To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Marple area chippies  (Read 31810 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Marple area chippies
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 01:44:52 AM »
I would welcome advise on the approx cost of fish, chips (and peas if poss).

And whether they are served in insulated containers or paper wrapped from:

Hawk Green

Town St.

The Goyt Chippy

Derby Way.
Judging by the unpleasant smell emanating from the Derby Way shop suggests it might be best avoided.

There's a chippy on Hollins Lane in Marple. Fish and chips costs £3. The product isn't bad as chippies go.

Heritage

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 02:37:21 PM »
Lily - doesn't all that faffing around with air frying and cooking the food at home - nice though it sounds - sort of miss the point of what going to the chippy is all about?  :(

Lily

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
I very rarely use 'chippies' as they are all so variable (as proved by the discussions on another thread).  It used to be that a 'chip shop meal' was a cheap meal which is no longer the case - plus the cost of fuel if you have to drive to one.

If the chips have been kept 'hot' rather than fresh out of the fat then they can be quite cool by the time you reach home.  I have, in the past, zapped them in the microwave to bring them up to a more acceptable temperature.

I have a decent thermostatically controlled (safe) deep fat fryer (which can be totally dismantled and all but the element can go in the dishwasher).  My own family prefer my home made chips to any purchased from a chippy and you can always get decent 'frozen' fish to bake in the oven while your chips are cooking.

I'm actually considering trying one of these 'new fangled' dry air chip cookers as that would be even safer than 'deep fat'. 

You can also make nice 'healthy' chips by the following method:-

Don't peel the potatoes just cut them into wedges.  Place on a baking tray, skin side down and bake in the oven on gas 6, middle shelf, for approx 30-40 mins.  You can sprinkle the wedges with a little salt and pepper before cooking or spray them with 'one cal'. The cut sides of the potatoes brown up nicely while the insides should be soft. Enjoy!!

alan@marple

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
Thanks Heritage for the link, but I was more interested in the price from our Local Chippys.

My question about the wrappings is related to the distance from Home to the chippy and keeping them as hot a possible

Duke Fame

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »
Try:

www.whatprice.co.uk/fish_chips.html

And there is your national picture

Bare in mind a cod fillet will set you back £2.70 before it's cooked. I'd like to see chipped being brave and moving to the more sustainable pollock.

Heritage

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
Try:

www.whatprice.co.uk/fish_chips.html

And there is your national picture

alan@marple

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
I would welcome advise on the approx cost of fish, chips (and peas if poss).

And whether they are served in insulated containers or paper wrapped from:

Hawk Green

Town St.

The Goyt Chippy

Derby Way.

alan@marple

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »
Well today I was going to try some lunchtime chips, I noticed that the chippy had a grade 5 listing which was displayed in the window
issued by Stockport MBC. As I looked through the window I saw the lady at the cooking range attending to the cooking, she had long hair hanging over the range and whatever was cooking. Had she been wearing protective headwear to prevent hair falling into the chips, I might have gone in, but on seeing that- I changed my mind- not hygienic to my mind.

I hasten to add it was NOT the Town Street fryer, so as I can't mention the name on this site, work it out and take a look next time you pass a chippy

amazon

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
Sorry Boys & Girls... I've tried em' all, and Town Street Fryer is the winner.

Not sure how much of  a winner it can be when it runs out of fish at 6.00pm on a Saturday evening - very mediocre and pricey .
If they ran out of fish they must have been busy .ithink that speaks for itself .

The Giffer

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »

Not sure how much of  a winner it can be when it runs out of fish at 6.00pm on a Saturday evening - very mediocre and pricey .

Belly

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
For me, the best chippy in Marple is Goyt Fish Bar.

The queues out of the door of a night would suggest that I'm not the only one to think that. I'm not sure I've ever had better. Just a shame that its hardly ever open - but I guess that just makes you appreciate it when you get the chance to visit.

amazon

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »

And the post office .

gazwhite

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »

bluebelly

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 09:00:42 AM »
matts plaice in bredbury beats it hands down.

Harry

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 02:48:23 PM »
I agree. Hawk Green Friary does the best fish and chips, and Chinese meals, in the area.