if tesco is going to add a fuel station on the COM development, apart from that everything else is there.

You're not 100% sure they will have a clothing department either, so why not reduce it for that also? Same applies to every other department. If you're going to compare the sites do it honestly and properly.

In fact, you're not 100% sure that Tesco are even interested in opening in Marple. It could be any of the supermarkets.

Smithy166

« Reply #485 on: July 31, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »

Harry

« Reply #484 on: July 31, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »

Taurus

« Reply #483 on: July 31, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
I've just watched the 'TOWN' programme on BBC iplayer that was on during the week. It was about Ludlow and there was a bit about Tescos wanting to build a store on the outskirts of the town. Naturally the town was concerned that the store would take custom away from the local shops and eventually it was agreed that Tesco would build in the centre of the town.

Smithy166

« Reply #482 on: July 31, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »

Harry

« Reply #481 on: July 31, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
Even if the college had been successfull with their bid for funding, they would still have been looking to sell the Hibbert Lane site, so all this about missing deadlines by 2 weeks is a red herring and is diverting attention from the real issues.
In Aug 2006 the college was already looking at selling the land.

No they weren't.

The original plan was to build on the Hibbert Lane car park and then demolish the old building.

It was the Buxton Lane site that had an uncertain future at that time.

Victor M

« Reply #480 on: July 31, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »
Even if the college had been successfull with their bid for funding, they would still have been looking to sell the Hibbert Lane site, so all this about missing deadlines by 2 weeks is a red herring and is diverting attention from the real issues.
In Aug 2006 the college was already looking at selling the land.

Maria

« Reply #479 on: July 31, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »
Circled by the Peak Forest Canal, Marple Village is less than one mile from the development and offers a range of local amenities for all your everyday needs. Alongside a selection of shops and restaurants, the village is also dotted with plenty of traditional pubs, and it boasts one of the country's few remaining independent cinemas.

It's a village surrounded by natural beauty, with endless canal tow path walks and numerous parks to relax in, including The Roman Lakes - popular with anglers, walkers, horse riders and nature lovers.

And if you like to up the pace a little in your free time, you can make the most of the local leisure and sports clubs too, including a swimming pool, football, rugby, cricket and golf clubs.

The above is taken from a housing development site advertising new houses in Marple and to me summaries why we do not need a superstore.

Apathy must be overcome and we must do all we can in a proactive cohesive way if we are going to beat the proposed application.  Have any further meetings/gatherings to discuss who can do what been set up? One large group will be more effective rather than small groups of individuals.

Dave

« Reply #478 on: July 31, 2011, 12:11:39 PM »
I may be able to throw a bit of light on the issue of the funding application by camsfc to the Learning and Skills Council (LSC) in 2008. AFAIK it wasn't really a missed deadline at all. What happened was that the LSC suddenly discovered they had massively over-committed capital funding to college building projects all over the country. That is, they promised far more money than they actually had! It was quite a scandal at the time - there were many colleges whose project planning was at an advanced stage, who were suddenly told they couldn't have any capital funding after all! I gather Aquinas only just got under the wire. This was all very sudden, and until then there was no reason for any college to believe that funds were about to run out. So I think the cock up, if there was one, was probably at the LSC.   

heather

« Reply #477 on: July 31, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »
as i stated on the 17th august 2006 these thing are cut and dried long before they become public knowledge

heather

« Reply #476 on: July 31, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »
as this rumour has been going round for ever and now proves to be true   how did supposedly  well educated people apply for the grant two weeks late it smells a bit fishy to me  they must have known the time frame to apply

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #475 on: July 31, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »
To JMC - I believe other supermarket chain was Waitrose - offered £6m. Housing would generate £2m, Tesco offered £12m.
Was told this by the chap behind the counter at White's butchers.

Not quite the same as what we heard when it was discovered that the college governors met to discuss bids received last week. Then it was said that bids were received from Tesco, Sainsbury and Waitrose, with the Waitrose bid being too low. At the Area Committee Meeting Tesco and Asda were mentioned as the two being considered, so all that seems to be clear is that we're not certain who the two really are.

An interesting comment passed at the Area Committee in the Park was that the college grant application (that was apparently submitted two weeks too late) was only for £7M, so why do they need £12M now?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

JMC

« Reply #474 on: July 31, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »
To JMC - I believe other supermarket chain was Waitrose - offered £6m. Housing would generate £2m, Tesco offered £12m.
Was told this by the chap behind the counter at White's butchers.

Thanks Cyberman.