Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Tesco / ASDA !!!  (Read 701701 times)

Harry

Re: Tesco / ASDA !!!
« Reply #398 on: July 28, 2011, 03:01:57 PM »
Unless I'm very much mistaken, Asda and Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove are both directly on a dual carriageway

You are very much mistaken.

marple_syrup

« Reply #397 on: July 28, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
And the a6 is obviously comparable in your minds to Hibbert Lane, or even to Stockport Road?
And Poynton, Bradford, Cheadle Hulme, even Hazel Grove are SO FAR RREMOVED FROM A MOTORWAY OR DUAL CARRIAGEWAY AS MARPLE?  Which was actually my question.  And I mentioned the Co-op myself!!
 Dave your speciality in particular is picking one word to undermine the essence of the argument.  If you seriously believe that the road network in Marple, meaning Hibbert Lane, Stockport Road, Wndlehurst Road, and Church Lane... ie. Every road that could be used to travel to the proposed supermarket... Is similar to the A6 in Hazel Grove, Macclesfield Road through Poynton, or the A57 that passes directly past the Glossop Tescos, you are absolutely deluded man.

Belle Star

« Reply #396 on: July 28, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »
I know Dave will try and shoot me down, but I simply cannot think of another supermarket that would be so far moved from a motorway or dual carriageway.  

An invitation I can surely not refuse, marple-syrup!  For starters, how about the Co-op!   Also Asda and Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove,

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Asda and Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove are both directly on a dual carriageway

Dave

« Reply #395 on: July 28, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »
I know Dave will try and shoot me down, but I simply cannot think of another supermarket that would be so far moved from a motorway or dual carriageway.  

An invitation I can surely not refuse, marple-syrup!  For starters, how about the Co-op!   Also Asda and Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove, Tesco's in Glossop, Waitrose in Cheadle Hulme and Poynton, Morrison's and Waitrose in Buxton.

If Cllr McKay has stood down? do we know if the Governing Body is obliged to have a representative Cllr on their board - what is the legal standing on this?

I think they are advised that it is good practice, but not a legal requirement.  This is simply because in practice it would be unenforceable.

I still struggle to understand how the college GB can have so much weight in an issue as big as this?

Welcome to the future, Jo!  The present government, just like the previous two, is is hell-bent on reducing the powers of local authorities, and one of the ways they have done this is by taking colleges and then, increasingly, schools, away from local authority control. Hence the various forms of non-LA controlled schools that we now have - foundation schools, academies, and (coming soon), 'free schools'.  These will all be very much like camsfc - no local accountability, only a freestanding board governors who can do whatever they like.

Harry

« Reply #394 on: July 28, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »
.... I simply cannot think of another supermarket that would be so far moved from a motorway or dual carriageway.  Not one.  Never mind even a large A road.

Without even thinking about it, the following come to mind:

Tesco, Glossop
Morrisons, Bradford
Morrisons, Chesterfield
Asda, Hazel Grove
Sainsburys, Hazel Grove

None of the above are near a motorway or dual carriageway. Some of them are on already overcrowded roads.

Oh! I missed an obvious one.

The Co-op, Marple

Harry

« Reply #393 on: July 28, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
.... I simply cannot think of another supermarket that would be so far moved from a motorway or dual carriageway.  Not one.  Never mind even a large A road.

Without even thinking about it, the following come to mind:

Tesco, Glossop
Morrisons, Bradford
Morrisons, Chesterfield
Asda, Hazel Grove
Sainsburys, Hazel Grove

None of the above are near a motorway or dual carriageway. Some of them are on already overcrowded roads.

Victor Meldrew

« Reply #392 on: July 28, 2011, 02:06:30 PM »
What about the employment that would be created,we already have the CO-OP and that hasnt taken away all the local buisiness

This is taken directly from www.tescopoly.org on the "basic facts about supermarkets" page

Supermarkets destroy local jobs. Supermarket claims that new stores bring in jobs fail to consider the wider picture of independent retailer bankruptcies. A 1998 study by the National Retailer Planning Forum (NRPF) examining the employment impacts of 93 superstore openings between 1991 and 1994 found that they resulted in a net loss of more than 25,000 jobs or 276 per store opened. More information on the impact of supermarkets on jobs is available in Chapter 13 of the Competition Commission report on the power of the supermarkets.

The weak point is the college. They thought that we wouldnt bat an eyelid at what they propose to do. It is them who hold the cards at this time. There is still time to persuade the board of governors to "do the right thing" and opt for a different sales ethic.

A brilliant point and a brilliant post. Imagine if every Governor received 200 or more letters like Mike's!!!

Please, everyone who is against this proposal, GET WRITING!!!

You are spot on about the loss of jobs which result in new supermarkets, which has been proven time and time again. Not only that, but the quality of jobs and the salary level paid to workers also plummets. Many people, unfortunately, just buy the myth that 'big and shiny new' means progress.

We get bulk & locally unavailable shopping items online, usually fortnightly, which leaves us free to shop locally for as much as possible, so I can't understand why some people on here argue that a new supermarket is good because it will save them petrol from driving to supermarkets 4 + miles away. They don't need to drive anywhere - the 21st century is here.

lexymunro

« Reply #391 on: July 28, 2011, 01:48:06 PM »
I'm sending one of these letters to each governor at CAMSFC and would urge you all to do similar.

Marple Campus  
Hibbert Lane  
Marple  
Stockport  
SK6 7PA

28th July 28, 2011

Re:  Proposed Sale of Hibbert Lane Campus

Dear Lawrie Grant

I am writing to you regarding the information, which is now in the public domain, that CAMSFC is proposing to enter into a deal with one of the major supermarkets.

As a resident of Marple during my childhood, and more recently as a parent of two young children, my family and I are STRONGLY opposed to the Hibbert Lane Campus becoming a supermarket on the following grounds:

•   We, along with many other local residents, chose to live in Marple because of its quiet village nature and its thriving local centre comprising small, friendly shops.  The presence of a large supermarket would unquestionably change this.

•   We are very worried about the inevitable drop in house prices.

•   We are seriously concerned about the impact of increased traffic in the area, including air and noise pollution and safety to other road users, including pedestrians and cyclists.  As it is Marple is choked with traffic at peak times.  There simply isn’t room.

•   Aesthetically the whole area would be changed into just another faceless town.

•   Whilst the college requires upgrading, its reputation would be irrevocably damaged by the adverse publicity, which will undoubtedly be huge.

I urge you to reconsider your plans and put community goodwill and the 25 000 residents of Marple at the heart of your decisions.  I believe, as a community institution, that you have a moral responsibility to do this.  Indeed, I woud direct you to your own website and following claim:

"The Marple campus is close to the centre of the attractive village of Marple and both our sites, at Hibbert Lane and Buxton Lane, are surrounded by extensive grounds to give a great feeling of space and freedom."

We are all well aware of what happens when the large supermarkets appeal planning decisions, so I feel very strongly indeed that the buck stops with you, the governors, and you alone.  Please do the right thing, for Marple, and globalisation as a whole, and sell to a developer who will help retain Marple’s unique character.

I look forward to a response.

Basementlife

« Reply #390 on: July 28, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »
Local campaign resources.....

http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=708&Itemid=167

Maybe Tesco and A.N.Other are offering the College a 2 for 1 or double points deal :)

Howard

« Reply #389 on: July 28, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »
By the way. There were a number of people using Twitter at the meeing last night. Those of you using it should use the #nototesco and #marple hashtags. You should also subscribe to the list run by local resident Michael Taylor which is @MarpleLeaf/marple-tweeters

If you want to be added to his directory of local people using Twitter then message him at @MarpleLeaf

acoustician

« Reply #388 on: July 28, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
quite right, heres the others;

Link 1

Linkl2

to make a link;

Click the little world symbol (hover over and a 'Insert Hyperlink' tooltip pops up

In the first square brackets that pops up, after url add '=link' where link is what you want to link to; its easiest to just copy and paste from the address bar of the site what want to link to.

Add some text between the two sets of square brackets in the middle, this is what will go blue and become a link.

Code: [Select]
[url=www.example.com]Example Text[/url]

will produce

Example Text

with a link to www.example.com.

Sorry cant make it any simpler than that with this forum software ;)

Miss Marple

« Reply #387 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
lAST NIGHTS MEETING IS ON UTUBE.  Oh my god ! I wish someone had let me know they were filming I would have had a shampoo and set  :D

Links !
Oh I don't know how to do that , but I know a man who can. There are five videos on

;D

acoustician

« Reply #386 on: July 28, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
lAST NIGHTS MEETING IS ON UTUBE.  Oh my god ! I wish someone had let me know they were filming I would have had a shampoo and set  :D

Links !

;D

Miss Marple

« Reply #385 on: July 28, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »

marple_syrup

« Reply #384 on: July 28, 2011, 01:18:15 PM »
I know Dave will try and shoot me down, but I simply cannot think of another supermarket that would be so far moved from a motorway or dual carriageway.  Not one.  Never mind even a large A road.  The bridge on Windlehurst Road, the narrow Church Lane, the junction at Hibbert Lane/Stockport Road... It's the most unsuited set up to a large supermarket I can think of.  The way the Coop effects traffic around Hollins Lane is bad enough already when there are deliveries etc... I simply cannot agree that things would improve should a supermarket be built.